• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Well, I can finally show what I have been working on (with A LOT of help from a kick ass forum member).

As most of you know, I am the sole owner and builder. I am also near the end of a PhD. So when word of mouth (because all of you in this community of awesome) and popularity spread last summer, the orders started building and building. For the most part it was acceptable as the audio community is very understandable for "custom" type products (like a Funk Audio subwoofer). And global shortages also helped with the long wait times (some people received their amps from me before speakers or processors). And I have always tried to be upfront on wait times and what I can handle on my own.

But, I also have not wanted to hire anyone. Not so much out of greed, but because I would rather be hands on for every single build and customer service. So the issue arose: how do I grow if I can't accept more orders and build them faster at the same level of quality?

Behold, my answer: a custom LED board and Input board. The input board has the XLR and 12v built-in, along with a slide switch to allow easy toggle between always on, 12v enabled, or Auto Sense (Auto On). The LED board up front connects to the input board and will change color if clipping occurs. Custom made, ready to use/pre-terminated cables will also be produced.

The benefit: a typical 2ch build right now takes about 1.5hrs as I have to terminate all cables, heat shrink, mount XLR's and Binding posts, etc etc.
With the new boards I anticipate assembly taking MAX 30 minutes (pretty much the same as a Ghent Audio kit build). The huge advantage will come with the 6/8ch builds. Those normally take me 6-8hrs. I anticipate getting that down to 2hrs max.

The goal is to expand from about 5 orders a week to minimum of 10 while I finish my PhD and then up to 15 a week come end of summer. I hope to even get to a point where the 2ch Hypex (and eventually Purifi) amps would have a max turn around time of 1 week (larger channel counts may still have a longer wait time, but hopefully 4 weeks max compared to the current 16 weeks).

The only downside is prices might go up *slightly*. Waiting to get the cost of the finished boards when ordering large quantity. And at most I would expect maybe a 5% increase.

Now, for past and current (pending) Buckeye owners: quality will be the same. This change will not make my newest offerings "better". The two major additions is the Auto Sense and built-in clipping LED.

There is no hard timeline on the implementation of this change, so all orders will continue to be completed with normal build approach and timeline. If someone with a pending order wants to wait for this option, I can work that out with them (though most likely some of the further out orders will be fulfilled with the changes due to timeline anyways).

Attachments

• 2ch hypex input.jpg
    2ch hypex input.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 222
  • led board.jpg
    led board.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 219

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Well, I can finally show what I have been working on (with A LOT of help from a kick ass forum member).

As most of you know, I am the sole owner and builder. I am also near the end of a PhD. So when word of mouth (because all of you in this community of awesome) and popularity spread last summer, the orders started building and building. For the most part it was acceptable as the audio community is very understandable for "custom" type products (like a Funk Audio subwoofer). And global shortages also helped with the long wait times (some people received their amps from me before speakers or processors). And I have always tried to be upfront on wait times and what I can handle on my own.

But, I also have not wanted to hire anyone. Not so much out of greed, but because I would rather be hands on for every single build and customer service. So the issue arose: how do I grow if I can't accept more orders and build them faster at the same level of quality?

Behold, my answer: a custom LED board and Input board. The input board has the XLR and 12v built-in, along with a slide switch to allow easy toggle between always on, 12v enabled, or Auto Sense (Auto On). The LED board up front connects to the input board and will change color if clipping occurs. Custom made, ready to use/pre-terminated cables will also be produced.

The benefit: a typical 2ch build right now takes about 1.5hrs as I have to terminate all cables, heat shrink, mount XLR's and Binding posts, etc etc.
With the new boards I anticipate assembly taking MAX 30 minutes (pretty much the same as a Ghent Audio kit build). The huge advantage will come with the 6/8ch builds. Those normally take me 6-8hrs. I anticipate getting that down to 2hrs max.

The goal is to expand from about 5 orders a week to minimum of 10 while I finish my PhD and then up to 15 a week come end of summer. I hope to even get to a point where the 2ch Hypex (and eventually Purifi) amps would have a max turn around time of 1 week (larger channel counts may still have a longer wait time, but hopefully 4 weeks max compared to the current 16 weeks).

The only downside is prices might go up *slightly*. Waiting to get the cost of the finished boards when ordering large quantity. And at most I would expect maybe a 5% increase.

Now, for past and current (pending) Buckeye owners: quality will be the same. This change will not make my newest offerings "better". The two major additions is the Auto Sense and built-in clipping LED.

