• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Hugo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 77 25.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 111 37.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 87 29.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 8.3%

• Total voters

Jomungur

With all due respect, I think taking $4k headphones out of the house is bordering on insanity (and I'd struggle to justify buying them at all). :)
No offense taken. Look at it this way. If you paid $4k+ for headphones that made you happy and had to travel a lot, you might try to figure out a way to listen to it as much as you can.

threni

Major Contributor
Whether you think this is ugly or beautiful is completely subjective.
It passed the measurement standards for portable devices and it is one of the finest so far measured on this site, we should give it credits where its due.
Now the price.... It's pretty much the big barricade here. I am convinced that most people in this hobby, even hardcore audiophiles don't like this price and some think it's not worth the MSRP.

This makes me wonder... If products made from china companies can easily top the SINAD score and they can sell them for very competitive prices.... What can western-based companies do to remain strong in this competition? They obviously do not have an advantage in prices, labor costs, maintenance fees etc.... I think it's a bit helpless.
Just state "buy this product and if it fails in the first 5 years you'll get a replacement for free within 48 hours". Sorry but I'm not buying anything expensive that's not covered for 5 years. If companies want to rush stuff out untested like it's software that's fine but the handling of any resulting problems should be as painless for me as quickly updating the software too.

bennetng

Major Contributor
The filter point was interesting. They are extremely subtle for sure and I can't say 100% that I hear a difference between them (I don't have them on me but I wouldn't put good odds on being able to pass a blind test with them). I believe the high frequency ones are the same that the DAVE uses. Amir, if you have time you might want to try listening and see if you hear a difference in the filters. There is almost no pause when switching them. But if you do hear a difference, then something is happening that is not being picked up at the measurements.
It is rather difficult to spot small frequency response differences with a highly zoomed out white noise even by eyes. Frequency response measurements are usually presented in this way. Audibility is another topic of course. I would recommend Amir include this test in all future DAC tests, especially the ones with different filter choices.

index.php

Another example of frequency response test, but on ADC:
index.php

The frequency response ripple on the RME is originated from the AKM ADC chip itself, RME later also has firmware update to reduce the ripple by utilizing the processing power of the onboard FPGA.

Last edited:

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No offense taken. Look at it this way. If you paid $4k+ for headphones that made you happy and had to travel a lot, you might try to figure out a way to listen to it as much as you can.
I second that.
I'm taking my Aeon Noire out and about daily and if I had the money for DCA Stealth I would do so as well.
I have speakers for listening to music at home and listening to headphones outside is not as boring as sitting at the desk all the time imho

Katji

Major Contributor
But a little more than that, is it still worth, or? Perhaps?BUT 3K is two darn expensive.Would be interesting if those who write in the thread stated a numerical figure on how much money they could imagine giving, what they consider it worth. Amir said $ 600. Or rather, Amir said, "I think we should expect them to sell it for $ 600."

OT, speaking of two darn. Now it is England that is experiencing extreme heat. Record apparently.
Yes. I saw that just now - 41 predicted. Incredible.

Although the song is about sex, or rather it is too hot to have sex but still.:)
I know one place where it is normally well over 40 in the hot season, and the birth rate is quite high. They have beds on the roof, or aircon.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Yes. I saw that just now - 41 predicted. Incredible.

I know one place where it is normally well over 40 in the hot season, and the birth rate is quite high. They have beds on the roof, or aircon.
I agree with Ella Fitzgerald. Too hot for a northerner anyway , i skip it. :)

I also pass Chord Hugo 2, too expensive. Especially considering what you get for the money.:oops:

Last edited:

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
It seems to me that an important driver of audio tech is the development of defined purpose chips. We start a new branch of tech with a bunch of chips and discrete devices on a PC board wrapped in a large box. Next wave, we have fewer chips performing the same task, not quite as well, but at half the cost. Meanwhile, the industry also provides miniature (portable) dongles and small boxes that do the same thing poorly with one or two special purpose chips designed just for this task. Steadily, the chips get larger and better, rivaling the old multi-chip and discrete performance. Before long, the single, multi-purpose chips get as good or better than the original, first-issue boxes.

That's the knee of the curve in cost versus performance. We have seen this in DACS and class D amps in the last ten years. The first decently performing items using newer tech sell for (like) $3500. Then, $2000. Then, $750. Then, $250 and even $100.

Along the way, opportunists will attempt to sell you the new chip tech at last gen prices, ie, $150 worth of tech for $2500. This might be such an example.

As another example, the function of a WiiM streamer, four years ago, might cost $3000. Then, $850. Now, $89. Meanwhile, the braggarts who bought in at $3000 will make assertive efforts to discredit the new devices: 'can't recommend it to others because it doesn't do Roon...' or such.

For the economical audiophile wanting to employ new tech, unless you are wonderfully wealthy, it's better NOT to be an early adopter, eh?
(Brag rights notwithstanding.)

-Just one man's view

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not a fan of two separate USB inputs one for data and the other for charging. Why not charge using the data connection?

The micro-USB is automatically enough to make me hate something, and gives pretty much any device a distinctly "cheap" feel to it now that USB-C has been around for a while. For the cost they should convert it over since its fairly minor changes to the tooling

I think both of you are missing the reason for the separate USB connector for charging and why it’s a micro USB.

This is a portable device with an internal battery. In EU all mobile phones are required to have a micro USB charger. As this device will be used with a mobile phone it’s logical to use the same connector the mobile phone charger use. That way you don’t have to carry a different charger with you.

Similarly, if there has been a single USB port, the mobile phone would be charging the device, depleting it’s battery quickly. Furthermore, with a single USB port you wouldn’t be able to use the device while charging the its battery.

Get it? :)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

juliangst

In EU Apple ships iPhones with a micro USB to Lightning adapter.
I've never seen any iPhone coming with a micro USB adapter. Older iPhones come with lightning to USB A and most new iPhones come with Lightning to USB C

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Along the way, opportunists will attempt to sell you the new chip tech at last gen prices, ie, $150 worth of tech for $2500. This might be such an example.
You may want to study the company because you are very wrong. Their designs are the total opposite of what you say. They create their own circuits using programmable ASIC FPGA. They don’t use off-the-shelf chips.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
I think both of you are missing the reason for the separate USB connector for charging and why it’s a micro USB.

This is a portable device with an internal battery. In EU all mobile phones are required to have a micro USB charger. As this device will be used with a mobile phone it’s logical to use the same connector the mobile phone charger use. That way you don’t have to carry a different charger with you.

Similarly, if there has been a single USB port, the mobile phone would be charging the device, depleting it’s battery quickly. Furthermore, with a single USB port you wouldn’t be able to use the device while charging the its battery.

Get it? :)
Not sure where you got that. It was just in the news that EU was about to force Mobile phone manufacturers to include USB-C connectors for charging... I have never heard of an already in place direction about micro USB. This new thing is making waves already with outrage from apple....

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never seen any iPhone coming with a micro USB adapter. Older iPhones come with lightning to USB A and most new iPhones come with Lightning to USB C
Are you talking about the small white, less than half an inch long adapter or the cable?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
In EU Apple ships iPhones with a micro USB to Lightning adapter.

Does it?, I’ve had every iPhone since the og and no adapters included.

Top Bottom