• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can we discuss the BMR Tower?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These speakers just popped up in my to-consider list. Price is compelling for the performance .. Is there a Center channel? with similar performances?
You people at ASR are making decisions very but so very difficult :(.
I may have to renew my Absolute Sound and Stereophile subscriptions :p...

Peace

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like REW with full range auto EQ. The questions become: how many dB he has to lose in the preamp to get that response, how the response is away from the main listening position, and if the flattened response is the right mix of direct and reflected sound (which is hard to measure in REW).
I'm using Dirac full range with the MiniDSP SHD. I haven't measured off LP but I just got these speakers and this was a first attempt in my living room with no room treatments.
I also did a few filters in the SHD in a different preset and I can't hear much difference. I will be doing more measurements in the next few weeks. Might even try with a sub added.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
These speakers just popped up in my to-consider list. Price is compelling for the performance .. Is there a Center channel? with similar performances?
You people at ASR are making decisions very but so very difficult :(.
I may have to renew my Absolute Sound and Stereophile subscriptions :p...

Peace
You can order a single stand mount with its tweeter rotated if you need a low profile center.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a Center channel? with similar performances?

Peace
Nope. Will a (horizontal oriented) centre be made, like these with the BMRs for "timbre matching"? I really doubt it.

Steves comment ^ is a good idea, though you wont get the same ultra wide horizontal dispersion.

McFly

I'm using Dirac full range with the MiniDSP SHD. I haven't measured off LP but I just got these speakers and this was a first attempt in my living room with no room treatments.
I also did a few filters in the SHD in a different preset and I can't hear much difference. I will be doing more measurements in the next few weeks. Might even try with a sub added.
Its looking pretty good. Stay in the MLP, enjoy some tunes for a few months and stay away from these forums ;)

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here the average before any EQ or Dirac.
NoFilters.jpg

Jdunk54nl

Here the average before any EQ or Dirac.
View attachment 188100
I also have a mid 40's dip :( REW room sim predicts it perfectly too. Unfortunately, no matter where I move my subs, add more within the space I can, it doesn't fix it based on REW's sims.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Nope. Will a (horizontal oriented) centre be made, like these with the BMRs for "timbre matching"? I really doubt it.

Steves comment ^ is a good idea, though you wont get the same ultra wide horizontal dispersion.
The dispersion is still very wide--what you will get far off axis is a dip in the mid-tweet crossover region at 3800 Hz. But I'm not sure super wide dispersion is a real benefit for dialog. I have a dedicated WMTW BMR center channel with the same drivers, but Jim Salk would have to build it.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the wood version looks nice. The black finish blends in really well with my other speakers. The piano black BMR Tower is the same exact color/finish as the piano black Revel F328Be. Putting them side by side, they look like the finish was done in the same factory. :D

BMR-Towers-screen-on-off.png

BMRTower-F328Be.png

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered the BMR Towers in August 2021. They arrived six months later in February. I almost never listen to them with grills on. As far as I'm concerned the magnetic grills are there simply to protect the drivers when not in use. The sound of the BMR Towers is amazing especially with classical music. They simply disappear and the music fills the room. They're 6dB less efficient than the F328Be. That difference is quite obvious on the RME ADI-2 DAC FS volume knob when switching between the two speakers. But the Purifi amp doesn't care, it pumps out plenty of power for either configuration. :D

MarkS

Major Contributor
And what is your subjective opinion (I know, I know!) of the BMR Towers compared to the Revel F328Be's>

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And what is your subjective opinion (I know, I know!) of the BMR Towers compared to the Revel F328Be's>

After listening to the Revel F328Be and the BMR Tower side by side in the same room for a few days I can easily see the strengths of each.

BMR Towers - The RAAL tweeter adds a slight bit of sheen to the cymbals and high treble. The F328Be tweeter is more subdued. For most of my Jazz listening I prefer the Be tweeter. However, when I play Orchestral music with the BMR Towers like "Barber, Sibelius & Scriabin Symphony No. 1 In One Movement Op. 9" (Samuel Barber), the BMR Tower boxes absolutely disappear and the music is enchanting. It's as if I'm in a hall instead of in front of two boxes. I don't get that same extent of open, smoothness with Orchestral music with the Revel F328Be.

Revel F328Be - These speakers offer more definition and a bit more bite than the BMR Towers - even at lower listening levels. The punch is hard and alive with the F328Be. This makes the F328Be exceptional with rhythmic music like Jazz, funk, electronic music. The F328Be has definition that my BMR Towers can't duplicate at the same SPL. I can increase the volume and get a bit more punch with the BMR Tower but it really doesn't offer the same exciting texture as the Revel F328Be.

For me these two speakers offer two totally different tastes. If I am looking for a smooth sound that oozes from everywhere the BMR Tower is my 1st choice. On the other hand, if I want an exciting speaker with amazing dynamic definition and tons of punch the F328Be would be my choice. While you might think they're both just speakers how can they sound that different? These two certainly offer completely different audio delivery styles to my ear.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Very interesting, thanks. I'm primarily a classical orchestral listener (or, to be more precise, that's the sort of music where higher-end speakers make a difference that I care about). Are you using subwoofers with either of these?

Top Bottom