There is no hard timeline on the implementation of this change, so all orders will continue to be completed with normal build approach and timeline. If someone with a pending order wants to wait for this option, I can work that out with them (though most likely some of the further out orders will be fulfilled with the changes due to timeline anyways).
Looks great as always - well done to you and the KAFM.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As most of you know, I am the sole owner and builder. I am also near the end of a PhD. So when word of mouth (because all of you in this community of awesome) and popularity spread last summer, the orders started building and building.
Good to see your business is thriving. You have found a nice niche for yourself. :D

That's a major issue that I've run across in the past too. I never solved the issue I just put in more and more hours till I was flatlined exhausted. At some point in time if you want to further the business that day when a employee is required may come. Be prepared. :D

That's the way to get efficiencies in the process. :D

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor

Hi Dylan,

A few follow up questions to your above announcement: (Great to hear your Business is booming. Outstanding work on your part! BZ…)

Can you explain how and where in/on the enclosure the clipping light will be mounted ?
How and/or will the LED’s be visible to users under operating conditions?
Do you have a way/plan to retrofit this clip indicator to existing amp builds ?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hi Dylan,

A few follow up questions to your above announcement: (Great to hear your Business is booming. Outstanding work on your part! BZ…)

Can you explain how and where in/on the enclosure the clipping light will be mounted ?
How and/or will the LED’s be visible to users under operating conditions?
Do you have a way/plan to retrofit this clip indicator to existing amp builds ?
The LED indicator will be on the front, about the same position as the current power LED

Under normal condition the light will be Blue and visible (like it is now, but a smaller 3mm LED). When clipping occurs it will turn/blink purple (it is an RGB LED)

Retrofit would be easy but require drilling. It won't fit in place of the current LED (size difference) but if someone doesn't mind easy drilling the could make a new 3mm hole anywhere on the front panel. The LED board has two stand off so you can secure it to the bottom panel (would need to drill two holes, though it might fit perfectly between two bottom vent slits).
So I could most likely sell the LED board and premade cable independently and the user could splice the wires needed to have the LED operate as clipping only while still maintaining their original power LED

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Oh. And there is actually one more "surprise" the new Input board holds. Can anyone guess it from looking at it?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Oh. And there is actually one more "surprise" the new Input board holds. Can anyone guess it from looking at it?
Looks like a 28 pin microcontroller bordered by an ICSP port.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
The LED indicator will be on the front, about the same position as the current power LED

Under normal condition the light will be Blue and visible (like it is now, but a smaller 3mm LED). When clipping occurs it will turn/blink purple (it is an RGB LED)

Retrofit would be easy but require drilling. It won't fit in place of the current LED (size difference) but if someone doesn't mind easy drilling the could make a new 3mm hole anywhere on the front panel. The LED board has two stand off so you can secure it to the bottom panel (would need to drill two holes, though it might fit perfectly between two bottom vent slits).
So I could most likely sell the LED board and premade cable independently and the user could splice the wires needed to have the LED operate as clipping only while still maintaining their original power LED
Thanks for the answers Dylan. Great news. Please put me on your list for the clip conversion kit.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Oh my, I thought Buckeye amps were good "as is". You are taking it to a whole new level. :D
NONE of this was on my radar but the kick ass forum member reached out to me and, well, he's a wizard and was just throwing all these things at me we could do at very little cost.

I figure if I can add almost all the features of competitors while still coming in below their pricing.....

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
NONE of this was on my radar but the kick ass forum member reached out to me and, well, he's a wizard and was just throwing all these things at me we could do at very little cost.

I figure if I can add almost all the features of competitors while still coming in below their pricing.....
That kick ass ASR member deserves a beer.

Keened

Forum Donor
Soft start/muted start-up and shut down (if all goes well with testing)
Well...dang, that's everything other than dedicated RCA inputs then. Can't wait to place the pre-orders for a 2 and 3 channel configuration. Will you offer custom LED programming as an add-on/change it ourselves? Rather have Red for power and Purple for clipping

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I may go that route as well, I just need to find the amp that has RCA and XLR inputs. So for movies, RCA and for hi-fi, XLR. The only thing I would need to do is flip the switch in the back of the amp to change the source input.
In a colocated music/HT setup (separated systems, but sharing some speakers/amps), I'd use an external XLR switch box (Nobsound was tested here at ASR and passed with flying colors) with an appropriate RCA-to-XLR cable from the AVR (Hypex specifies the recommended cable config in their "pin 1 problem" app note). I've been running this type of setup for years, works great.

Or one can go the harder route, and add the extra RCA connectors and switches to the Buckeye amp (Hypex also specifies how to do that in the above referenced app note).

IMO the first solution is much easier to implement, easier to use in real life (no reaching back into the rack and fumbling around for switches, or confirming how they are already set on the back of the amp), and more flexible as you are not limiting your selection of available amps to just those with both connections.

Top Bottom