• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

hdaudio

Designs updated. Trying to get them into engineering's hands for the current batch being produced. If not, they will be 2.5mm wide going forward. Thanks for catching that. Again, broken record but I am definitely open to any necessary changes needed. Also a reason I am keeping small stock of everything so I can update accordingly.

@Buckeye Amps
Hypex amps can generate a good amount of heat in idle and use, especially the higher power modules like the NC502MP. No intake vents are visible on the bottom/back/sides of the case, just exhaust vents on the top.

Top exhaust ventilation slots are most useful if there is intake ventilation on the bottom of the case. It looks possible to add slots around the bottom perimeter, between the modules or low on the sides of the case.

Some underestimate the heat from Hypex amplifiers. Hypex created a thermal design application note to help.
https://www.hypex.nl/img/upload/doc/an_wp/AN_Thermal_design.zip

Further Hypex states in their datasheets "Max output power is time limited due to thermal properties."
https://www.hypex.nl/img/upload/doc/ncore_mp/nc502mp/Documentation/NC502MP_02xx_03xx.pdf

The NC502mp datasheet reports 17W idle power consumption, three of these in a case is 51W idle power before amplification power loss.

For reference KJF Audio hypex based amplifiers implemented a cooling solution using quiet microcontroller throttled fans tuned to be inaudible.
https://www.kjfaudio.com/hypex-amplifiers/

Using passive cooling Apollon and ATI orient the hypex modules vertically in some cases with additional heat sinking and vents directly above and below the modules to promote cooling.

What's the thought to increase cooling which improves power output and expected longevity?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps
What relay is used for the 12V trigger and the current capacity rating? Does the relay and rest of the amplifier support 240V input?
Same question as above (supporting 240V), and would you consider shipping to Europe?

Also, how about other options? RCA input? Gain control? What is the gain level like now, would it typically work well with normal preamplifiers or surround processors/receivers?

The 12v relay is only controlling the Standby Voltage + PS Enable jumper so no need to worry about the current it can handle....but it is rated for 277VAC, 30A max (it is a TE Connectivity relay). I am actually switching to a slightly smaller profile relay but it is the same spec rating.

The AC input connector is rated for 15A 120V/250V. And the Fuse Holder is rated up to 250V 15A.

I can ship to Europe but would add exact shipping cost to the prices posted.

At this time I have no plans for adding RCA inputs.

Regarding gain, I have zero issues with running my Hypex modules off a Monoprice HTP-1 pre/pro and briefly a Yamaha AVR.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Regarding cooling, I am not sure what route I might go. I know with my 6 channel NC252 and four channel NC502 builds I am using in my setup, my AC Infinity fans only ever kick on if I am using my Xbox One X....and that's just because the One X fills my TV stand with a huge amount of hot ambient air. But even watching movies back to back or listening to music, the AC Infinity temp hovers around 84-86C. And in standby, the temps are the same as the room ambient temp.

PNWer

The Aluminum is very easy to drill through on the bottom panel, so if an owner wanted to modify the case to their leisure after purchasing it would be pretty simple.

Unfortunately there isn't much I can do on my end at the moment to make a rack mount option I can incorporate as I build, especially since I do not have a rack mount case/stand to test with. If someone where to purchase and find a good, secure way to rack mount it with minimum DIY work and confirmed all the steps, I could then incorporate that into my offerings going forward.

The only other consideration for choosing to use a rack mount shelf over incorporating some sort of rack ears is that the bottom panel on the larger cases (the 17" and 19" wide ones) does sag a little bit with all the weight, hence why I added a 5th case foot in the middle. This is due to the limitations of the aluminum thickness Protocase can use for the top and bottom panels (1.6mm)

Rack shelves for 19" rack are mostly 17.5" in width for the shelf middle.
There is a workaround by flipping the rack shelf over, and sitting the Buckeye amp on top.
Disadvantage is no locking screws can be fixed.

