• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord DAVE Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 295 60.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 121 24.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 46 9.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 24 4.9%

• Total voters

Azathoth

Well, just like the rest of these luxury items sound quality takes a back seat, it's more marketing and buzzwords filling the buyer with a sense of exceptionalism as they adorn their stacks with these jewels.

Speaking of Dave, does Dave from EEVBlog visit this forum I wonder?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I am still there with my RME ADI-2 Pro as my desktop device, the volume button doesn't do what it should do when I turn it, but the RME allows me to control so many things, that I have kept it, and not even bought yet a ToTopping.
Do you have the latest Firmware? Not 100% sure but AFAIK they fixed that button-problem a few months ago.

garbulky

Major Contributor
There is a long road from here to 123 dB SINAD that competitors at a fraction of the price achieve.
Amir I have heard manufacturers scoff that it’s easy to get whatever incredibly high SNR or Thd values you want. Just increase feedback, they say. What are your thoughts? Is this truly as easy as they say to achieve or beat these flagship results?

Mrgoogle

tumblr_nqumn4ephf1tq4of6o1_400.gifv

... for that sort of money one would expect a 100% SOTA DAC and surely a more luxurious look.

Here is under the hood;

View attachment 220047

JSmith
I notice that electrolyte at right side close to headphone jack is swelling , it shows that it is dry capacitor because of heat !! is it the same unit that Amir measure it ?
1658669443778.png

jacko

The Brits strike again! Rob Watts is probably only a simple patsy at this point. There was a commenter who defended Chord on the basis they were founded by some involved in the "defence" industry... well these results seem to track with the level of overpay you see there! But at least this DAC will not spy on you and send what you are listening back to HQ in some far off country.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Hey thanks for doing this so we can all see the results and for taking any risk on shipping/handling as well.

It was released May 2015... however is still sold as a current product. Once again it seems Chord cannot update their models, but just keep selling the same thing for many years.

JSmith
This is a review, detailed measurements and listening tests of CHORD DAVE combination DAC and headphone amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $14,000.
View attachment 220013
Having been frustrated with the user interface of lower end Chord products with their color Morse codes, I was really looking forward to using the DAVE with its color LCD. The display certainly helps a lot in being able to use the product. Alas, poor attention to usability still abounds. Navigating the settings using four buttons seems anything but logical. I had to keep pushing buttons to get to what I wanted. The manual is no help as it doesn't show the sequence of buttons to get to any settings. The center control can be pushed but that just mutes things. Changing some modes like DAC or Pre mode requires simultaneous press of two buttons which was a hassle as well.

The display is slanted back and I had to tilt the unit forward to take the above picture from nearly up top. Otherwise, everything but the top two squares wash out due to low contrast. Forget about putting this in a stereo cabinet and using it remotely. You won't be able to see anything.

The volume control is another nod to looks than function. The metal knob is slippery and a bit shallow for good control. It does have acceleration which is good.

I found the bug in the time out mechanism for the display. In the midst of changing the volume control, the display would go black for a second and then come back.

Strangely from this company is lack of any anti-aliasing on the text causing pixels to not be seen in the fonts chosen! The result is a rather grainy look (better in person than the shot above though).

On the positive front, the unit is quite heavy and substantial. And I like the look of the circular display and the look of the UI.

Overall I give it B- when it comes to look and design of the interface.

Note: usually I don't take price into consideration when reviewing audio products. However, when we get to the extremes of price range, I do start to look at that. This is one those reviews especially since the designer talks extensively about attention to the smallest detail in measured performance. So be ready for me to analyze its performance in the same manner.

CHORD DAVE Measurements
I started with XLR output and putting the DAC in its "DAC mode" which fixes the output at an odd 6+ volts for balanced:
View attachment 220014

I was very surprised to see channel 2 noise floor dancing up and down significantly with SINAD going for the ride as well. Its distortion is also substantially higher than the other channel. To show you the variation, here is the SINAD over time:
View attachment 220015

As you see it sinks as much as 6 dB! The unit advertises galvanic isolation on USB but still, I thought noise over that bus may be a problem so I switched to Toslink (levels adjusted to 4 volts):
View attachment 220016
As you see, variations persisted. This is just unacceptable. Here is the USB mode again with output adjusted to 4 volts:

View attachment 220017

Using this last display, SINAD is "excellent" by our normal standards but simply not competitive when compared to countless other DACs at all prices that beat DAVE:
View attachment 220019

Notice how SINAD lands right next to Chord Mojo 2!

RCA output is actually a bit better as far as SINAD/distortion but it also has noise modulation:
View attachment 220018

To be sure there was nothing broken with my setup, I used the same cable and setup to test the Topping D70s that is on my bench and it performed superbly with none of the noise issues that DAVE has. Its SINAD variation was limited to decimal place, not whole numbers.

There is extra output voltage available if you need it:
View attachment 220021

Note however that clipping behavior is quite nasty. It generates a sole square wave with some ripple so do not go above +3 dB on the volume scale.

The higher noise floor impacted a number of other measurements starting with IMD distortion test vs level:

View attachment 220020

Its noise floor is landing on couple year old combo DAC and amp which costs only $250. Distortion is however lower as we can see reflected in multi-tone:
View attachment 220022

But then what is going on with those sidebands at lower frequencies???

Linearity looks good at high level but it is polluted by some amount of noise which we never see in more performant DACs:
View attachment 220023

Dynamic range as you can imagine is simply is not completive:
View attachment 220024

Here is a comparison to another custom high-end DAC, the Mola Mola Tambaqui
index.php

We are not even speaking the same language here!

