• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Building off comments/measurements from the recent 502 review and tear down by @amirm, once my inventory of current cases runs out, all future cases will have the inside left bare and not powder coated. I was able to work out a discount with my case manufacturer so the extra step to ensure this during processing won't translate to a price increase.

This isn't a ground breaking or performance change, more so just to ensure grounding is always even and possibly better thermal transfer in the module base plates.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Building off comments/measurements from the recent 502 review and tear down by @amirm, once my inventory of current cases runs out, all future cases will have the inside left bare and not powder coated. I was able to work out a discount with my case manufacturer so the extra step to ensure this during processing won't translate to a price increase.

This isn't a ground breaking or performance change, more so just to ensure grounding is always even and possibly better thermal transfer in the module base plates.
Sounds great, but I wonder how long it will be before someone complains that you have gotten cheap and stopped powder coating the insides of the cases to save a few pennies! :facepalm:

Richard G

Hi
What minimum input voltage is necessary to ensure that the full output wattage is achieved?
I ask because I have a few different preamplifiers which vary quite a bit in their output.
I am probably more interested in the NC252MP, although would like to know for both

I possibly could look up the specs on Hypex’s website, but it may be different in these implementations (?)
Thank you

Walter

Hi
What minimum input voltage is necessary to ensure that the full output wattage is achieved?
I ask because I have a few different preamplifiers which vary quite a bit in their output.
I am probably more interested in the NC252MP, although would like to know for both

I possibly could look up the specs on Hypex’s website, but it may be different in these implementations (?)
Thank you
It should not vary, unless an amp is using some type of custom input filters or something. Per the Hypex datasheets, the 252 needs about 2.8v for peak output at 8 ohms and 2.34v at 4ohms. The 502 needs 4.6 and 3.3, respectively. RMS values are about 2/3 of peak.

BoredErica

Okay this is going to sound like a dumb question. But how am I supposed to adjust the volume on this speaker amp? All amps I've used before have a prominent volume control knob and I don't seem to see one from Amir's review.

sully45

Okay this is going to sound like a dumb question. But how am I supposed to adjust the volume on this speaker amp? All amps I've used before have a prominent volume control knob and I don't seem to see one from Amir's review.
Not dumb at all. This is something known as a 'power amp' which boosts the signal a fixed amount (and delivers as much power as required). It requires a preamp to feed the leveled signal which determines volume or loudness.

Some of the topping DACs include a digital preamp which would adjust the level into the Buckeye amp. The E50 would be an example that happens to feature balanced outputs.

In something like a receiver, all these components are integrated into a single unit. But they are actually DAC (digital to analog signal) -> Preamp (amplifies small signal to appropriate level) -> Power Amp (delivers finished signal with sufficient power to drive speakers)

Last edited:

snaimpally

You might have experience with just an integrated amp which integrates a preamp and a power amp. The Buckeye amps are power amps - they take a signal and amplify it. A preamp allows input selection, volume etc. So you will need to buy a preamp, such as the Schiit Freya or Topping Pre90, to work with a Buckeye amp. Your signal path will be:
<audio source> -> preamp -> Buckeye amp

You may have more than one audio source, e.g., CD player, streamer, etc.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps I have seen some customers turning away from your amps because they don't like the regular case. But I think they might consider it with the Ghent case, which you mention in the text in the 1st post, but people probably don't read.

If I may suggest, you could add pictures of the Ghent cases in the 1st post for customer awareness?

IMO the silver front is beautiful! :)

ncore-se-1.jpg

ncore-color.jpg

ncore-se-5.jpg

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks just like my VTV case.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

tlin

My turn for a "dumb question".....I'm considering a 4-channel Buckeye to power my R-L-C speakers.
Will the larger Hypex amps blow/ruin my speakers based on the power ratings below?

NC502MP
- 2x450w @ 2ohm
- 2x500w @ 4ohm
- 2x350w @ 8ohm

NC252MP
- 2x180w @ 2ohm
- 2x250w @ 4ohm
- 2x150w @ 8ohm

Thanks!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
My turn for a "dumb question".....I'm considering a 4-channel Buckeye to power my R-L-C speakers.
Will the larger Hypex amps blow/ruin my speakers based on the power ratings below?

NC502MP
- 2x450w @ 2ohm
- 2x500w @ 4ohm
- 2x350w @ 8ohm

NC252MP
- 2x180w @ 2ohm
- 2x250w @ 4ohm
- 2x150w @ 8ohm

Thanks!
Nope! You'd be fine. An amp will only put out the amount of power the speaker "draws". It won't be constantly putting out 350w. You could hook up a speaker only rated for 100w and it would still be fine under normal usage*

*Abnormal usage would be turning the volume up to an audible level that would be wayyy to loud for nearly anyone to stand/be comfortable.

Walter

NC502MP
- 2x450w @ 2ohm
- 2x500w @ 4ohm
- 2x350w @ 8ohm

NC252MP
- 2x180w @ 2ohm
- 2x250w @ 4ohm
- 2x150w @ 8ohm

Thanks!
They will be fine, and besides, you are in control of the volume. Unless you are using your speakers outdoors or in concert hall size space, your ears could never withstand the volume produced by 200 continuous watts!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
They will be fine, and besides, you are in control of the volume. Unless you are using your speakers outdoors or in concert hall size space, your ears could never withstand the volume produced by 200 continuous watts!
Especially with speakers rated at 100+ sensitivity

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

NC502MP
- 2x450w @ 2ohm
- 2x500w @ 4ohm
- 2x350w @ 8ohm

NC252MP
- 2x180w @ 2ohm
- 2x250w @ 4ohm
- 2x150w @ 8ohm

Thanks!
It is better to have a more powerful amp than a underpowered amp because the lower powered amps "clip" and that damages speakers. Having a powerful amp means you will probably never even get close to "clipping."

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Rule: If it sounds distorted or you hear mechanical noises not in the music, turn it down!

Rick "who has played Advents--rated for 100 watts or less--using amps ranging from 40 wpc to 200 wpc with no damage" Denney

Top Bottom