• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

2ndHarm

UPDATED 9/27/2021
Current build lead time: first week of January 2022 (taking second half of December off for travel and family)
*Down payments are allowed due to the long wait times*
Your builds look great! As a person who's done many repairs on audio equipment I love how you've mounted the connectors on the back plate and not soldered to the main board (where heavy cables, accidents and wear necessitate a repair). Easy if mounted like yours and sometimes a disaster when mounted on the main board.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I ordered basically the same thing but with Mogami wire.

I'm not getting any sound out of the amp. I thought the cables were the issue so I ordered another XLR to RCA from Benchmark to be sure, but if yours work, I suspect mine may have gotten damaged in shipping.

If you leave the amp unplugged from the wall/mains power for 30mins, you can safely open it up and look to see if a connector came loose when the seller shipped it.

gazolas

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker first time poster here.
I have had the pleasure to deal with Dylan and ordered 2 of his amps. One 4 channel with 1x 252 and 1x 502 modules in it and a 6 channel with 3x 252 modules.

I am very pleased with these amps and their price, but most of all I am very happy I had the pleasure to dealing with Dylan.
He has been excellent in our communication to date, answered all my questions promptly and has gone out of his way to make sure I receive the amps without any problems. Definitely recommended!

If I may chime in the cable talk, because I wanted to reduce the clutter in the back of my audio rack, I decided to build myself custom length cables. I got Klotz MY-206 cable in black and blue (to separate the floor level channels from the height and ceiling), and Neutrik XLR connectors (NC3MXX-B and NC3FXX-B). The Neutrik connectors are very nice, and quite easy to assemble and solder. The klotz wire is also quite nice, and cheaper than the mogami alternative.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker first time poster here.
I have had the pleasure to deal with Dylan and ordered 2 of his amps. One 4 channel with 1x 252 and 1x 502 modules in it and a 6 channel with 3x 252 modules.

I am very pleased with these amps and their price, but most of all I am very happy I had the pleasure to dealing with Dylan.
He has been excellent in our communication to date, answered all my questions promptly and has gone out of his way to make sure I receive the amps without any problems. Definitely recommended!

If I may chime in the cable talk, because I wanted to reduce the clutter in the back of my audio rack, I decided to build myself custom length cables. I got Klotz MY-206 cable in black and blue (to separate the floor level channels from the height and ceiling), and Neutrik XLR connectors (NC3MXX-B and NC3FXX-B). The Neutrik connectors are very nice, and quite easy to assemble and solder. The klotz wire is also quite nice, and cheaper than the mogami alternative.
So glad you've had a great experience with Dylan-I also vouch for his professionalism. I have to ask though-how did you buy amps from him if you live in Greece?

gazolas

Well, it is a long story...really!
When I contacted him about sending to Greece he agreed, so I went on to order. I asked for USPS shipping, because it is the only way that when the items arrive in Greece they are handled by the Hellenic post, and they only get charged with normal import taxes and VAT. If one uses private shipping companies (UPS, Fedex etc) they are handled by private companies here and they charge an arm and a leg on top of the normal charges.
Anyhow, the long in the story comes from the fact that having payed with paypal, the shipping label that was created, had part of my address written in Greek, which resulted in USPS returning the packages to Dylan (not his fault in my opinion). The thing is that USPS didn't offer any info as to what was going on with the packages. He only found out after they had returned!
After he correctly printed the labels though they shipped correctly. All in all they were in transit since 1st of June, and I received them early October... They did arrive in good shape though, except the connectors for the xlr input had become loose...but that was really a non-issue.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, it is a long story...really!
When I contacted him about sending to Greece he agreed, so I went on to order. I asked for USPS shipping, because it is the only way that when the items arrive in Greece they are handled by the Hellenic post, and they only get charged with normal import taxes and VAT. If one uses private shipping companies (UPS, Fedex etc) they are handled by private companies here and they charge an arm and a leg on top of the normal charges.
Anyhow, the long in the story comes from the fact that having payed with paypal, the shipping label that was created, had part of my address written in Greek, which resulted in USPS returning the packages to Dylan (not his fault in my opinion). The thing is that USPS didn't offer any info as to what was going on with the packages. He only found out after they had returned!
After he correctly printed the labels though they shipped correctly. All in all they were in transit since 1st of June, and I received them early October... They did arrive in good shape though, except the connectors for the xlr input had become loose...but that was really a non-issue.
Can I ask you an unrelated question about Greece? How much kasseri do you eat every week? I got some last week and I can't believe how good it is.

gazolas

Seriously!? Ok, good question...
Can I ask you an unrelated question about Greece? How much kasseri do you eat every week? I got some last week and I can't believe how good it is.
LOL, truth is not too much. We have other much nicer cheese. For example graviera is much much better than kasseri (more flavor, kasseri is more flat in flavor) and comes in many different types depending from which province it comes from. Best ones are made with goat milk, some are mix of goat and sheep milk as well.
And you need to note that in Northern Greece, they call kasseri every yellow cheese, and feta every white cheese... but kasseri is actually a type of yellow cheese. BTW I do eat a lot of cheese. Hope I helped!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The part that bothered me with the USPS issue I experienced for @gazolas was when I originally took the amps to the post office, I specifically asked the worker "Do these labels look good/is everything signed and printed correctly for international shipping" and was told "Yup, all good".

Fast forward nearly 2 months and the packages are back to me (yes, they sat at the USPS International Hub in Chicago for nearly 2 months before being returned to me), saying the address has to be in English.