I would prefer mounting with rack ears, rack shelf add more obstructions to the circulating air flow in the rack.
If the multi-channel amp modules are heavy enough to sag the amp case already without a 5th foot in the middle, then mounting the amp by rack ears is not going to work well either.
I think it is better to have thicker bottom panel so the amp modules wouldn't sag the case bottom.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Rack shelves for 19" rack are mostly 17.5" in width for the shelf middle.
There is a workaround by flipping the rack shelf over, and sitting the Buckeye amp on top.
Disadvantage is no locking screws can be fixed.

I would prefer mounting with rack ears, rack shelf add more obstructions to the circulating air flow in the rack.
If the multi-channel amp modules are heavy enough to sag the amp case already without a 5th foot in the middle, then mounting the amp by rack ears is not going to work well either.
I think it is better to have thicker bottom panel so the amp modules wouldn't sag the case bottom.
Unfortunately the bottom panel thickness is not something I can change, as the manufacturer uses the exact thickness because of how it fits into the extruded aluminum side rails. Only the front and back panel thickness can be changed.

When I say sag, it isn't something of concern but more a visual thing my OCD noticed. I'd say maybe 2mm difference between the middle of the bottom panel and the sides when weight is on it. Though that's the 17" wide case. Can't tell about the 19" wide case as I'm still waiting on delivery.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Will you be shipping to Canada?
I can yes. I would have to add shipping charge but it would be on a per customer basis and not a flat fee so I can make sure I'm charging only what's necessary to cover the difference if I was shipping in the US.

For reference, the 6 channel amp weighs in under 12lbs and with insurance was only $30 to ship to Seattle Washington (one of the furthest continental US cities from me)

hdaudio

@Buckeye Amps
Regarding the solderless speaker terminal connections, the non-gold-plated female quick connects stand out, how about considering gold plated copper quick connects?

non-gold.jpg

The example quick connect below is one with good contact area.
51z4TVVkajL._SL1000_.jpg

PNWer

@Buckeye Amps
Regarding the solderless speaker terminal connections, the non-gold-plated female quick connects stand out, how about considering gold plated copper quick connects?

View attachment 92893

The example quick connect below is one with good contact area.
View attachment 92892
How about an option output terminals that are SpeakOn NL-2,
so we can use this kind of speaker cables
https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-speaker-cable-nl2-to-banana-2-pole

For multi-channel amps, not having to worry about loose connects at the back of the amp will save users work/worries.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The gold plated quick connects are something I can look into fairly easy, though I will admit that at a certain point aesthetics become a diminishing returns game especially inside the chassis. But the cost probably is negligible per connector so no harm.

Regarding SpeakOns: I can design some extra back panels to have on hand for those who would absolutely only buy an amp if SpeakOns were available. However, at the moment I do not have the funds to get bulk production of said back panels or add some SpeakOns to my inventory in bulk.

From the beginning, I have maintained I am doing this more as a bridge for the community of people who don't want to spend high prices for these Hypex modules but also don't have the means for a DIY route (mainly due to the scarcity of these modules in the wild). It is a business, yes, and I am more than willing to listen to feedback, input, and market desires, however aside from the changes that are necessary for safety and compliance, I am not able to quickly change the current designs and offerings. Being upfront, I am charging between 10-18% profit on these amps after all parts, taxes, fees, etc are factored in (with the higher channel count amps carrying more profit). But I am intentionally keeping the profit margins low as this isn't so much about a living or business in the sense of raking in extra money for me, but more a hobby that keeps me relaxed on my days off and I can make a little extra cash off of.

For that reason, I hope people are understanding that I am not ignoring requests for certain features, but more so not in a position to be able to implement them right away. As I sell off current inventory of builds, I can definitely shift funds to make a more broad offering...or at least position myself to have other offerings on hand to incorporate into builds (such as SpeakOn options).

That write-up wasn't meant as a rant or to garner sympathy, just me being transparent to the community.

bogart

Forum Donor
From the beginning, I have maintained I am doing this more as a bridge for the community of people who don't want to spend high prices for these Hypex modules but also don't have the means for a DIY route (mainly due to the scarcity of these modules in the wild). It is a business, yes, and I am more than willing to listen to feedback, input, and market desires, however aside from the changes that are necessary for safety and compliance, I am not able to quickly change the current designs and offerings. Being upfront, I am charging between 10-18% profit on these amps after all parts, taxes, fees, etc are factored in (with the higher channel count amps carrying more profit). But I am intentionally keeping the profit margins low as this isn't so much about a living or business in the sense of raking in extra money for me, but more a hobby that keeps me relaxed on my days off and I can make a little extra cash off of.

