• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Lawyrup843

I don’t have Buckeye amps but I do have several NC252MPs, my room currently is 75 degF ambient and the amps run at 90-95 degF, so definitely warm but not hot.

Michael
Thanks Michael. So do you just leave yours on most of the time?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Michael. So do you just leave yours on most of the time?

No, they are all signal driven triggers so they shut off automatically. 4 of them are used with an Okto DAC8 pro which has a trigger and will go in to standby after 10 minutes of no signal. For the other one I use a Bobwire DAT1 to generate a trigger signal which will shutoff after 45 seconds of no signal. I’m not super worried about the heat but I figure it is better if they shut off when not in use.

Michael

simplywyn

No, they are all signal driven triggers so they shut off automatically. 4 of them are used with an Okto DAC8 pro which has a trigger and will go in to standby after 10 minutes of no signal. For the other one I use a Bobwire DAT1 to generate a trigger signal which will shutoff after 45 seconds of no signal. I’m not super worried about the heat but I figure it is better if they shut off when not in use.

Michael

How does triggers work?

diablo900t

These work well for me. I would shy away from adapters.
Monoprice 6ft Premier Series XLR Male to RCA Male Cable, 16AWG (Gold Plated)
Product # 4777
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4777

Thanks for the recommendation! I tried these with my Crown XLS 1002 which has had horrible buzzing when I ran my projector.

These fixed it!! There's a slight hiss now, but it's an huge difference. Was previously using Amazon basics RCAs.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
So, apparently 6ft power cords (14awg/15A rated) are in high demand/low supply. My usual places to order are back ordered for a few months.

Straw poll: is 3ft enough for most setups or just a tad too short?

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Might pay to check with purchasers if they even need the power cord too, and go apple on it. I’ve got so many IEC 16A leads here i could probably scrap them for a new AC unit.

Thanks for my amp btw, worked out perfect (a Frankenstein 122, 252 and 502 build where I provided and installed the 122 and 502).

thegeton

Forum Donor
So when using these amps WITHOUT a trigger, is it ok to just leave it on all the time? The reason I’m asking is because I left it on all day and when I got home from work it was pretty warm to the touch. Not hot just warm.

I have a Buckeye 502 and a 252. Call me a fool, but I leave them on 24/7/365. They don't get warm when idle and they don't show up on my power bill. Oh, and I love these things. Best bang-for-buck audio purchases I've made in a long time.

McFly

Too many consumer grade electrolytic capacitors in the Ncores - I trigger mine off when not in use. You might use your amps a couple hours a day which is fine for a good lifetime 10-20 years on these amps, but leave them on 24/7 your cutting it down to 3-5 years life.

Newman

Major Contributor
Funny how my cheap TVs seem to last 10-20 years on standby/full power.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
So, apparently 6ft power cords (14awg/15A rated) are in high demand/low supply. My usual places to order are back ordered for a few months.

Not enough, but I would prefer 3ft cord instead of waiting longer for my amp. I see a 14 AWG power cord available at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009OLLS, I don't mind buying the right length myself if you ship with a short one.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Follow up: No orders will be delayed or impacted by power cords. I still have a large amount of the 6ft ones I use.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I see an opening for someone to offer $10,000 audiophile 6' power cables. :p

Jdunk54nl

I see an opening for someone to offer $10,000 audiophile 6' power cables. :p
Buckeye amps new slogan "free with any cable purchase, a 6 channel 502 amp!"

Godataloss

I would actually prefer a 3 footer, but either way it doesn't matter. I think I have a spendy audiophool one around here I'll likely use with it. Quick question- The Minidsp SHD I'll be using with it does not have a 12v trigger. I have all my audio gear plugged into a Fuhrman power strip. This is okay, right? I planned on testing it for turn on thump and other electrical issues with some cheaper speakers before putting into the main system, but will it turn on with the power strip or will I have to cycle it every time I need to turn it on or wake it up?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I would actually prefer a 3 footer, but either way it doesn't matter. I think I have a spendy audiophool one around here I'll likely use with it. Quick question- The Minidsp SHD I'll be using with it does not have a 12v trigger. I have all my audio gear plugged into a Fuhrman power strip. This is okay, right? I planned on testing it for turn on thump and other electrical issues with some cheaper speakers before putting into the main system, but will it turn on with the power strip or will I have to cycle it every time I need to turn it on or wake it up?
It will turn on with the power strip. This is how I "controlled" my first DIY Build last year was using a 12v controlled power strip that turned my amp on and off via mains power.

Top Bottom