• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can we discuss the BMR Tower?

mikeTRON250LM

I ordered the BMR Towers in August 2021. They arrived six months later in February. I almost never listen to them with grills on. As far as I'm concerned the magnetic grills are there simply to protect the drivers when not in use. The sound of the BMR Towers is amazing especially with classical music. They simply disappear and the music fills the room. They're 6dB less efficient than the F328Be. That difference is quite obvious on the RME ADI-2 DAC FS volume knob when switching between the two speakers. But the Purifi amp doesn't care, it pumps out plenty of power for either configuration. :D
What amp are you powering them with?

Keened

Forum Donor
@Dennis Murphy
Would it be possible to purchase from you the parts required to install a tri-ampable mounting plate with a switch to defeat the passive crossover? I read Erin's Audio Corner review and he was mentioning about how he wondered if they would be improved by phase coherence. It seems to be a subject of some debate still so it'd make a nice test platform for A/B/X testing the idea.

Also maybe some kind of resetable inline fuse for each driver?

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Let me reiterate the “wondered” part. Thinking out loud, if you will. And note that nearly all speakers could be lumped under that statement, sans a few.
I never understood that comment. There's no evidence we can here any advantage to transient perfect designs, and there are only a handful of them out there.

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For anyone who is wondering there is no need to defeat the passive crossover but use an FIR filter to remove the passive filters excess group delay and get a perfect anechoic step response. If you do prepare to be underwhelmed :)

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I never understood that comment. There's no evidence we can here any advantage to transient perfect designs, and there are only a handful of them out there.

I didn't even remember making it until it was mentioned above.

At any rate, IME with hundreds of active systems that I have tuned myself, a small bit of time delay between speakers can make a noticeable improvement (when I say small, I mean less than 1ms). But, yea, it was most likely a comment on "this speaker sounds really good; how can it get better" and I said "hey, maybe this would be the next iteration". Who knows... that was nearly two years ago. I don't remember what I ate 3 days ago.

Like I said above, that comment would apply to nearly all passive designs and many active designs, still.

Keened

Forum Donor
Let me reiterate the “wondered” part. Thinking out loud, if you will. And note that nearly all speakers could be lumped under that statement, sans a few.
That's fair, not trying to put words in your mouth. The debate was renewed in the Neuman 420 thread and listed as a potential benefit and since I'm getting a pair of the monitors and a 3 channel amplifier it felt like a good way to dip my toes into active speakers and test the hypothesis (since it's already known good cabinet design, speaker choice, etc it's changing fewer variables). I noticed Perlstein made a big deal of it in their S series with the step back.

Which is why I was wondering if a modification would be in order because I'm not going to buy a whole new set of (very expensive) speakers to test what might be a null result in the end :)

The other benefit of having direct active control of the individual speakers is to also control the impulse response I think, but I don't know enough about that to say it can be done with just active control of the + signal and not the - to control the coil excursion in both directions.

For anyone who is wondering there is no need to defeat the passive crossover but use an FIR filter to remove the passive filters excess group delay and get a perfect anechoic step response. If you do prepare to be underwhelmed :)

I thought the cross over region in a passive design would make it difficult to time delay for individual speakers since the signal is not cleanly broken unlike an active cross over?

Jdunk54nl

I thought the cross over region in a passive design would make it difficult to time delay for individual speakers since the signal is not cleanly broken unlike an active cross over?
You just need to adjust the phase of drivers without impacting the magnitude of the frequency response, hence the FIR filter.

alexis

Audio Company
Figured we might not have shown the full curved sides of BMR Towers before. Rosewood Piano Finish. The aluminum Outriggers are the official accessory available for current and future BMR Tower owners.
IMG_4044.JPG

IMG_4063.JPG
IMG_4067.JPG

ribosradagast

Figured we might not have shown the full curved sides of BMR Towers before. Rosewood Piano Finish. The aluminum Outriggers are the official accessory available for current and future BMR Tower owners.
Lusty! Did y'all ever figure out the grille situation?

alexis

Audio Company
Alexis, I already have a pair of BMR Monitors. What do you charge for the aluminum outrigger stands?
I assume you meant you already have a pair of BMR Towers? Could you see if your spike system is M6 or M8? For existing BMR Tower or BMR HT owners I charge $120 for two "sets" of Outriggers (This will cover one pair of speakers). This would include four 100% aluminum 8mm outriggers, eight height adjustable spikes, plates, and screws. The Gaia II in the pictures are not included. See below.

IMG_3711.JPG

amper42

Major Contributor
I assume you meant you already have a pair of BMR Towers? Could you see if your spike system is M6 or M8? For existing BMR Tower or BMR HT owners I charge $120 for two "sets" of Outriggers (This will cover one pair of speakers). This would include four 100% aluminum 8mm outriggers, eight height adjustable spikes, plates, and screws. The Gaia II in the pictures are not included. See below.
Alexis,
I ordered the BMR Towers Jan 10, 2022. I don't see any marking on the spikes. If you measure the width of the screw it's about .24 inches. Would that be the M6 spike system? Is this compatible with the aluminum 8mm outriggers? Thank you!

Last edited:

cavedriver

View attachment 285178
which finish is that above? it's nice

alexis

Audio Company
which finish is that above? it's nice
"Zebra" HT Tower. Here is a full picture:

IMG_3908.JPG

Alexis,
I ordered the BMR Towers Jan 10, 2022. I don't see any marking on the spikes. If you measure the width of the screw it's about .24 inches. Would that be the M6 spike system? Is this compatible with the aluminum 8mm outriggers? Thank you!
At some point, the BMR Tower spike changed from M6 to M8. Both would work with Outriggers. I provide M8 screws with outriggers. For M6 BMR Tower owners, we just need to find M6 machine screws.

alexis

Audio Company
At 78 lbs each, do you have optional wheels that can be mounted on the riggers? :)

Really enjoying my HT Towers and am contemplating the BMR Towers.
Technically, it's doable. The Outrigger is M8. You can find wheels that is M8 size to mount them. I have two customers mount wheels on the BMR Towers. The dimensional shipping weight for BMR Towers is 135 lbs each because of its packaging dimension.

Top Bottom