• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chet Baker. - The genius at work and everything Chet Baker.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It's really sad the way a lot of these men tanked in their personal life. So talented and inspired, but complete wrecks in the life department. Guys like Chet Baker, Bill Evans, Charlie Parker and the list seems endless. When I think about it I just shake my head.

And Billie, Miles, Trane....mid 20th century jazz is so full of substance abuse wreckage to be a cliche to the point where academic papers have been written about it.

"According to Miles Davis, “Many of the great bebop players were heroin addicts” (Davis with Troupe, 1989, p. 129). In that set heroin was one of the greatest symbols of hipness (Fitterling, 1997, p. 33). Heroin extended the natural high that playing produced and stretched out the process of winding down after performing. It served to soften the edges of the gritty world in which musicians were forced to earn their living. And, as some said, it made it easier to perform at the accelerated pace bop music demanded by slowing everything down. Drummer Art Blakey said, “it didn't make anyone play better, but it did make you hear better” (Ward & Burns, 2000, p. 358)"

Top Bottom