• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps any ETA on your current orders? Mine was due today. NBD, I know you have school stuffs, just wondering how far behind you are.
I am about 10-12 days behind on original ETAs. I have been going down the list and touching base with builds in order. Apologies.

squared80

Noob question here, please forgive me. I was looking at the 6-channel NC502MP, but I'm not clear on how many watts per channel that powers @ 8 ohms. Little help?

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Noob question here, please forgive me. I was looking at the 6-channel NC502MP, but I'm not clear on how many watts per channel that powers @ 8 ohms. Little help?

10 seconds on the google machine (or search engine of your choice) came up with this….

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's literally in the first post of this thread...

squared80

I apologized in my post because I couldn't figure it out from the original post or Google. If someone could take 2 seconds to tell me instead of just saying I should know, that would be appreciated. I see 2 channels @ 350W, which tells me it's 116W per channel for 6? Is that right?

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I apologized in my post because I couldn't figure it out from the original post or Google. If someone could take 2 seconds to tell me instead of just saying I should know, that would be appreciated. I see 2 channels @ 350W, which tells me it's 116W per channel for 6? Is that right?
It’s in the numbers… 2 x 350 = 700. So 350 per channel per module. A 6 channel. has 3 modules. All 6 channels will be able to produce 350w

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
No matter how many channels you run, the wattage remains the same*
You could have twelve channels of the NC502MP modules and every channel will still provide the quoted 350w 8ohm/500w 4ohm

*Assuming you are able to properly provide the mains power needed if the wattage draw reaches into ridiculous numbers

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
UPDATE:

The current electronics market has finally caught up to Hypex. Starting today, their OEM prices have increased by an average of 5%. However, they have also changed the quantity of pieces for their price breaks. All in all, for the prices I offer, there should be no changes necessary at this point for any new orders.
This change in their pricing is also meant to help keep their stock/inventory more available (switching manufacturers for components that are scarce, etc).

Just wanted to share an update in case people shopping around between different companies (which I always encourage before making a decision even if it means not going with me) notice price increases elsewhere.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Power ratings are fuzzy. But these are reported per channel and well-described.

Based on the curves, you can count on 220 watts/channel into 8 ohms at 0.003% distortion across the audible bandwidth, and 350 watts per channel into 8 ohms at 1% distortion. If you plan to put out that kind of power continuously, would need more aggressive cooling than has been providdd by implementations on the market. Music does not require this and in practice they run cool.

Rick “earth-moving power” Denney

twokdesigns

I am about 10-12 days behind on original ETAs. I have been going down the list and touching base with builds in order. Apologies.
if I were to order an 8 channel only really need 7 but looks like maybe you only have 8 channel trying to match or better monolith 7 channel where would I order and find details of warranty etc?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
if I were to order an 8 channel only really need 7 but looks like maybe you only have 8 channel trying to match or better monolith 7 channel where would I order and find details of warranty etc?
Send a PM to @Buckeye Amps and ask for a build that meets your needs. Dylan will provide you options and prices.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
For ordering you can PM me or email me directly.
Warranty on the Hypex modules is 1yr. All other parts I use I will replace for as long as I can have access/purchase of them or exact fitment replacements.

diablo900t

There was a post earlier in this thread about trigger out voltage. I have a Yamaha A3070, is that something I need to be concerned about with the Buckeye amp?

I've been using the trigger out with my OSD A5180 amp without issue.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before.. I am about to order a stereo 502MP and realize that there would be no standby switch offered with the Ghent case. Does anyone know whether the 502MP's standby mode can be used such that I can leave the main power switch on full time and only use the standby mode switch for normal use, and only use the main power switch when the unit will not be used for a very long time? I read the data sheet but there isn't much detailed description on how that works, and for what purpose other than energy saving, example: would it help longevity, vs turn the main power switch every time after use?

I would really like to have the main switch on at all times and hoping that by using the standby switch for normal control would minimize or completely avoid those occasional loud pop/thump that sometimes can happen even with all upstream devices including the preamp turn on first and power amp last.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Thererry if this has been asked and answered before.. I am about to order a stereo 502MP and realize that there would be no standby switch offered with the Ghent case. Does anyone know whether the 502MP's standby mode can be used such that I can leave the main power switch on full time and only use the standby mode switch for normal use, and only use the main power switch when the unit will not be used for a very long time? I read the data sheet but there isn't much detailed description on how that works, and for what purpose other than energy saving, example: would it help longevity, vs turn the main power switch every time after use?
I would really like to have the main switch on at all times and hoping that by using the standby switch for normal control would minimize or completely avoid those occasional loud pop/thump that sometimes can happen even with all upstream devices including the preamp turn on first and power amp last.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before.. I am about to order a stereo 502MP and realize that there would be no standby switch offered with the Ghent case. Does anyone know whether the 502MP's standby mode can be used such that I can leave the main power switch on full time and only use the standby mode switch for normal use, and only use the main power switch when the unit will not be used for a very long time? I read the data sheet but there isn't much detailed description on how that works, and for what purpose other than energy saving, example: would it help longevity, vs turn the main power switch every time after use?

There is a power supply enable line on the NC502 (J6-9; HIGH = SMPS enable) and an always on standby power supply (J6-1) which is active whenever there is AC supplied to the module. The standby supply is routed to the enable line through a switch to enable or disable the module

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a power supply enable line on the NC502 (J6-9; HIGH = SMPS enable) and an always on standby power supply (J6-1) which is active whenever there is AC supplied to the module. The standby supply is routed to the enable line through a switch to enable or disable the module

Thank you for the information. Still not clear about the following though:
According to the datasheet:

If I understand right, you are suggesting I should wire J6.1 that is "Positive auxiliary supply" via a switch to J6.9 that is PS Enable to manually put the amp in and out of standby mode?

Then how about J6.3, what would J6.3 be used for and isn't already internally wired to J6.9 to put the main SMPS on after a time delay?

1634412892439.png

I

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Thank you for the information. Still not clear about the following though:
According to the datasheet:

If I understand right, you are suggesting I should wire J6.1 that is "Positive auxiliary supply" via a switch to J6.9 that is PS Enable to manually put the amp in and out of standby mode?

Then how about J6.3, what would J6.3 be used for and isn't already internally wired to J6.9 to put the main SMPS on after a time delay?

View attachment 159445
I
Yes you are correct. J6-3 is what you would use for the voltage output. The other supplies are for powering input circuitry if used. I recently completed a design using this module and I was going from memory.

Top Bottom