• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New member - 2 channel room correction advice

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Note that without a surround decoder and a separate subwoofer you don't get the "point one" LFE channel.
I've always thought of the .1 just designating a sub, rather than specifically an LFE channel.

EG stereo amp with crossover to sub = 2.1. Nothing to do with LFE.

Come again. While I'm not doubting, the implication is that everything below 120 or 80? hz is omitted when using a 2 channel receiver on a multichannel recording without LFE processing?
They are two separate things. A crossover will split the frequency bands between Mains and Subs with or without LFE processing.

If you specifically want the LFE effects encoded on a blue ray, you won't get them without a full decoder - you'll just get the bass in the left and right channels sent to the sub.

ViperDom

Someone has suggested twice your budget...
I'll counter with Half :)

AppleTV ----> MiniDSP DDRC-24 ----> FOSI Audio V3 Mono (x2) ----> KLH

Advantages:
DIRAC !!!!!
Compact size. The MiniD & Two FOSI's are each very small compared to an AVS allowing them to be lined up on one shallow shelf for a clean look.

$800 Total Cost (Including UMIK-1 calibration mic.)

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buy the Onkyo or Denon. Those extra channels are offset by the huge economies of scale so you don’t pay a lot extra compared to a dedicated two channel setup like the old Arcam SR250 or SA30. The newer SA30 dropped the Dolby decoding.

Then, because you aren’t using all the channels, you actually have more of the power supply for the 2 channels. So, it’s actually a GREAT idea to get an AVR for a two channel system.

Dirac has more power for adjusting your response curve, since it’s included with the Onkyo.

The Denon’s have the ability to mix the LFE into the main channels if I recall. I don’t know if the Onkyo does that. You would probably just use the iOS app or Audyssey One to get your full range response.

In both cases, HDMI CEC will let you use something like the AppleTV remote to control volume.

Verig

Advantages:
DIRAC !!!!!
Compact size. The MiniD & Two FOSI's are each very small compared to an AVS allowing them to be lined up on One shallow shelf for a clean look.

Bit of a learning curve setting that up but very good. Not sure if you're talking about my suggestion but used NAD M10 is a one box solution for 1000€ and comes with hdmi which was needed. Also, a streamer and multiroom so it's actually cheaper. If one is not averse of used market that is. :)

OP
J

JohnW

The cheaper Denon receivers have the more basic MultEq XT which seems to do a good job in the bass in my room with my X1700H Denon, and the $/£20 app still allows you to adjust the curve and set a frequency cutoff point for correction. It's not massively powerful but it's adequate for my smallish room (5m x 4m) with not very efficient speakers. If your current Denon 1300 is powerful enough for you then it should be OK.

Biggest limitation is inputs: only 2 optical and 2 analogue (+ phono stage) and no coaxial digital.

Still far more channels than you require, but you could think of that as a bit of current in reserve when driving only 2 speakers.

In the UK I got my unit with a free 5 year warranty, don't know if US retailers offer that.

BTW, if configured without a subwoofer, any .1 LFE input channel (for instance from a blue ray) will be fed to the front L/R speakers.
Thanks for the reply. My current Denon is having issues. Remote doesn’t work, internet radio doesn’t work, no eARC which I want…it will definitely be replaced. This is the second Denon that has had problems for me, the prior one quit working completely. I may have unrealistic expectations for how long these things should last but I’m leaning toward the NAD C 379 in hopes that it’s more reliable long term.

OP
J

JohnW

Advantages:
DIRAC !!!!!
Compact size. The MiniD & Two FOSI's are each very small compared to an AVS allowing them to be lined up on one shallow shelf for a clean look.

Thanks for the advice. My current Apple TV is HDMI out only, I could HDMI to my TV and then optical out to the MiniDSP but optical won’t control volume. I would need a two channel receiver or integrated amp which is cheap enough I guess, but then I’m dealing with multiple remotes, correct?

I get interested in MiniDSP products but for my application the connections seem more complicated, unless I’m misunderstanding something.

ViperDom

AppleTV Adapter:

What is the criteria for a receiver to be able to have its volume controlled via AppleTV?

I like having two remotes. It lets me leave the show selection, pausing, skipping, ect... to wife so i can solely control the audio.
Team work :)

Verig

T
AppleTV Adapter:

What is the criteria for a receiver to be able to have its volume controlled via AppleTV?

I like having two remotes. It lets me leave the show selection, pausing, skipping, ect... to wife so i can solely control the audio.
Team work :)
That would handicap AppleTV very seriously.

ddaudio

Thanks for the reply. My current Denon is having issues. Remote doesn’t work, internet radio doesn’t work, no eARC which I want…it will definitely be replaced. This is the second Denon that has had problems for me, the prior one quit working completely. I may have unrealistic expectations for how long these things should last but I’m leaning toward the NAD C 379 in hopes that it’s more reliable long term.
Sorry, I wasn't clear: I wasn't saying keep your existing Denon, just that if that provides the output power you need, the newer 1000 series Denons like my X1700H would too.

That NAD looks like a nice unit, but at least here in the UK more expensive (£1300 with the Dirac/network card) than even a mid-range Denon. I see the NAD has a sub out - I've got speakers rated down to 40hz, but my bass is much better when crossed over at 80hz to a small sub, equalised by Audyssey, behind my TV (better control of room modes, I suppose), so something to consider for the future.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Top Bottom