• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Even in the case of the Monoprice cables being wired incorrectly sometimes, whether it will cause an audible issue is a crap shoot.

For those who know they have a ground loop issue and are getting new cables, I would absolutely positively recommend getting a cable built to exact spec.

For those who have never had a ground loop issue and just want to try whatever cable might work, if you don’t hear a hum or loop issue, etc then the wiring with regards to grounding/pin 1 is not an issue.

Internally I wire the amps the absolute best/correct way so there is no second guessing from that respective. Past that whatever works for a customer works, obviously.

Golfx

Forum Donor

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Even in the case of the Monoprice cables being wired incorrectly sometimes, whether it will cause an audible issue is a crap shoot.

For those who know they have a ground loop issue and are getting new cables, I would absolutely positively recommend getting a cable built to exact spec.

For those who have never had a ground loop issue and just want to try whatever cable might work, if you don’t hear a hum or loop issue, etc then the wiring with regards to grounding/pin 1 is not an issue.

Internally I wire the amps the absolute best/correct way so there is no second guessing from that respective. Past that whatever works for a customer works, obviously.
This is spot on. Hype XLR inputs are properly designed, and won't suffer ill effects from XLR cables not wired per Hypex recommendation.

I guess I am coming from the point of view...why spend good (and or more) money on cables that can knowingly introduce hum on ill-designed devices, when I can just get a cable that solves the issue and is cheaper all at the same time? Or spend money at a cable firm that I have to tell how to build it properly (when they should know already)? That I can move from the Hypex to some old non-AES84 compliant device without future worry?

Anyways back to amps.....

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
And then throw in some companies use two different XLR pin outs for their own products (well, at least they used to last time I bought from them years ago).

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Pending my upgrade to an AVP which will require new cables, I chose to go with RCA to XLR adapters:

These have worked great on my DIY NC400s.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So getting ready to order up some Buckeye amps. Knowing the formerly recommended Monoprice RCA-XLR cables are not wired correctly (google "Hypex Pin 1 Legacy Pin Problem pdf"), the search began for a proper/cost effective cable (without having to resort to DIYing them).

I searched Amazon all morning, and their offerings either had no pinout diagram at all, or they are miswired to interconnect the chassis of both devices through shield AND to the audio signal (which in turn introduces the entirely unavoidable possibility of unnecessary hum/noise).

Luckily I stumbled upon these. They are wired correctly (meeting the Hypex white paper pinout), and priced reasonably (note shipping is an unknown at this time as I have not ordered yet, nor is it known if the actual cables are built to diagram spec):

Only one way to find out I guess....
Just fyi, I used the Monoprice premier series before. They included the wiring diagram on the website, and you can see that they are wired correctly, per Hypex.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Just fyi, I used the Monoprice premier series before. They included the wiring diagram on the website, and you can see that they are wired correctly, per Hypex.
The issue is not constant but it seems since the new year, some cables have come wired wrong upon checking. One customer had Monoprice RCA to XLR cables from last year and earlier wired correctly. But when he ordered new ones a few months ago, Pin 1 and the XLR body ground connector were soldered together for some reason.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Too bad the description of their RCA-XLR cable does not appear to be wired in a way that avoids all legacy pin 1 issues, and the cost is about double of Ghent's properly wired cable.
True about the cost, but they are using Van Damme cable stock and Neutrik XLR and RCA connectors, neither of which are cheap.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The issue is not constant but it seems since the new year, some cables have come wired wrong upon checking. One customer had Monoprice RCA to XLR cables from last year and earlier wired correctly. But when he ordered new ones a few months ago, Pin 1 and the XLR body ground connector were soldered together for some reason.

