• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD Hugo TT2 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 82 22.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 126 34.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 123 33.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 34 9.3%

• Total voters

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What? You're saying he's not talking about hearing when he says explicitly that: "one can hear levels of noise floor modulation down to -200dB". There's no other meaning to the word "hear" that I'm aware of.
Yes, that is what I am saying, he is describing effects of noise floor MODULATION.

if noise floor modulation is say around -120 dB (typical class D) you get considerable hardness and glare; at -140 dB its grain in the treble; below -160 dB then things sound much smoother with better instrument separation and focus. This continues until about -200dB (and perhaps even lower - reducing RF noise is not something that has an acceptable limit).

DonR

Major Contributor
Yes, that is what I am saying, he is describing effects of noise floor MODULATION.

if noise floor modulation is say around -120 dB (typical class D) you get considerable hardness and glare; at -140 dB its grain in the treble; below -160 dB then things sound much smoother with better instrument separation and focus. This continues until about -200dB (and perhaps even lower - reducing RF noise is not something that has an acceptable limit).
How does he know this is what he is hearing or what he imagines he is hearing?

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning

My understanding is that nothing, even the most state of the art gear, has a noise floor below around -140dB, and that's where out tools for measuring it tap out anyway.

Given that RW has never heard a noisefloor of -200dB I'm baffled that he'd make these claims, controlled listening test or no.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sorry, but you're just making this up. I'd like you to demonstrate any modulation process with the modulating signal at -200dB producing anything at all audible. And yes, audible means "can be heard by natural humans" to be precise.

Oh, and yes, RW changed the -200dB claim to -300dB in later talks. The dynamic range of a nearby nuclear explosion is just about 200dB SPL :) I can't imagine how painful it must be for RW to live in a world where any normal sound is at the level of a nuclear explosion! ;)

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, but you're just making this up. I'd like you to demonstrate any modulation process with the modulating signal at -200dB producing anything at all audible. And yes, audible means "can be heard by natural humans" to be precise.

Oh, and yes, RW changed the -200dB claim to -300dB in later talks. The dynamic range of a nearby nuclear explosion is just about 200dB SPL :) I can't imagine how painful it must be for RW to live in a world where any normal sound is at the level of a nuclear explosion! ;)
Haha!
I have my doubts too, so I am not the one to demonstrate anything.
I was just saying, what he actually is claiming regarding the noise floor (again shouting MODULATION).
If the claim is valid or not, that's another matter.
I wasn't agreeing with the claim.

Sokel

Master Contributor
This one came out around the same time, cost only $70, gets you within 5 SINAD points:

Obviously not as good of a headphone amp, but add another $ 100:

That left you with $ 5625 in your 2018 pocket (it was cheaper in 2018) ;) That more than $ 6.6k in todays money :cool:
What's the difference if you're rich or some kind of fanatic (from both sides)?
There both toys.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There both toys.
Yeah! Exactly! That was precisely the point. You said it had good performance considering the time it came out. I show that some $170 of “toys” gives you similar performance.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Honesty in marketing. That and the world would be a genuinely better place if you bought a $200 device and gave $6,000 to charity, with literally no difference to you.
Marketing as is everything.
Come persuade my wife that she does not need a 5K bag.It's impossible.
And that's all big peoples toys.If it brings fun everything is in the right place.

World would be a much better place if there wasn't any need for charities.
At all.
But now it is what it is.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Yeah! Exactly! That was precisely the point. You said it had good performance considering the time it came out. I show that some $170 of “toys” gives you similar performance.
Agreed,both inaudible (except the headphone amp).
So you decide with your pocket,as everything else.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Modulating below the level of threshold of hearing is inaudible just as well. Can you tell if the temp in your room is modulating up and down at 0.01 degrees?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Modulating below the level of threshold of hearing is inaudible just as well. Can you tell if the temp in your room is modulating up and down at 0.01 degrees?
No I can not.
Nor am I agreeing with the claim, I find it difficult to understand.
My aim was to accurately relay his claim FWIW, not to justify it.

diaolodoro

At least let's appreciate it's objectively an good to excellent audio product without weird "musical" subjective distortions.
It might be extremely overpriced but at least it's good, which is not always the case in expensive "audiophile" gear.

sofrep811

Thx, Amir.

Chord should just jump the shark and make an audiophile PC – Drop an entry level Dell in a case made of African Black Wood.

Then sell it for $30K.

At least the wood would be something you could sell in a couple months once the tech goes obsolete.

Reactions: VQR

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I suppose it draws a crowd (strikes a chord? :) ), so that stands for something. I like that it's not the average DAC in a box in appearance, though I'm not exactly sold on its aesthetics either.

garbz

At least let's appreciate it's objectively an good to excellent audio product.
I'd appreciate it more if they knew the difference between 50ohm and 75ohm BNC connectors and would ship the correct ones on a product of that price.

Does it make a performance difference? No. Does it smell of overly expensive incompetence? Absolutely.

Top Bottom