• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Company launches GroundARAY noise-reduction devices for your hi-fi separates.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't read the article.

But the fact that the source is What Hifi? certainly does greatly increase the likelihood of something being snake oil. Sort of like wondering if you can believe what a used car salesman tells you. lol

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Yours for only 550 GBP ($760).

But pay attention.

"Chord states that GroundARAYs are most effective when used across several devices in an A/V system."
So better buy two packs for your several devices, as they are not as effective when used only on one device.

"They simply plug into existing empty sockets and can be used individually, or in multiples, such as across left and right outputs. With DACs and streamers, GroundARAYs can be used with unused digital inputs."
Oh, OK, better buy three packs, cause you need to reduce noise in your unused (!!!!) digital inputs as well.

"Chord adds that projectors and screens can also benefit from GroundARAY's noise-reduction effects, too."
Better buy four packs, then, cause you need a couple more for your projector and TV(s) around your home.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Oh, OK, better buy three packs, cause you need to reduced noise in your unused (!!!!) digital inputs as well.
So, whoa! They work on both analog and digital noise!?!

1626362186651.png

I mean -- how do they know?
Must be some amazingly cutting edge tech in there.

:rolleyes:

facefirst

OK so I guess if - being extremely generous here - if there was an earth differential with AV stuff plugged into different power outlets then connecting the earth pin of the RCA's together would possibly reduce any earthing buzz or hum.

threni

Major Contributor

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That video provides ZERO useful information. I don't understand why any company would spend the money on such useless marketing fluff. What the hell is it?

Edit: Holy crap - What Hi-Fi? states they start at 550GBP each. Can you say money grab?

levimax

Major Contributor
It looks like they are just "shorting plugs" for the unused sockets on your components. Hard to believe they would do anything better than $1.00 shorting plugs.... they do look expensive/ impressive to some I guess.

Chester

It looks like they are just "shorting plugs" for the unused sockets on your components. Hard to believe they would do anything better than $1.00 shorting plugs.... they do look expensive/ impressive to some I guess.

What do shorting plugs do?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had many customers over a 24 year period selling and servicing consumer electronics and there where many people that asked about those open RCA connectors at the rear panels as if that is a possible issue. This new Chord Company product is solving that non-issue. :facepalm:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What do shorting plugs do?
I've seen a few shorting plugs used on RCA terminals. Pretty rare though and I think they where used on the phono input. The shorting plugs short the ground and the signal carrying conductor together.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Dealers have very good margins and many will sell this stuff as they did before with very VERY posh USB cables and so on to those spending tens of thousands for a simple amp system in an expensive posh box. They do or did a USB cable which got great reviews subjectively I remember (the reviewer was pilloried for it in some quarters). Just right for your Naim streamer as shown in the vid.

I'd suggest nothing to see here and to move on...

The only time I messed around with shorting plugs was back in 1988 or so when I bought a Meridian 207 CD player, the second slim box being a preamp with loads of unused input sockets. I made up some shorting plugs with the cheap plastic cased nickel RCA plugs you can get and 'imagined' a slight improvement. I still have one or two of said plugs around and about and they turn up in all sorts of boxes and 'stuff' I have around and about...

Last edited:
Top Bottom