• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Keened

Forum Donor
Time to get a custom laser engraving for the plates that say "Designed by Dr. ..."

Looking forward to your next project where you casually fix all auto-immune disorders :D

jeffbook

PhD in Molecular and Cell Biology, focus on Immunology
Congratulations!! So where are you going from here as far as your doctorate is concerned? Will there be room in your schedule to continue to build high end Class D amps in the future?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Congratulations!! So where are you going from here as far as your doctorate is concerned? Will there be room in your schedule to continue to build high end Class D amps in the future?
I'm going to focus on the business full time for now as I have some health things to work on/figure out.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
PhD in Molecular and Cell Biology, focus on Immunology
Glad to hear of the end of May shipments (I have a two channel backordered in March)

How did you get from folded proteins to transistors? Or, I should say, from DNA to MCU?

Last edited:

adamcstephens

Paid my down payment on a 2 channel build last night and can't wait until August.

Happy to support a fellow Ohioan and keep some of that money locally.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Glad to hear of the end of May shipments (I have a two channel backordered in March)

How did you get from folded proteins to transistors? Or, I should say, from DNA to MCU?
Got into "home theater" back in 2007 with my first purchase of some Paradigm Atom v6 and the giant CC-390 center. From that day forward I was always chasing great surround, first for gaming then I slowly began appreciating proper subwoofers and watching movies more at home and less at the theaters. It turned into a hobby of a lot of experimentation and money, different rooms, configs.

When the pandemic hit and I was home a lot more, I finally decided to do my own DIY build of the Hypex modules (having heard the ATI version of Hypex and falling in love). One thing I learned during my DIY build was the lack of companies based in the US for Hypex. I also love being involved in the audio communities and started thinking "I could provide DIY quality builds of the OEM only Hypex for those in the US looking for these but not paying a premium".

I started off thinking I might have 5-10 builds a month max and then it started taking off after word of mouth and ASR reviews. So I have continuously been expanding/perfecting the builds (performance from my first build til the newest ones has not changed but wire coloring, routing, layout, etc has).

The new input boards are allowing me to finally grow this to a full fledged business where I can have realistic wait times for those who are not as patient or involved in the community (those looking for delivery within 2wks max).

I still love research and my field of expertise, but for now I want to continue getting the business on track for sustained builds with low wait times along with new offerings (Purifi for instance). Then from there see where research may fit in.

I also have a chronic health issue that has made working from home a lot more favorable than when I started my PhD, so it has changed what I can realistically do with my degree compared to when I first started it.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I am FINALLY getting into May orders (the theft and having to do a first draft for a first author paper really ate into my time).

I will reach out to customers individually, but for those with a May or June order who isn't already slated for the new input board builds, let me know if you are interested in upgrading your current order and I can offer it for a discounted price. They should be ready for primetime builds by the middle of June at the latest

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The official, final build boards for the 2 and 4ch amps are on their way to me this week. A lot of people have switched their builds to the new boards. Builds will still happen in order of original order placement. But I anticipate being able to quickly fill orders while also keeping on schedule for those who are still waiting on original build designs/didn't want to switch to the new builds.

Come end of July, all orders are the new boards and this should be when I will see my output of orders increase three or four fold per week. Which also means I am *hoping* by end of third quarter build times will officially be 2-4wks max for any new order.

Descartes

Major Contributor
It's been a busy last two weeks, starting with the loss of some completed amps (still haven't found who took them) and getting ready for graduation ceremony. I'm nearly into May ETA orders finallly, and the new boards should be in hand towards end of month meaning order fulfillment times will drastically decrease.

Thank you to the community and everyone willing to have patience. As my business grows I know the importance of providing a more readily available product and should be at a point soon where orders will take less than 4wks max.

Attached for good thoughts is a photo from my graduation ceremony last night. I have some finishing touches to do over the summer on my thesis and defense but the end is in sight!
What is you PhD in?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A last minute minor issue was discovered when using RCA to XLR connection with the new boards. Fix is in the works and should be very simple, so not expecting a major delay.

Due diligence for quality first.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The issue seems to have been fixed (just needed a small tweak to the Auto Sense circuit). Final verification of the fix should be done this weekend and then I'll be able to start filling the new input board orders within about 14 days or so. Almost there!

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although this may seem a bit self-serving ;), kudos to Dylan for understanding the value of external testing these new designs. Furthermore, once the issue was uncovered, having the integrity to invest the extra time and effort to fix. The impact of the monitoring circuit was small and likely inaudible, but he chose to have it corrected anyway.

Hopefully will get the updated amps over the weekend and will retest as soon as I can.

For all the fathers out there, have a great Father’s Day!

Best wishes,

Rick

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The issue seems to have been fixed (just needed a small tweak to the Auto Sense circuit). Final verification of the fix should be done this weekend and then I'll be able to start filling the new input board orders within about 14 days or so. Almost there!
Hi Dylan. I've been recommending your amps to prospective customers @ ASR. How are your amps situated per competitive pricing. I have been told that there are 2 channel units available like a Crown XLS series for less money with DSP. I did a quick comparison and found your amp has a bit more power but no DSP. How are your amps situated in the overall marketplace pricing? What is the advantage of a Buckeye amp over a Crown?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Although this may seem a bit self-serving ;), kudos to Dylan for understanding the value of external testing these new designs. Furthermore, once the issue was uncovered, having the integrity to invest the extra time and effort to fix. The impact of the monitoring circuit was small and likely inaudible, but he chose to have it corrected anyway.

Hopefully will get the updated amps over the weekend and will retest as soon as I can.

For all the fathers out there, have a great Father’s Day!

Best wishes,

Rick
Care to give technical details as to what the issue was and how it was fixed? ;)

Top Bottom