• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestions for power amp

H-RYCAJ

As the title suggests, I am looking for a power amplifier but am open to other options should they arise.

I am currently browsing Behringer a800 = 279$
and Crown XLS models 1002 = 385$

I like the DSP feature on the crown XLS to set frequency cut-offs.

Alternatively, I have thought maybe it's better to save a bit and go with something via Audiophonics/Buckeye/Vtv route for a high-power Ncore amp. I looked at Emotiva, but their shipping rates are outrageous for non-US customers. Even with their factory refurbished promo's

I currently have a Yamaha RX v4a for my tv set up. The unit has no pre-outs.

Looking for something for dedicated music listening using Pi>topping e30 as pre/DAC > power amp >speakers. One thing to mention is that I would like to include a subwoofer into this integration, and the chain mentioned above doesn't seem to support that. Would I need to purchase something like mini DSP flex or a unit similar to emotiva's basx pt1? I have been trying to source a used AVR with front/LCR pre-outs and use that, but AVR'S with that function are selling for 4-500 used.

Thank you so much for your attention and participation.

OP
H

H-RYCAJ

Ended up going the Buckeye Route (Hypex nc252mp). I could use some suggestions for a preamp with bass integration as my Yamaha RX v4a has no pre-outs. Could I use pi streamer> minidsp 2x4HD > E30(pre mode)> buckeye> speakers?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ended up going the Buckeye Route (Hypex nc252mp). I could use some suggestions for a preamp with bass integration as my Yamaha RX v4a has no pre-outs. Could I use pi streamer> minidsp 2x4HD > E30(pre mode)> buckeye> speakers?

The RX V4A can act as pre-amp and has a full set of pre-outs (7.2). What do you mean by bass integration particularly?

Holmz

Major Contributor
In the US the buckeye makes sense.

In terms of the “whole enchilada”, I would personally try looking at the Lyngdorf TDAI range if you want to get the DSP inside of the amp.
It depends on how much work you want to do and how many boxes you can tolerate, versus trading that for price and simplicity.

However they do not have a sub channel.

OP
H

H-RYCAJ

The RX V4A can act as pre-amp and has a full set of pre-outs (7.2). What do you mean by bass integration particularly?
03-rx-v4a-bl-re-agbf_80d0e84428e2640ae805256aac6c1f33.jpg

I think you are confusing the rx 4va with the rx a4a. The naming convention is not the greatest. The above picture is the rear of the 4VA. the one below is the A4A.
03-rx-a4a-re-agbf_202105_c57d1912ebe36950042fbe51ea334185.jpg

OP
H

H-RYCAJ

Could anyone see limitations to using a mini dsphd? https://www.minidsp.com/applications/digital-crossovers/subwoofer-integration-with-minidsp
After the initial setup, I would have my pi stream music > minidsp 2x4HD> topping e30(pe mode to control volume> buckeye amps> speakers. Or would it be better to run PI> E30 DAC> mini DSP 2x4hd>buckeye> speakers? Apparently, you can use a remote with the mini DSP 2x4hd to control volume.

Edit: Will I run into any issues since the topping/mini dsp is unbalanced running directly into the balanced Buckeye amp? I will be using RCA to XLR cable. Would appreciate the help.

Edit: Maybe down the road, I will go 2.2 since I will have one out not being used. For 200$ + mic, this device checks off so many boxes. WILD!

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
03-rx-v4a-bl-re-agbf_80d0e84428e2640ae805256aac6c1f33.jpg

I think you are confusing the rx 4va with the rx a4a. The naming convention is not the greatest. The above picture is the rear of the 4VA. the one below is the A4A.
03-rx-a4a-re-agbf_202105_c57d1912ebe36950042fbe51ea334185.jpg
Yep, too similar of model numbers :)

dvcpro100

Will this thread help?

deercreekaudio

Dealer
Could anyone see limitations to using a mini dsphd? https://www.minidsp.com/applications/digital-crossovers/subwoofer-integration-with-minidsp
After the initial setup, I would have my pi stream music > minidsp 2x4HD> topping e30(pe mode to control volume> buckeye amps> speakers. Or would it be better to run PI> E30 DAC> mini DSP 2x4hd>buckeye> speakers? Apparently, you can use a remote with the mini DSP 2x4hd to control volume.

Edit: Will I run into any issues since the topping/mini dsp is unbalanced running directly into the balanced Buckeye amp? I will be using RCA to XLR cable. Would appreciate the help.

Edit: Maybe down the road, I will go 2.2 since I will have one out not being used. For 200$ + mic, this device checks off so many boxes. WILD!
Balanced (XLR/TRS) interfaces have the benefits of excellent common mode noise rejection and higher drive levels. However it is best to match the connections on both ends, RCA to RCA (single ended) or balanced to balanced. For example, driving a balanced input device with a single ended source will not provide the full performance capability of the system.

Our suggestion would be the miniDSP Flex with Hypex Amplifiers connected like this.

1658085923403.jpeg

Deer Creek Audio is an authorized miniDSP dealer

Top Bottom