• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Is/was there a price increase for the new circuitry?
Not at all! There was already an open spot on the board to add the fix (which is just a simple resistor). Which also allows the already manufactured 2ch and 4ch boards to be fixed on the spot without going back through production so no further delay either.

CharlesDickens

Hi Dylan. I've been recommending your amps to prospective customers @ ASR. How are your amps situated per competitive pricing. I have been told that there are 2 channel units available like a Crown XLS series for less money with DSP. I did a quick comparison and found your amp has a bit more power but no DSP. How are your amps situated in the overall marketplace pricing? What is the advantage of a Buckeye amp over a Crown?
I would be careful with Crown amps. I owned one and it was great for what it was, which is a pro audio amp. Run an electric piano through it and it does very well. However, the one I had used a loud continuous fan for cooling. That's fine for when on stage and the band is destroying the audience's ear drums, but not so good for home audio, IMO.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Crown XLS amps brought into the Buckeye/Hypex thread (imo they are in different use case/performance camps), followed by an unspecified Crown pro only amp as some type of comparison (of which the consumer/pro XLS shares little in common with, again imo the exception being it also sounds quite decent with electric piano).

Back to Buckeye amps, very good to see the lead times getting shorter. I am getting ready to order for my upcoming HT/music room build.
It's sure to be even quieter than my already silent Crown XLS :) ....

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The official 2ch, 4ch, and LED boards and cables are on hand!

Attachments

• 20220630_180206.jpg
    20220630_180206.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 228

drwho

Can I ask if there are any hiss/hum noise coming from the amp going to Klipsch speakers.. I have home theater with Klipsch 8000F and 6000F speakers and interested in getting 3x 4ch Hypex module amps. Worry about hiss since my work from home office is right next to one of the surround speaker. Thanks

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
any hiss/hum noise coming from the amp going to Klipsch speakers

None on my home theater system. I have 2 Heresy II's as front L/R and my Buckeye 6 channel amp is silent when there is no program playing.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quiescent noise is 40 microvolts per Hypex.

Rick “doubting any speaker will make that audible in a real house” Denney

Green7

I have my preamp, amp, DAC, subwoofer and streamer connected to a Belkin Power Strip Surge Protector. I will be replacing my current amp (Adcom GFA 535 II) with a Buckeye Hypex NC252MP 2-channel, which I am expecting in July. Any issues connecting it to the power strip or should it go directly to the wall outlet?

Last edited:

Lawyrup843

Can I ask if there are any hiss/hum noise coming from the amp going to Klipsch speakers.. I have home theater with Klipsch 8000F and 6000F speakers and interested in getting 3x 4ch Hypex module amps. Worry about hiss since my work from home office is right next to one of the surround speaker. Thanks
Buckeye amps have no hiss with Klipsch speakers. As a matter of fact I had an Audiophonics amp based on same nc252 module and got hiss at about 1 foot from tweeters. Same module but with Buckeye got dead silence with ear right next to the tweeter. Go figure.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have all my preamp, amp, DAC, subwoofer and streamer connected to a Belkin Power Strip Surge Protector. I will be replacing my current amp (Adcom GFA 535 II) with a Buckeye Hypex NC252MP 2-channel, which I am expecting in July. Any issues connecting it to the power strip or should it go directly to the wall outlet?
Connecting to the power strip should be OK if you don't have too many high current draw units connected to the same strip. What else will be connected to this same strip?

Green7

Connecting to the power strip should be OK if you don't have too many high current draw units connected to the same strip. What else will be connected to this same strip?
Anthem AVM20 (for Preamp), Schiit Modius (DAC), Wiim Mini (Streamer), Pinnacle Baby Boomer (Sub). Spec on the Belkin strip is 6,000 volts maximum spike voltage, 15A AC, 125V, and 1875W.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anthem AVM20 (for Preamp), Schiit Modius (DAC), Wiim Mini (Streamer), Pinnacle Baby Boomer (Sub). Spec on the Belkin strip is 6,000 volts maximum spike voltage, 15A AC, 125V, and 1875W.
Your sub has a max draw of (hold on still getting the details.), the Hypex NC252MP has a max draw of 650W/2ch amp and the rest of the gear has minimal requirements so you are good to go. It's also good to keep them on one/same strip so that they all are referencing to the same ground. So enjoy! :D

EDIT: I had a power draw spec in watts or amps for the Baby Boomer sub although it was not the correct spec. I attempted finding a <.pdf> manual on it and found none. Can you look at the specs plate on it and see what the power requirements for it are for power draw.
Screenshot 2022-07-04 164431.png

Attachments

• NC252MP_02xx.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The sub is the only device that will pull much power, maybe 900 watts on instantaneous peaks in the low frequency range (600 watt rating plus A/B inefficiency). The NC252 may pull as much as 600 watts on peaks (probably a lot less under any reasonable scenario—the Hypex power draw specs seem rather extreme—1% distortion into 4 ohms). I don't see any problem with that power strip.

Rick “those power draws will be LOUD” Denney

Green7

@Doodski , @rdenney

Thank you. I have been meaning to dig out my Technics SL-DD22 and my old Sony CD player and add to the setup, but have been fully satisfied with streaming. Only lately, I started noticing a popping sound on my Adcom amp when I turn it off, which was not there in the 20+ years I have owned it. Figured it was time to upgrade and check out the Hypex amp from Buckeye.

bkdc

Forum Donor
Buckeye amps have no hiss with Klipsch speakers. As a matter of fact I had an Audiophonics amp based on same nc252 module and got hiss at about 1 foot from tweeters. Same module but with Buckeye got dead silence with ear right next to the tweeter. Go figure.

I have to put my ear about 2 to 3 inches from my tweeter to hear a very subtle hiss from my speaker hooked up to the Audiophonics MPA-250NC (NC252MP based)
amplifier. It's functionally silent. I'd expect all amplifiers using the same module to behave similarly unless there is a gross design flaw or you have a defective board. I have two Buckeye NC252MP amps on order... looking forward to the few extra features.

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, end of June and all July NC502MP orders will be delayed.

QC checks on the NC502MP restock Hypex received didn't pass so they are being fixed before being sent out to businesses.

This also does help clear up some confusion where I've seen people claiming Hypex modules are sent directly from the manufacturing locations in Asia. They in fact are shipped out of Hypex headquarters and go through stringent QC testing.

ferdaudio

Dylan, do the NC252MP Ghent builds have the new auto-sensing feature/input board, or if not can it be added? I thought I read this somewhere but now I can't find the post.

Basically, I'm looking for your build except with a shorter case depth. The Ghent 7" case depth is more tolerable for my application.

I do not need a 12V trigger.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Dylan, do the NC252MP Ghent builds have the new auto-sensing feature/input board, or if not can it be added? I thought I read this somewhere but now I can't find the post.

Basically, I'm looking for your build except with a shorter case depth. The Ghent 7" case depth is more tolerable for my application.

I do not need a 12V trigger.
The Ghent builds do not have the new features of my amps.

I don't control the cutouts or dimensions of the Ghent cases, so they are not made to fit my new input board

Top Bottom