Being clear on what your business is, who you intend to serve, and what you aren't will help keep you sane. Customers who want to pull you away from that will likely be unhappy and make you unhappy. Not managing the complexity of many offerings and their associated inventory costs will also keep the business sustainable in the "work on days off" bites that you wish it to be. I'm glad to see you're incorporating the feedback on how to make a safe and reliable product, while taking 'feature requests' under advisement. Best wishes to you - and if the border ever reopens so I can pick up stuff in Ohio, I'll be in touch :)

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Being clear on what your business is, who you intend to serve, and what you aren't will help keep you sane. Customers who want to pull you away from that will likely be unhappy and make you happy. Not managing the complexity of many offerings and their associated inventory costs will also keep the business sustainable in the "work on days off" bites that you wish it to be. I'm glad to see you're incorporating the feedback on how to make a safe and reliable product, while taking 'feature requests' under advisement. Best wishes to you - and if the border ever reopens so I can pick up stuff in Ohio, I'll be in touch :)
I hope for the border to open also. I'm a dual citizen and hope to visit my family at some point to make up for lost holidays. Here's hoping!

PNWer

The gold plated quick connects are something I can look into fairly easy, though I will admit that at a certain point aesthetics become a diminishing returns game especially inside the chassis. But the cost probably is negligible per connector so no harm.

Regarding SpeakOns: I can design some extra back panels to have on hand for those who would absolutely only buy an amp if SpeakOns were available. However, at the moment I do not have the funds to get bulk production of said back panels or add some SpeakOns to my inventory in bulk.

For that reason, I hope people are understanding that I am not ignoring requests for certain features, but more so not in a position to be able to implement them right away. As I sell off current inventory of builds, I can definitely shift funds to make a more broad offering...or at least position myself to have other offerings on hand to incorporate into builds (such as SpeakOn options).

That write-up wasn't meant as a rant or to garner sympathy, just me being transparent to the community.

As internet direct merchant, being responsive to potential customers questions can clarify your product.
Buyers would not have misunderstood its features.

Previous questions have led to you revising to narrower cooling vents.

Customers who buy multi-channel amps have multiple pieces of equipment, arranged either on shelves or racks.
19" rack is a common use case.
Your answers clarify planning rack suitability and layout.

Benchmark amplifiers ,as the highest AudioScienceReview tested PA, use SpeakOn connectors.
To offer high quality at low price point would be appropriate for your company too.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems Buckeye has been transparent and very willing to listen to opinions and desires.

Keep in mind, any of the other vendors of these amplifier modules have invested considerable amounts of time and money developing the ENCLOSURE. That, quite frankly (and justifiably), is why you pay the premium you do when you choose to purchase the, essentially same amplifier, that they offer. March, Audiophonics, Nord, VTV, NAD, etc.

The case Buckeye offers is functional and will be more functional with the suggestions he chooses to implement. It's a blessing and a curse really - if you put a ¼" detailed aluminum front on it and a thicker sturdier bottom for the amps to convect better pretty soon it is no longer the bargain you have before you gentlemen. Holding inventory is expensive and the more products you have, the more inventory you must invest in, store, maintain...

How about we just all chip in and buy the guy a serious CNC machine and drill press and he can be our first US based Hypex dealer to offer custom one off designs? :po_O

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I want to clarify a major error in a post from a day or two ago regarding temps: I meant to say my temps are reported as around 84-86F...not celsius. Huge difference lol

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
One clarification on the actual product: the LED on the front is an indicator only. It does not have an incorporated power button.

If someone absolutely needs a power button on the front, I can substitute the LED for a power button that can control the mains AC (since the mains wiring to the modules is routed in this area, easy integration). It would add to the price slightly (~$10).

Top Bottom