• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chet Baker. - The genius at work and everything Chet Baker.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good back beat. I could dance to this one.
That whole album is good. the interplay between Baker & Pepper is excellent.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't forget this one also.
220px-Playboys_bakerpepper.jpg

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My recent purchase: I Get Chet--180 g audiophile vinyl, and all that. Thick plastic doesn't drop from a changer spindle. Just hangs. So beware of that, if you expect to stack your records. LOL.

More or less a reissue of the '56 Barclay LP, now on CheeseCake Records. Someone has a sense of humor. Who gets the royalties on this stuff? Probably a more interesting cover than the original.

Chet was best when he wasn't singing.

View attachment 168608

View attachment 168612

I have the Barclay version from Sam Records and it's great.

But I feel I'm missing out on the Cheesecake cover art.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the "name corrected" version of that album.

I'm still looking for a NM- or VG+ copy of the short-lived "Playboys" name version.
Several here

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
A biopic covering his rise to heart throb and fall into deep junkie would be interesting.

My Druggy Valentine:

"According to the author James Gavin in Deep in a Dream: the long night of Chet Baker, the trumpeter was on 6g of heroin a day by the time he died. And that's not counting the cocaine, codeine, barbiturates, alcohol and hash Baker used as a regular top-up; he injected the former every five minutes or so if he was taking it on its own, less often if mixed with heroin in his favourite cocktail, the speedball. As a cautionary tale, Gavin's book is remarkably effective. Who needs to be told "Just say No" when you've just read of the malodorous Chet scratching a needle around in his scrotum?"

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
There are six for sale. You clearly have not used discogs. The sellers are under great scrutiny and also almost all items are returnable.

You don't know what you're talking about.

I've bought 4 albums on Discogs just in the last 2 weeks.

My collection is cataloged there, first entry over 8 years ago:

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't know what you're talking about.

I've bought 4 albums on Discogs just in the last 2 weeks.
I think I do. I also use them quite frequently. I was just trying to help. Have a good day.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After watching years ago this documantairy i got a mix view regarding Chet Baker. The scene at 43,18 interviewing his mother says a lot about here pain. His ultra cool performance against his complex personality difficult depression time 1929 where he grew up in proberbly hé got some of his inspiration from. A realy 2 hours informative documentarie.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You certainly don't know what you're talking about when it comes to making claims about my usage.

Have a good one.
You're right and I apologise about that. When you said internet I assumed all of the internet for record buying. Discogs has been a reliable source for music for me and the few disputed sales have been handled reputably and promptly.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You're right and I apologise about that. When you said internet I assumed all of the internet for record buying. Discogs has been a reliable source for music for me and the few disputed sales have been handled reputably and promptly.

Thanks, no hard feelings.

I'm comfortable buying on Discogs -- if you look at my collection, #1, #3, and #5 most recently added were all vintage records bought from Discogs.

But for the condition I want for that record, at the price points being asked, I would want to see it in person. Not because I'm worried about theft, but because I want to see if it's worth the asking price for the condition.

$500+ albums get into the realm of where I want to hold it in my hands and think about it.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But for late life full heroin Chet, you'd have to crack some teeth.
It's really sad the way a lot of these men tanked in their personal life. So talented and inspired, but complete wrecks in the life department. Guys like Chet Baker, Bill Evans, Charlie Parker and the list seems endless. When I think about it I just shake my head.

Top Bottom