FWIW, international shipping with USPS is not normally this long or inconvenient. Typical time to Europe is about 3-4 weeks max depending on the country. I believe when I shipped these amps it was during a very short staffed period for USPS, hence them basically sitting in a warehouse waiting to be returned to me.

mwjoe

I want to share with the forum my positive experience ordering an amp from Dylan. Communication was great. While there were some shipping woes outside of Dylan's control, the amp arrived in perfect condition. I plugged it in last night and it met all my expectations. It is clean, powerful, no amp related pops or hums, and without active cooling it only gets warm to the touch . The only thing unexpected is the power relay is a bit louder than expected. It will soon be installed inside a case with my other gear and any relay noise will be muted. Tonight I will be measuring power consumption, which I anticipate to be relatively low due to the low heat generation. Assuming my measurements verify my circuits can handle a second amp (along with my other gear plugged into the same circuit), I will be ordering a second one very soon.

Golfx

Forum Donor
I want to share with the forum my positive experience ordering an amp from Dylan. Communication was great. While there were some shipping woes outside of Dylan's control, the amp arrived in perfect condition. I plugged it in last night and it met all my expectations. It is clean, powerful, no amp related pops or hums, and without active cooling it only gets warm to the touch . The only thing unexpected is the power relay is a bit louder than expected. It will soon be installed inside a case with my other gear and any relay noise will be muted. Tonight I will be measuring power consumption, which I anticipate to be relatively low due to the low heat generation. Assuming my measurements verify my circuits can handle a second amp (along with my other gear plugged into the same circuit), I will be ordering a second one very soon.
Nice problem to have btw.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had an envelope mailed to me from Texas using International Express Mail in November 2019. The address was in both English and Khmer. It went from Dallas to Chicago to New York, back to Chicago, back to New York, then to Philadelphia and eventually arrived here two months after being mailed. It took less than a week after leaving the USA.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seriously!? Ok, good question...

LOL, truth is not too much. We have other much nicer cheese. For example graviera is much much better than kasseri (more flavor, kasseri is more flat in flavor) and comes in many different types depending from which province it comes from. Best ones are made with goat milk, some are mix of goat and sheep milk as well.
And you need to note that in Northern Greece, they call kasseri every yellow cheese, and feta every white cheese... but kasseri is actually a type of yellow cheese. BTW I do eat a lot of cheese. Hope I helped!
The cheese I got was mostly sheep milk and the texture of packaged mozzarella. It wasn't too strong in flavor but it melted well. It was really excellent. I like cheeses which are a bit plain because I can eat more of them, I'm trying to gain weight right now.

I have an Armenian store near me with a variety of cheeses for sale (besides 4 or 5 kinds of feta) and I'll keep my eyes open for graviera.

They have Bulgarian kashkaval but I understand this is a very generic term for many different cheeses like you say.

gazolas

The cheese I got was mostly sheep milk and the texture of packaged mozzarella. It wasn't too strong in flavor but it melted well. It was really excellent. I like cheeses which are a bit plain because I can eat more of them, I'm trying to gain weight right now.

I have an Armenian store near me with a variety of cheeses for sale (besides 4 or 5 kinds of feta) and I'll keep my eyes open for graviera.

They have Bulgarian kashkaval but I understand this is a very generic term for many different cheeses like you say.
Yes, kasseri is very commonly usually used in saganaki (fried cheese on the pan).
Kashkaval must be pretty similar to kasseri, and from what I read in Wiki, they both must come from the Italian Caciocavallo.
Check these links, they will give you some info on other cheeses you can try:
I am sure Armenian cheeses should be nice too!

Back on topic, I didn't comment on the sound of the amps, because it's how it's supposed to be. Even the 252 seem to be handling my main speakers quite well! (they do dip to 2.9 ohm @ 120hz) and even though they will play along with less watts, they do like some authority.
I have the amps configured to turn on/off with the 12v trigger from the preamp.
BTW they make no audible thump when turning on or off.
All in all, really happy....I recon I will stop looking at upgrading amps for at least a decade.... :cool:
Now I must convince myself to drill holes for the height and VOG speakers...!

AudioKC

Hi There,

Just wanted to share my subjective opinion about that amp. Got it a week ago.

It is a great amp, I had previously a different ~120W into 8ohms Class-D AMP with SINAD below -90db (with volume control, unbalanced).

This Buckeye amp is a clear winner if compare with my old Class-D. The stereo picture and linearity of frequency response are awesome (probably due to balanced design, and lack of volume control), the base is crisp and controlled, no Class-D problem with high frequency under load (per my ear, did not measure it). Clean sound, great sound stage/stereo effect (in my room).

I paired my 2 channel 252MP with Topping E50, Sony SS-CS5 (with Eq, with sub it is great speakers, according to the rating), and SVS Pro Sub. Topping E50 is such a great DAC for that AMP so, if you can afford it, highly recommend it.

It is end-game AMP for me.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Here is the latest technical review by Amir of the Buckeye Amp Nc502mp amp build (3 module, 6 channel configuration):

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Here is the latest Buckeye Nc502mp 3-module, 6-channel build Tear down and visual under the hood inspection:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps sorry if this has been asked before, but do you have any interest in producing a 12V line (if that's possible with NCore)?
He only works with NCore MP modules so far, and these have Mains Powered input.

For 12V (car audio?) I suggest looking at the Alpine PDX-V9.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
He only works with NCore MP modules so far, and these have Mains Powered input.

For 12V (car audio?) I suggest looking at the Alpine PDX-V9.
Or reach out to Biketronics, they use hypex amps. I know their current line up uses Hypex UcD amps, but they might be able to work with the ncores (not mp series) for the right price.

Top Bottom