Thanks, that's new to me. I just checked their website and the diagram still seems to be the same as I had seen before:

47754.jpg

That seems consistent with Hypex's:

1692391202718.png

It refers to the application, that has the following:

1692391470448.png

Dundas

Forum Donor
It's the pin 1 connection to the grounding tab on the XLR plug that is the problem. Cut that bare wire inside the plug and it works fine with the Buckeye amps.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have used the Monoprice Premiere series rca to xlr cable as well as xlr to xlr cables. In both cases, the buckeye amp NC502MP works with no audible hiss or hum whatsoever, excellent workmanship.
My only minor complain was the upside down XLR connectors, I believe his new builds now have the right side up.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks, that's new to me. I just checked their website and the diagram still seems to be the same as I had seen before:

47754.jpg

That seems consistent with Hypex's:

View attachment 306577

It refers to the application, that has the following:

View attachment 306582
Oh yes. Their diagram is correct. But just an FYI I would always check them when buying now as people have found them improperly wired

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Maybe the 12yo Chinese kid assembling the cables smoked a bit too much opium that day. :facepalm:

rvsixer

Sorry coming into the middle of this newer discussion regarding the previously recommended Monoprice Premium RCA-XLR cable (of which some input I am not seeing due to ignored content):

The Monoprice premium cable diagram currently online clearly shows pin1 connected to case ground (which is NOT as per Hypex recommendation). If Hypex white paper is to believed, this won't cause issues with Hypex amp (unless somehow during implementation the case is inadvertently connected to audio path), but can cause issues with non-AES84 complaint hardware. So it's kind of weird this cable did/does create issues with Buckeye amps...since the rest of the pinout is fine?

Anyhow that is why I am just going to stick with the Hypex recommended interconnect configuration (which makes total sense if you read and understand the entire white paper), and hopefully avoid any issues at all (now or in the future with other equipment).

Jdunk54nl

Sorry coming into the middle of this newer discussion regarding the previously recommended Monoprice Premium RCA-XLR cable (of which some input I am not seeing due to ignored content):

The Monoprice premium cable diagram currently online clearly shows pin1 connected to case ground (which is NOT as per Hypex recommendation). If Hypex white paper is to believed, this won't cause issues with Hypex amp (unless somehow during implementation the case is inadvertently connected to audio path), but can cause issues with non-AES84 complaint hardware. So it's kind of weird this cable did/does create issues with Buckeye amps...since the rest of the pinout is fine?

Anyhow that is why I am just going to stick with the Hypex recommended interconnect configuration (which makes total sense if you read and understand the entire white paper), and hopefully avoid any issues at all (now or in the future with other equipment).

Pin 1 is connected to case ground in that diagram of hypex. You can see a little wire on the case side coming from pin 1 to the case.

Now the pin 1 being connected to the "4th" connection of the xlr (the metal casing) can be debated, but that just connects to case ground too....so shouldn't be an issue either.

Dundas

Forum Donor
Oh yes. Their diagram is correct. But just an FYI I would always check them when buying now as people have found them improperly wired
No, the diagram above represents what Monoprice are currently shipping with the connection between pin 1 and the grounding tab on the XLR plug. The older ones did not have the pin1 to grounding tab connection. Hypex's diagram does not show this connection.
The usual use case for professionals is XLR to RCA where, perhaps, this pin 1 to grounding tab connection is preferred. I don't believe they are necessarily improperly wired for their intended use but they may be "wrong" for RCA to XLR use with a Hypex amp. In any event they are very easy to fix for Buckeye Hypex amp use.

rvsixer

Pin 1 is connected to case ground in that diagram of hypex. You can see a little wire on the case side coming from pin 1 to the case.

Now the pin 1 being connected to the "4th" connection of the xlr (the metal casing) can be debated, but that just connects to case ground too....so shouldn't be an issue either.

Not all XLR equipment has its internal XLR connector(s) wired with this little pin 1 to chassis wire (aka AES84).

Getting back to interconnects...and also the "4th" connection; it appears not everyone is making it to section 4.5 of the white paper (which deals specifically with both RCA-XLR interconnects and internal RCA jack implementation)? I think the key is in there to understand why some are seeing issues with cables configured as such, and some not.

Last edited:

quattro98

Forum Donor
Any experience with the Markertec Sescom cables? I didn’t see a wiring diagram.

World’s Best also has an RCA/XLR.

https://a.co/d/cKngGRf

Top Bottom