• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

Golfx

Forum Donor

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I will most likely start with a NC502MP build with Ghent case.

I have one of those and I love it. Right now it's driving the 2.0 part of my Great Room 2.1 system. Clean, transparent, powerful, perfect.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
One change as the new year approaches:

Prices for the Ghent builds have gone up to reflect the recent price increase of modules by Hypex. Anyone who has already contacted me about a Ghent build will have the original pricing honored.

As far as outlook for my builds, I still do not see prices increasing on any of my builds for the foreseeable future.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One change as the new year approaches:

Prices for the Ghent builds have gone up to reflect the recent price increase of modules by Hypex. Anyone who has already contacted me about a Ghent build will have the original pricing honored.

As far as outlook for my builds, I still do not see prices increasing on any of my builds for the foreseeable future.

It's great that Buckeye amp prices are stable. It would be wonderful if the build time could stabilize too. It takes 3+ months to get a Buckeye amp from order date now. Will that grow with your increased popularity? If so, next December might be a 6 month wait (June 2023) for delivery? :D

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Regarding orders/backlog:

It is not set in stone, but the most likely plan is that when I finish my dissertation this coming Summer (2022), I will turn to working full time on the Buckeye amps and do research part time as a lab manager for my current professor. Basically flip my time commitments.

This would allow me to go from fulling one order a day on average to at least two orders a day. Ideally I would like the average wait time to be 6wks max by next Fall/Winter 2022.

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Prices for the Ghent builds have gone up to reflect the recent price increase of modules by Hypex.
You said the Hypex module had increased in price so Ghent build will increase price too. Why your own build still does not increase in price? Doesn't the price increase affect you too?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
You said the Hypex module had increased in price so Ghent build will increase price too. Why your own build still does not increase in price? Doesn't the price increase affect you too?
I have been able to finally afford buying certain pieces I use in larger bulk which is helping to offset the Hypex price increase (such as getting the Neutrik connectors in larger orders, along with buying the speaker binding posts directly from the manufacturer as opposed to going through Parts Express).

I am still making about $25-40 less per amp (depending on what case is being used) due to both the Hypex price increase and the higher cost of my cases now that I am having certain areas masked off to keep the aluminum bare.
But I am choosing to eat these costs and continue offering my prices as is.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been able to finally afford buying certain pieces I use in larger bulk which is helping to offset the Hypex price increase (such as getting the Neutrik connectors in larger orders, along with buying the speaker binding posts directly from the manufacturer as opposed to going through Parts Express).

I am still making about $25-40 less per amp (depending on what case is being used) due to both the Hypex price increase and the higher cost of my cases now that I am having certain areas masked off to keep the aluminum bare.

Dylan,
Thank you for all your hard work making quality amps available to ASR readers. Your time and effort are appreciated! The fact that you are determined to keep prices low shows a compassion for customers that's rare in todays audio industry. You are truly a blessing to all of us!

Last edited:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I too appreciate your efforts.

At the same time, and to possibly express an unpopular opinion, I would also say that you are in business here, and amplifiers are an entertainment purchase made by folks who by definition have disposable income (even if we have to work hard and scrimp and save for it!) - so I personally would have zero problem if you increased your prices by $25 or $50 to cover your increased costs.

VanillaGorilla

Hi everyone,
My first post here but have already made my order with @Buckeye Amps (Dylan, please check for an email from me requesting an addition to my order). After marathon reading the entire thread my question is this and I thank you in advance for your opinions:
For the RCA to XLR adapters I noticed these are all recommended in various places in the thread:

3 Foot - RCA to XLR (Male) Cable Pair - Canare L-4E6S Star-Quad Audio Interconnect Cable & Neutrik-Rean NYS RCA & Neutrik Male XLR Gold Plugs - Custom Made by WORLDS BEST CABLES https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077YCXNT...abc_SPP9MWCTY3BJ3B9ZQWS2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

