• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The member whose company is helping me design the Purifi Buffer Board and the NCxxxMP Input Board hooked everything up to an NC502MP I had sent him to test on and his email response to me sums it up well:

"These amps have crazy clean power"

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The member whose company is helping me design the Purifi Buffer Board and the NCxxxMP Input Board
I sure hope it's a member that really has a clue as there's much more to it than just connecting the pinout. :)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I sure hope it's a member that really has a clue as there's much more to it than just connecting the pinout. :)
They own/operate an electronics engineering company and has shown an incredible amount of knowledge in designing/assembling the PCB's from the ground. so I would say so

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I am ready to take orders on the new 2ch offerings (prices updated on first page). These amps will have input boards with the XLR connectors built-in (correct Pin 1 grounding still in play). Along with a very low draw 12v trigger (~10mA), it offers Auto On (turns on when an XLR signal is detected), MCU control of start up/shutdown, and an LED board that will report clipping and fault/error states.

Any customer with a pending 2ch build who would like to switch to this new revision, contact me and I can update invoices. Please note, this would push your build back to an ETA of July.

HOWEVER, if all goes well and the boards are ready sooner, I can start filling 2ch orders quickly and possibly have delivery a lot sooner.

mga2009

Quick question here...

Can I wire your NC502 or NC252 amps to work in mono BTL? Meaning an easy switch and not tinker, solder or anything.

Cheers.

According to HypeX website:
NC502
Power (4Ω)2x 500W (1x 1000W in BTL)
Power (8Ω)2x 350W (1x 1200W in BTL)

NC252
Power (4Ω)2x 250W (1x 400W in BTL)
Power (8Ω)2x 150W (1x 500W in BTL)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Quick question here...

Can I wire your NC502 or NC252 amps to work in mono BTL? Meaning an easy switch and not tinker, solder or anything.

Cheers.

According to HypeX website:
NC502
Power (4Ω)2x 500W (1x 1000W in BTL)
Power (8Ω)2x 350W (1x 1200W in BTL)

NC252
Power (4Ω)2x 250W (1x 400W in BTL)
Power (8Ω)2x 150W (1x 500W in BTL)
Yup!

The easiest way to do it without any internal wiring modification is to get an XLR splitter cable. One of the split ends you leave wired correctly. The other split end you would unscrew/open up the end going into the amp and swap the wires for Pin 2 (+) and Pin 3 (-). Then you would connect the positive (Red) speaker out corresponding to the untouched/regular XLR end to the positive (Red) of the speaker and the positive (Red) speaker out corresponding to the rewired XLR end to the negative (Black) of the speaker.

mga2009

Yup!

The easiest way to do it without any internal wiring modification is to get an XLR splitter cable. One of the split ends you leave wired correctly. The other split end you would unscrew/open up the end going into the amp and swap the wires for Pin 2 (+) and Pin 3 (-). Then you would connect the positive (Red) speaker out corresponding to the untouched/regular XLR end to the positive (Red) of the speaker and the positive (Red) speaker out corresponding to the rewired XLR end to the negative (Black) of the speaker.
Thanks for the quick reply! and good news!

Cheers.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The 2ch input board prototype seems to be done and will be sent off for a "production mode" build. From this I will assemble an "official build" to have thoroughly measured/tested.

Auto Sense is reported to work great. Threshold can be tweaked via the MCU as well if any issues arise during measurement testing.

Once everything is confirmed working/perfect, I can start incorporating the new 2ch board into existing pending orders (would require covering the price increase, otherwise will build as already agreed upon).

From there, I am hoping the 4ch and 8ch boards will be rather simple to prototype and produce.

niloiv

Neat work! I'm looking for a new balanced amp for my monitors. They're 8ohm & 120W max input, I guess NC252 would be too powerful for my need?

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"Too much power" is an audiophile oxymoron, especially in the Class D era. Just turn it up less. :p
But if it can go to 11....IT MUST GO TO 11!!!! ;)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Neat work! I'm looking for a new balanced amp for my monitors. They're 8ohm & 120W max input, I guess NC252 would be too powerful for my need?
As said above, you don't have to worry about too much power. The amp will only provide what the speakers "dictate". In nearly any scenario your ears will be the limiting factor before your speakers are supplied too much power (either from sheer dB level or audible distortion).

The actually overpower a speaker would require intentionally trying to blow them out or rupture your ear drums (again, in nearly most instances)

H-RYCAJ

Hey, I am currently on the waitlist for the newer hypex two-channel 252 builds. I started a new post and would greatly appreciate some help from fellow members regarding my setup.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I don’t want to read the entire post and was wondering if you could please let me know if your designs are better than the Monolith by Monoprice M8250x?
Love the idea of 8 channels that way with two of them I can do 9.4.6!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I don’t want to read the entire post and was wondering if you could please let me know if your designs are better than the Monolith by Monoprice M8250x?
Love the idea of 8 channels that way with two of them I can do 9.4.6!
I wouldn't say better but very similar (for design). Performance wise, there isn't much variation in measurements between different NCxxxMP offerings, based on Amir's results.
I do know my new revisions offer two things I don't see listed for the Monoprice amps: clipping/error indicator and Auto On.

niloiv

very interested! so ghent build is always on, is that the only difference between the two builds?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
very interested! so ghent build is always on, is that the only difference between the two builds?
Yes, though you can turn it on/off manually or use a switched power strip (a power strip that has outlets that are normally closed but will open with a trigger or other similar event)

niloiv

Yes, though you can turn it on/off manually or use a switched power strip (a power strip that has outlets that are normally closed but will open with a trigger or other similar event)
gotcha! so the expected date for regular build is july now? if i get on the waitlist can i cancel my order any time before that (in case I find something else available?)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
gotcha! so the expected date for regular build is july now? if i get on the waitlist can i cancel my order any time before that (in case I find something else available?)
You can, absolutely. Though I do ask people to be somewhat sure of their intent (not anything stringent as I know things can change or used products/opportunities come up). Mainly because the down payments as of right now are helping to fund the revision overhauls I am doing. A little bit of a juggling act for the next few months getting everything revised and in circulation.

Top Bottom