• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Newman

Major Contributor
Just trying to figure out where the goal posts are moving to. For some reason I'm always caught off guard, particular on this forum, with how often and how much the term "dead silent" is flat-out abused. I've no challenge if you're talking about what's practical to you in your given situation. I'll just note that's not what you'd said.
I, too, note that it’s not what he said the first time.
I, too, note that people making wrong statements here instinctively try to move the goalposts when challenged. Anything to avoid saying “my mistake”.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I, too, note that it’s not what he said the first time.
I, too, note that people making wrong statements here instinctively try to move the goalposts when challenged. Anything to avoid saying “my mistake”.
Please quote what I said before and what I said after. If they are indeed different then I take responsibility for that. If you're reading inconsistencies where no inconsistencies exist then that's on you.

JP

Major Contributor
I thought I was being extremely clear. What I hear is what I hear. I'm not in the habit of posting bullshit for the sake of bullshit.
Didn't imply that you did. Lots of people report similar anecdotal experiences. My ambient is lower than most and the gear I use if very quiet. Perhaps I've unusual sensitivities, or I listen louder. I don't know, but dead silent is not a term I consider with vinyl. I do have lacquers where from a practical standpoint it doesn't matter.

Newman

Major Contributor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I, too, note that people making wrong statements here instinctively try to move the goalposts when challenged.
Not to move your goal posts but that sounds like insinuations against the innocent members... if you are not going to name names and give references!
I hope it is not my mistake to make this assumption.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Didn't imply that you did. Lots of people report similar anecdotal experiences. My ambient is lower than most and the gear I use if very quiet. Perhaps I've unusual sensitivities, or I listen louder. I don't know, but dead silent is not a term I consider with vinyl. I do have lacquers where from a practical standpoint it doesn't matter.
Dead silent in my context is the noise floor is the same at normal listening levels with a digital source versus a vinyl source. Of course if the playback levels are increased enough the vinyl is clearly at a disadvantage. But the same is true of my professional reel to reel tape machines at 15 in per second.

My room is extremely quiet since it was originally built to be a recording studio.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Newman

Major Contributor
I really must insist that some of the early classical CD reissues sound awful and am not alone in this observation.
Don’t you realize that I already agreed with the above, even in my very post that you were quoting, in which I said, “classical CDs can be poorly mastered…Almost all poor sounding classical CDs are an accurate reproduction of poor recording and mixing.”

So, what are you insisting on that I have not already said that same myself?

And, like MMV above, you have moved the goalposts rather than concede a point. The thing you said that I disputed, was, “that the MLP reissues are a good example of the majority occurrence of unpleasant sound in CD reissues of classical analog recordings from the 1950’s to 1970’s.” Majority has now become some, which is actually what I said.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Probably should also stress genre. In classical at normal listening levels, 70 dB noise floor should be noticeable in quiet passages, I think.
I listen to mostly classical and jazz and my normal listening level is a bit more than 70 DB SPL. With classical I usually hear the room noise of the recording venue and the musicians rustling about more than surface noise from the vinyl.

Newman

Major Contributor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Link? Catalog? Contact details?
I purposefully don't mention who I work for because I'm not representing them here and I don't want to. I also don't want to be responsible for answering consumer questions. I'm just here as a civilian.

Newman

Major Contributor
“Employee” is not “Manufacturer”

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
“Employee” is not “Manufacturer”
"Employee" is not one of the options available for a badge. If you don't like that I'm sure you could take it up with armimn.

Newman

Major Contributor
Easier for me to just make sure everyone knows that you misrepresent yourself. Since you seem to insist on continuing to do it, even when it has been pointed out. If none of the badges are right, don’t adopt one.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Easier for me to just make sure everyone knows that you misrepresent yourself. Since you seem to insist on continuing to do it, even when it has been pointed out. If none of the badges are right, don’t adopt one.
I didn't ask for the manufacturers badge. When I originally joined the forum I did state the company I worked for and they are obviously a manufacturer so that's how I was labeled.

At any rate I can't believe you are actually parsing the badge below my avatar. Are you really that anal in your day-to-day life?

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In the last two pages we have one guy openly talking about having sex to '70s rock albums and then an ever-slightly more veiled reference to cartridge sounds drowned out by 'Johnson noise' and you guys wonder why records are popular. Like anyone's ever going to get turned on while you fingerscroll through your NAS libraries

download (1).gif

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
In the last two pages we have one guy openly talking about having sex to '70s rock albums and then an ever-slightly more veiled reference to cartridge sounds drowned out by 'Johnson noise' and you guys wonder why records are popular. Like anyone's ever going to get turned on while you fingerscroll through your NAS libraries

View attachment 208874
Yep, things can get downright silly at times on the interwebs. :facepalm:

Newman

Major Contributor

View attachment 208874

She’s only fooling one person that the record is interesting.

JP

Major Contributor

Ready, fire, aim? As MMV said badges aren't chosen by the person. Most people know who he works for and it's clear he's here as a civilian.

Top Bottom