• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!
OP
H

horias2000

Forum Donor
Oh, if there's a pot involved, the imbalance you're getting is better than usual. Stepped attenuators might be a touch better (at a huge cost and size premium), but only a touch. You have a good result there.
Yes, there's a pot involved :)
I've added a pre-amp before the power amp stages so that I can exploit the entire power for different input sources. It's a simple schematic shown below.

1694888103650.png

It goes from about -75dB to 10dB. I did have some issues with the pot as I used some recycled pots from previous projects and some were defective (probabbly too much abuse when desoldering them from other boards). I will replace the pot at some point just to see if there is a difference. Bunt not anytime soon as I do not have the time right now. It sounds like a great activity around Christmas :D

OP
H

horias2000

Forum Donor
So, what do you think about it now? I built a kit WAD KT88 amp in 2001. Many prefer 6550 tubes, you may well prefer the mids.
For now I'm still using the JJ tubes I used during the development of the amp. These measure pretty good and sound very nice. I did look for other options form different manufacturers but at the moment I didn't buy any. I was looking at Genalex Gold Lions, Psvane and TAD. I know there are a lot of discussions around brands of tubes but I did not notice any difference. I built another amp like the one presented here, for a friend of mine and I used PSVANE KT-88s and 12AX7s and EH 12AU7s. The amp did measure a bit better in thd and thd+n (2-3dB better) but I could not hear the difference. I did notice though that the JJ tubes use higher quality materials. The glass is thicker and the pins seen stronger. But as a more general question, what brands of tubes do you guys recommend?

Top Bottom