Claim to fame of this product is its steep reconstruction filter and on that, company delivers:

View attachment 220025

There is an undocumented "HF Filter" which company recommends leaving on except when using their M-scaler. Here is its effect:

View attachment 220026

Odd that they would build you a sharp filter but then say you need to turn this other filter on and lose some of your upper end extension.

Distortion+noise relative to frequency is not bad but "not bad" is not a term you want to use with a very expensive DAC whose marketing story is precision of its implementation:

View attachment 220027

Chord DAVE Headphone Amplifier Measurements
Let's start with the noise performance:
View attachment 220028

That is disappointing:
View attachment 220029
So be careful in using sensitive IEMs as you may hear hiss and nosie.

There is decent amount of power to drive headphones but I like to see more:
View attachment 220030
View attachment 220031

Notice the variations in one channel especially which likely is due to the noise modulation we saw in the DAC measurements.

Our sweep of load impedances doesn't show any issues:
View attachment 220032

CHORD DAVE Listening Tests
I started my testing with my Dan Clark Stealth headphone which is the same one the DAC designer prefers. At low to medium volumes, the sound was excellent and I could not detect any impairments. Crank up the volume though and the sound proceeds to get shrill and congested. This is a difficult to drive headphone but again, for the kind of money you are paying, I don't expect compromises.

Switching to Sennheiser HD650 did not improve the situation much as predicted from measurements (not enough power for the class). Again at low to medium levels there was nothing to complain about. Crank it up though and shrillness and high frequency accentuation became way too much. Using DAVE DAC to drive the Topping A90 Discrete remedied that problem.

Overall, I could detect no magic or special qualities attributed to the filtering of the DAC. At low to medium levels it sounded like other DAC/Amps I have tested.

Conclusions
I always considered Chord products excellent but over designed. I now have to change that. The DAVE DAC does not perform anywhere near where it should. It is bested easily by DACs at $150. Its headphone amplifier is good but no match for higher powered units. It is a pretty DAC but usability is left behind. In my listening tests, I could detect no attribute that made it sound special. No, this is not a controlled test but neither are the reports to the contrary! Regardless, company's claim to fame is exacting implementation with concepts such as -300 dB and noise modulation mattering. So what is up then with my measurements?

I know someone may say my measurements are wrong. Well, where is the company measurements? Designer owns and uses same Audio Precision APx555 that I have. If it is all about precision of signal processing and implementation, where are their measurements? Their specs by the way are paltry and all use a-weighting filtering. Why filter the measurements? Why not let us see the true measurements if -300 dB matters in them?

I get that some of us, myself included, can afford and want high-end audio products. But for heaven's sake, get something that performs like its marketing. The aforementioned Mola Mola Tambaqui runs circles around Chord DAVE and gives you streaming functionality as well!

Company marketing line says: "DAVE stands for ‘Digital to Analogue Veritas in Extremis’, a moniker that best reflects the product's capability; a device so advanced and with so few compromises, that it is absolutely truthful in the extreme — a standard that all other DACs on the market simply cannot hope to match."

I see no extreme truth here. And a lot of compromises. Many other DACs not only match it, but exceed its performance provably.

Mind you, the impairments are there objectivity. Other than lack of amplification power, I doubt any of these issues are audible. Then again if you believe this, then you have not gotten what you paid for!

Anyway, a disappointing show from the company that hypes its technical expertise in every way possible. I suggest going back to the design and cleaning it up.

Needless to say, I can't recommend CHORD DAVE. Company needs to do better. A lot better.

P.S. All the panther are busy in the vegetable garden pulling weeds. Hence the reason you don't see them in the review picture.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Great review, and it would be better still if we could see the filter zoomed-in to see what happens around 22.05 kHz.

We are used to seeing the "DAC chart" ordered by SINAD, but is there a list of all DACs with date, price & SINAD that I can download (wget if not available via web browser) to look for trends in SINAD vs date or SINAD vs price?

the_brunx

I notice that electrolyte at right side close to headphone jack is swelling , it shows that it is dry capacitor because of heat !! is it the same unit that Amir measure it ?
View attachment 220175
Looks like something that will go completely bad after the warranty window. and Considering Chord's pricing I won't be surprised if they charge 4 figures to replace such a capacitor.

Last edited:

Here2Learn

You can take a Scotsman out of Scotland but nae luck in getting him to bring his wallet
What's he carrying in his sporran then? A warmed up stone to keep his John Thomas warm on cold nights, as well as to surprise the ladies when he highland dances up to her bumper baby?

JohnM-73

Looks like something that will go completely bad after the warranty window. and Considering Chord's pricing I won't be surprised if they charge 4 figures to replace such a capacitor.

Amir did say the unit runs extremely warm, which tracks with other reports out there too. Wonder if that capacitor is the (direct or indirect) reason for the poorer channel on this unit. And one must wonder how many other DAVEs might also have that cap issue too.

I jumped off the Chord bandwagon after having had 5 (not at the same time!!!) TT2s with various issues. Wasn’t impressed at all with their QC after those incidents. Perfectly happy with my Benchmark DAC3 HGC now.

Last edited:

spooky

Well, just like the rest of these luxury items sound quality takes a back seat, it's more marketing and buzzwords filling the buyer with a sense of exceptionalism as they adorn their stacks with these jewels.
You have listened to one? I guess it depends how you define or ‘measure’ sound quality.

A member here had a Qutest and came to my house, heard the Dave and bought one the next day. He seemed quite taken aback by the difference. I believe the Qutest reviewed well here?

Trell

Major Contributor
Do you have the latest Firmware? Not 100% sure but AFAIK they fixed that button-problem a few months ago.

Yup, a firmware update last December for encoder jumping and direction errors.

Top Bottom