• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Shanman

Forum Donor
His amp is using a Ghent case. Another thing I have learned is older vs new Neutrik batches. For a while I thought the Neutriks Ghent were using might have been "phonies" way back in January/February as they were slightly different in their body appearance and release tab (internally). But then I placed a large order for Neutrik connectors from an authorized Neutrik dealer and received some that looked like Ghents and the rest that looked like ones I had been using for a while.

Digging into it, Neutrik confirmed all are legit just a slight manufacturing difference. I would assume Ghent has a large quantity of the "older" style (what I call them in my mind) which also seemed to contribute to the tight fits.

I suppose I will try some different cables. Currently testing back and forth between the Ghent/Buckeye 502 and a Monoprice Monolith X3, and swapping cables with the Ghent case is much more firm than I care for.

simplywyn

Just got the 502mp, very powerful. Nothing too fancy, it works, and gives sound. One of the few amps where I just shrugged, and enjoyed the awesome power. It really just works. There are few products in the world where you buy it and it works, delivers what you want 100%. These amps do the trick. My speakers immediately disappeared into the ether after plugging these bad boys in, and the power, even my walls have started to shudder and I'm only at 50% volume. I might break my speakers if I ramp up too much.

At this price, and at this power, it's almost a no brainer. I felt like I bought a NAD 298 for 75% off (what exactly is NAD adding here?). Is there anything better? I feel like we're reached transparent amplification.

Anyway, looking to buy more from buckeye if his catelogue increases or my need for amplification increases. (Add another purifi eigentakt customer Buckeye if you're looking for one)

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a quick question regarding the input voltage of the NC252MP and NC502MP-based amps (which I believe is 1.7V): Is the 6.8V output of my DAC too much for either one of these?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got the 502mp, very powerful. Nothing too fancy, it works, and gives sound. One of the few amps where I just shrugged, and enjoyed the awesome power. It really just works. There are few products in the world where you buy it and it works, delivers what you want 100%. These amps do the trick. My speakers immediately disappeared into the ether after plugging these bad boys in, and the power, even my walls have started to shudder and I'm only at 50% volume. I might break my speakers if I ramp up too much.

At this price, and at this power, it's almost a no brainer. I felt like I bought a NAD 298 for 75% off (what exactly is NAD adding here?). Is there anything better? I feel like we're reached transparent amplification.

Anyway, looking to buy more from buckeye if his catelogue increases or my need for amplification increases. (Add another purifi eigentakt customer Buckeye if you're looking for one)
We all wish he could by the Purifi modules but it is difficult for him to procure them. We all are waiting patiently for that day-he won't be able to keep up with orders at that point! I have one of the 2 ch 252MP amps and it sounds very close to the Purifi. Possibly identical...

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a quick question regarding the input voltage of the NC252MP and NC502MP-based amps (which I believe is 1.7V): Is the 6.8V output of my DAC too much for either one of these?

Short story is this is not an issue.

The 252MP and 502MP both have 25.5 dB nominal gain but have different power ratings so have different input sensitivities. Looking at power in to 4 ohms 252MP has an input sensitivity of 1.7 V and 502MP has an input sensitivity of 2.4 V. If your DAC has a maximum output of 6.8 V it will be possible to clip the 252MP at volume levels above -12 dB and the 502MP at volume levels above -9 dB. That being said if you are listening to something that never reaches 0 dBFS then you can obviously turn the volume up above the thresholds mentioned above with no issue. If you find that you never go above a certain volume level you can also add inline attenuators between the DAC and the amp to maximize SNR.

I always like having a bit more voltage available to compensate for lower level recordings. I run 252MPs with a DAC that has a maximum output voltage of 4 V so it possible to clip the 252MPs if I listen at volume levels above -8 dB. I rarely listen above this volume but on occasion I will get there with very quiet material and I don't worry about it.

Michael

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Short story is this is not an issue.