3 Foot - RCA to XLR (Male) Cable Pair – Mogami 2534 Star-Quad Audio Interconnect Cable & Amphenol ACPL RCA & Neutrik Male XLR Gold Plugs - Custom Made by WORLDS BEST CABLES https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0957SP4Z...abc_S16HSCZXSRRDF6QV6FY8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Monoprice XLR Male to RCA Male Cable - 3 Feet - Black With E21Gold Plated Connectors | 16AWG Shielded Twisted Pair Oxygen-Free Copper Braid Conductors - Premier Series https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UJH0X...abc_2B02H9G58Z099MQT5334?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have also read a couple of people reported issue with Monoprice. I want to insure I can hook up my Denon 4700h for my 7.2.4 (with only RCA outs available) correct but wow, $45 per pair of cables for the Mogami. I need 11 channels for an "all off" configuration so that would be 6 pairs.

Do I need the higher priced cables or are the Monoprice just as good?

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions and furthering my education!

Last edited:

ethangab

UPDATED 12/10/2021
Current build lead time: March 2022
*Down payments are allowed due to the long wait times*

Official review by Amir
Official teardown by Amir

Hey all,

Long-time A/V enthusiast with an extensive history on the AVS forums and more recently following this site for all the technical and objective expertise. After months of looking for the best amplifier setup over the summer, I went a DIY route and built a 4-channel NC502MP and 6-channel NC252MP build using Modushop cases. One of the reasons for the DIY route was the lack of sellers in the US, and at the time of my needs the offerings of US sellers was limited.

I found putting my amplifiers together a fun "hobby"/relaxing during the nights after I got home from school (working on a PhD currently). So I got to thinking, could I offer a no frills, low cost option for US buyers without much overhead/need to charge more than necessary to turn a small profit while providing a quality product? After a couple of weeks of spitballing and working on a case prototype that is cost effective, I believe the answer is yes.

Builds are based off the Hypex Main Powered NCORE modules:
NC502MP
- 2x450w @ 2ohm
- 2x500w @ 4ohm
- 2x350w @ 8ohm

NC252MP
- 2x180w @ 2ohm
- 2x250w @ 4ohm
- 2x150w @ 8ohm

PRICING:
Large 6/8ch Case (17"x13"x3.5") w/logo on front:

8 channel NC252MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $1549 shipped
6 channel NC502MP
, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $1649 shipped
6 channel NC252MP,
XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $1199 shipped

Medium 4ch Case (12"x12"x3.5") w/logo on front:
4 channel NC502MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $1049 shipped
4 channel NC252MP,
XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $779 shipped

Small 2ch Case (7"x12"x3.5") w/logo on front:
2 channel NC502MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $649 shipped
2 channel NC252MP
, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $499 shipped

*Neutrik speakON connectors are now available as an optional add-on for all amps: $30 extra

Rackmount case:

19" wide front plate (standard rackmount configuration) x 13" deep x 2U height:
- Can fit all above configurations
- Cost is an additional $150 (regardless of channel count)
- If adding Neutrik speakON option, additional cost of $50

- Discounts available for those purchasing two or more amp builds
- Mixing and matching NC502's and NC252's is an option
- International shipping is available

PM or email me directly ([email protected]) for buying or if you have any questions at all

Ghent Installation:

- For those who want a really small 2 channel build, I will now accept shipment of/can order for the customer a Ghent Audio case (w/all installation hardware) to my address, upon which I will install either an NC502MP or NC252MP module and then ship the completed build back:
* $475 charge for NC502 ($700 if I order the case)
* $350 charge for NC252 ($525 if I order the case

How much would it cost for the delivery of nc502 module to Dubai UAE?

rcstevensonaz

I am still making about $25-40 less per amp (depending on what case is being used) due to both the Hypex price increase and the higher cost of my cases...
Why? IMHO, you shouldn't be.

Clearly, there is high demand for your craftmanship (at least, relative to the number of units you are able to produce) and your units remain cost-competitive against the competition. In fact, this might be a good opportunity for you to increase your price by $50 to $150 to cover not only the increase in unit cost, but also to help offset overall inflation that is reducing the purchase power of the profit you already make. Otherwise, you are absorbing a double hit from both the cost increase and from inflation.

Top Bottom