• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Completely different product lines.

The NCx500 is a replacement to the NC500 (not to be confused with the NC500MP or NC502MP). The NCx500 is more like the Purifi in that it is one module per channel, needs it's own SMPS, and needs some sort of board/interface.

laidick

Forum Donor
I am very interested in the new MCU controlled soft start, and how the LED indicator works.
it would be good to have a video demo.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't forget to make an arrow on the cable sheath indicating proper flow of electrons
Yeah, I forgot that you have to give the electrons a direction or they will be confused.

Also, if things don't get things just right, you may have to replace the smoke in the wiring.

I do not know about now, but in the past
British Electrical guru company LUCAS had a kit to do that (it was for their automotive wiring but it works with all wiring in which the smoke has been inadvertently let out)
Also, a caution about low quality brands of smoke:
the reproduction smoke is often "lumpy", which will cause excessive resistance.
This can be rectified by filtering the smoke to ensure that all the smoke is of a consistent size before refilling the wires.

smokekit.jpg
Smokekit2.jpg

These kits have long been the secret weapon of the "Ultimate Authorities" in the wiring trade.
Warning: this is not applicable to wiring not using "bullet" connectors!!!

(more info can be found at this link: https://www.whereisbobl.com/tiger/smoke.html [from: The British Columbia Triumph Registry])

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Yeah, I forgot that you have to give the electrons a direction or they will be confused.
It's been postulated that a good downward slope from Amp to Speaker really helps the electrons flow in! So remember, all, elevate those Amps and Cables ABOVE your Binding Posts so you have a good 1' slope running down and in to your Speaks!!! :D

Reactions: EJ3

JRS

Major Contributor
It's been postulated that a good downward slope from Amp to Speaker really helps the electrons flow in! So remember, all, elevate those Amps and Cables ABOVE your Binding Posts so you have a good 1' slope running down and in to your Speaks!!! :D
And here I thought if the cable were too close to the ground, a shunt would occur allowing the lazy electrons from having to cross over to the drive units, where they would encounter resistance and be forced to provide work.

Reactions: EJ3

laidick

Forum Donor
do you guys hear any pop sound while turning on/off the amp? (either by power button, or 12v, or auto sense)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
do you guys hear any pop sound while turning on/off the amp? (either by power button, or 12v, or auto sense)
No, but that can also be heavily influenced by the driving source and the order in which you power things off. Some sources "glitch" the output when turned on or off and that will cause a "pop" in the speakers if the power amp is powered up before the preamp or stays on after.

laidick

Forum Donor
No, but that can also be heavily influenced by the driving source and the order in which you power things off. Some sources "glitch" the output when turned on or off and that will cause a "pop" in the speakers if the power amp is powered up before the preamp or stays on after.

true. what if we mute the amp before power off? that should reduce the pop issue completely?

Livewire

When my NC252MP amp turns off after ten mins of inactivity (auto-sense) there is always a mild pop.

laidick

Forum Donor
you guys prefer to use auto sense or 12v trigger?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you guys prefer to use auto sense or 12v trigger?
To me it doesn't matter if it has either or none.
My system is powered from a pair of UPS's on separate 20 amp circuits (BASS amp & some stuff on one [2 subs], pair of main amps & some other stuff on the other)
I turn on both UPS's, everything comes on.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
true. what if we mute the amp before power off? that should reduce the pop issue completely?
Probably, depends upon the mute circuit, but I did not think these amps had a mute switch?

I get some relatively loud pops from my subs and speakers at processor turn-off; I wish there was a way to program the 12 V trigger so it went off first. I've thought of rigging something to make it easy to power off the power amps first but haven't done anything so far.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably, depends upon the mute circuit, but I did not think these amps had a mute switch?

The MP series modules have mute circuits. However, unless they have a custom power board, most vendor triggers are switching the module from standby to full power.

I get some relatively loud pops from my subs and speakers at processor turn-off; I wish there was a way to program the 12 V trigger so it went off first. I've thought of rigging something to make it easy to power off the power amps first but haven't done anything so far.

Pretty sure I can get my UPS to do something like this. Know I could set the backup power to stay on for a set time and connect the amp to get straight power. Ofc, if the amp does not handle a sudden power loss well, will not help.

Livewire

I really wish my MP amp would mute before going into standby mode. The pop is rather disconcerting.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The MP series modules have mute circuits. However, unless they have a custom power board, most vendor triggers are switching the module from standby to full power.
Thanks. I honestly do not remember if my Buckeye NC252MP amp has muting or not; I am using the trigger so haven't looked. I need a way to kill the trigger first, let the amps bleed down (if not muted), then turn off the processor (SDP-75). I pinged my dealer, Harman, and Trinnov about that years ago but never heard anything (lone voice in the wilderness?) I should do it again (squeaky wheel). In the primordial past I had a little relay circuit that would delay amp turn-on and then instantly turn it off as the preamp was power cycled.

Pretty sure I can get my UPS to do something like this. Know I could set the backup power to stay on for a set time and connect the amp to get straight power. Ofc, if the amp does not handle a sudden power loss well, will not help.
That is a good thought, though I am not sure my home UPS has that feature (we have ones at work that do). And I'd have to add a second UPS in series since mine is used to keep everything alive during our not-infrequent power outages so I do not want the main one cycling on and off with the system.

JPA

Forum Donor
Thanks. I honestly do not remember if my Buckeye NC252MP amp has muting or not; I am using the trigger so haven't looked. I need a way to kill the trigger first, let the amps bleed down (if not muted), then turn off the processor (SDP-75). I pinged my dealer, Harman, and Trinnov about that years ago but never heard anything (lone voice in the wilderness?) I should do it again (squeaky wheel). In the primordial past I had a little relay circuit that would delay amp turn-on and then instantly turn it off as the preamp was power cycled.

That is a good thought, though I am not sure my home UPS has that feature (we have ones at work that do). And I'd have to add a second UPS in series since mine is used to keep everything alive during our not-infrequent power outages so I do not want the main one cycling on and off with the system.
I use a Furman power sequencer, which has worked well for me for many years. Not cheap, but bulletproof.
https://www.furmanpower.com/power-sequencing/

Top Bottom