The 252MP and 502MP both have 25.5 dB nominal gain but have different power ratings so have different input sensitivities. Looking at power in to 4 ohms 252MP has an input sensitivity of 1.7 V and 502MP has an input sensitivity of 2.4 V. If your DAC has a maximum output of 6.8 V it will be possible to clip the 252MP at volume levels above -12 dB and the 502MP at volume levels above -9 dB. That being said if you are listening to something that never reaches 0 dBFS then you can obviously turn the volume up above the thresholds mentioned above with no issue. If you find that you never go above a certain volume level you can also add inline attenuators between the DAC and the amp to maximize SNR.

I always like having a bit more voltage available to compensate for lower level recordings. I run 252MPs with a DAC that has a maximum output voltage of 4 V so it possible to clip the 252MPs if I listen at volume levels above -8 dB. I rarely listen above this volume but on occasion I will get there with very quiet material and I don't worry about it.

Michael

Could also go with the unbuffered gain option. :)

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

From my perspective, I feel like I stole something by paying so little for the NAD; its power and crystal clarity are intoxicating. But I also recognize that, for consumers whose risk tolerance doesn't require them to purchase from multinational corporations, even better value is perhaps available from providers like Buckeye Amps. I'm excited to see what happens next for Buckeye and Orchard Audio.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Did I hear that @Buckeye Amps is looking for Purifi Eigentakt customers? If so, I'm in!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Full transparency:

The initial buy in cost to get the Purifi modules at a price point that would allow me to offer the same "under cutting" prices of my Hypex amps is very very high (nearly 5x the cost of my usual Hypex restocks).

To achieve this, I would have to make this business a full time thing. As of right now, in the last year of my PhD, this is not possible. When I finish though, since my plans are to do consulting work from home I plan on revisiting the idea of going full time with my company. Then I would feel comfortable getting an actual business loan to jump into the Purifi market.

So around this time next year I should have an answer on Purifi.

amper42

Major Contributor
Full transparency:

The initial buy in cost to get the Purifi modules at a price point that would allow me to offer the same "under cutting" prices of my Hypex amps is very very high (nearly 5x the cost of my usual Hypex restocks).

To achieve this, I would have to make this business a full time thing. As of right now, in the last year of my PhD, this is not possible. When I finish though, since my plans are to do consulting work from home I plan on revisiting the idea of going full time with my company. Then I would feel comfortable getting an actual business loan to jump into the Purifi market.

So around this time next year I should have an answer on Purifi.

How many Purifi amp orders at $1000 each would you need to sell to accomplish the initial buy in at a price point that makes sense -- without a loan?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
How many Purifi amp orders at $1000 each would you need to sell to accomplish the initial buy in at a price point that makes sense -- without a loan?
In am actually planning on aiming for an $899 target for 2ch when I do it.

It would take nearly 100 orders. But then the issue becomes having time to reasonably fill 100 orders on type of the Hypex orders. Which means definitely full time work.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In am actually planning on aiming for an $899 target for 2ch when I do it.

It would take nearly 100 orders. But then the issue becomes having time to reasonably fill 100 orders on type of the Hypex orders. Which means definitely full time work.

Holy moly - I have a Purifi amp I'm happy with, but at $899 I'd probably get one from you too, just for the little build-quality/inner arrangement of components tweaks!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Better ask yourself if, ten years from now, you want to be using that PhD in a lab or where ever doing research and such, or building amps in your basement in a cutthroat market that changes picks every six or twelve months. Of course, maybe by then you'll be sitting back and managing the operation, with a bunch of new PhD students slaving away to make ends meet... :)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is always a friend, cousin or neighbor willing to work some hours and help you out.

amper42

Major Contributor
There is always a friend, cousin or neighbor willing to work some hours and help you out.

Yeah, ask Michael Dell how he got started.... You have already shown there's a good stream of customers knocking on your door for quality amps at reasonable prices. I would ride the wave as long as it lasts. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs never finished college as they found a niche. Later, every college wanted to give them an honorary degree. :D
Not saying you don't finish - but it's nice to have options.

Top Bottom