• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord DAVE Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 295 60.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 121 24.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 46 9.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 24 4.9%

• Total voters

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes (to my ears) if you play it back on a dac with high pre and post ringing.
Which ones are those?

You know that any correctly recorded audio will have no such ringing? Only invalid samples (things like clipping, artificially created sounds) will result in ringing. If it’s audible is then another question.

Nango

Major Contributor
Not to mention that it seems to be a very Chinese practice for some reason. Many of the Chinese brands use Serif fonts. I guess Chord knew what they are competing with :facepalm:
Yes, given they are not cheaper than sans serifs I never understood why chinese mfr predominantly use serifs on their devices.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It usually appears on page two or three when some damn expensive product is tested and its performance is not in relation to the price. Or worse, underperforms in relation to price,or underperforms in general.
Also funny how that somehow is a justification… $14k underperforms and is broken.. oh, all is suddly well.. Wake up! If this one is broken, how do you know yours is not? Amir can’t be so unlucky that he always gets the broken ones…

chesebert

Which ones are those?

You know that any correctly recorded audio will have no such ringing? Only invalid samples (things like clipping, artificially created sounds) will result in ringing. If it’s audible is then another question.
The time domain impulse response of a dac completely defines the time domain characteristics of that dac. You use convolution to calculate the output with any given input and the dac’s impulse response

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Fidji

I wouldn’t know for sure unless I heard it. I always leave some wiggle room as audio is very subjective and personal. I was hoping you know what “digital” sounding means but I was wrong you have obvious never heard non “digital” sound reproduction in your life - go borrow a Linn turntable or some tape and get some listening experience

I believe you are aware, that LINN top of the range URIKA 2 phono pre digitizes the signal, right? How does this fit to your "digital evil" universe. And before you ask, yes, I do own KLIMAX spec LP12 and can compare how it sounds - its only use is to play records that are not available in digital format [basically my father's collection of 60s/early 70s LPs]
And, please sit down, it sounds even better, once you do AD/DA conversion in TRINNOV Optimizer for Room Correction. There are several reasons, why some vinyl records might sound "better" - most important one being different mastering with higher DR used compared to highly compressed digital editions. If I have a choice between LP and usually end of 80s CD [same master] CD is always miles ahead.

There is one thing very common among audiphiles "addiction to distortion" , manifesting in their affinity to tubes, vinyl etc.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Well that’s a bit disappointing Amit tests another broken unit / unknown provenance/ at least this wasn’t ‘cherry picked’ by the manufacturer!
Seriously though your work is invaluable every other forum is just a joke in comparison.
Keith

Sokel

Master Contributor
tumblr_nqumn4ephf1tq4of6o1_400.gifv

... for that sort of money one would expect a 100% SOTA DAC and surely a more luxurious look.

Here is under the hood;

View attachment 220047

JSmith
14K with a PS without an R-core transformer and an array of at least 50.000uF caps in a high-ish-end DAC?
This world is coming to an end!:p:facepalm::D

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
tumblr_nqumn4ephf1tq4of6o1_400.gifv

... for that sort of money one would expect a 100% SOTA DAC and surely a more luxurious look.

Here is under the hood;

View attachment 220047

JSmith
For that kind of money, I expect a concubine.

Another 'The price is the product' piece. I mean, I don't think this would be an especially good value at $1400; forget $14K. I don't think any DAC/ amp is worth that. You can get a passable used car for the same $. Maybe the zero key on somebody's keyboard is sticking?

ah-ra

Really, really bad! I always thought Chord would be something special, but this... Actually this confirms the impression I had when listening to a reference setup at this year's High End fair in Munich. All the expensive Chord electronics paired with B&W reference speakers. All in all probably near 100k in equipment, but the sound... Nothing special about it.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you guys know when this device was introduced into the market?
It would make quite a difference for a dac.
If it was say from 1997 that price at the time would have made sense for such performance... Kind of.
If it's from 2020 or after, quite nope...

One year more or less is so much time for dac technology.
That's actually quite impressive then, I'd be surprised if there was anything matching at the time. Maybe we've been too harsh on it, even though I still think $14000 is ridiculous!

EDIT: although I just saw a comment that they're still selling this model - well in that case we haven't been too harsh.......but an impressive technical feat for 2015 at it's initial release.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I wouldn’t know for sure unless I heard it. I always leave some wiggle room as audio is very subjective and personal. I was hoping you know what “digital” sounding means but I was wrong you have obvious never heard non “digital” sound reproduction in your life - go borrow a Linn turntable or some tape and get some listening experience
Been there, done that, and the Linn turntable failed miserably and nearly put me off vinyl for life it was so bad back then (tape was a 30IPS half inch 'Blue Nile' master without Dolby or similar - didn't really need it in all honesty...). Have you compared a nice analogue master recording with its digital copy and then the CD made from it? I have when I thought I had pretty fair hearing and subjectively, no difference. Lay subjectivists haven't done this, so what they *think* is a nice sound always rules, but that's only their preference, not what's actually going on... And don't you DARE to suggest the LP12 wasn't set up properly (you don't know my 'history' with this brand and turntable since 1976 - and I do admit the current top model is rather better - radikal can't cure the very slight wow though which makes the tunes more 'sexy')..

I wonder how the average dac performed back in 2015 (seven years ago, a long time in dac development at lower prices and things tested on ASR have improved hugely in the three years or so I've 'been' here...

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
High pre and post ringings from predefined reconstruction filter on the IC sound like high frequency hash to me and I hear that as sounding “digital”.
You mean high pre and post ringing like the Dave for example?
617Davefig01.jpg

Here's the okto Dac8 Stereo for comparison:
121Oktofig02.jpg

Much cleaner, isn't it? That's an ES9038Pro chip.

Sources: Dave, okto

the_brunx

Don’t know which Dave is more hilarious,
14000 for this performance in 2022?

D38616ED-CA2C-4EC7-8ADB-C81D96E9FD55.gif

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
By the way here are the measurements from Goldensound with M Scaler too.

I see that, despite the impressively steep filter, the DAVE still fails to reach full attenuation by 22.05 kHz; in fact, it's barely got started. I wonder if Amir could zoom in on his graph and see if this is the case with his example? We need to be flat to 20 kHz, and even that is arguable given most people's hearing, so why the need to be flat to just past 22.00 kHz? How is this not sheer insanity?

Last edited:
Top Bottom