• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 24.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 151 55.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 13.9%

• Total voters

Urvile

I also want to make sure no one mistakes me saying the problem is likely inaudible as me trying to say "this is not an issue"
I for one did not interpret your comment that way, to paraphrase you:
Oh damn we tested the best we could, both objectively and subjectively, and we missed something, and we are investigating a fix.

Even Amir said it's probably not audible. And in no way have I inferred, that you thought it was not an issue, nor that you won't address it.

Soupial

Dylan, do you know if the distortion issue is present in the 2 channel purifi amplifier as well?

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Dylan, do you know if the distortion issue is present in the 2 channel purifi amplifier as well?
Unfortunately yes. It has been confirmed in all three Purifi buffer boards. So the fix will encompass all customers.

It DOES NOT apply to the Hypex input boards, however (there will be an 8ch NC502MP Hypex going to Amir soon which will show the Hypex builds are fine, so no worries there).

AudioKC

It seems like Buckey Hypex 252MP is not affected by this raising distortion issue. Proud owner of one here, using almost every day for last 1.5 years. Excellent amp.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I think I could live with that rise in distortion, but could not live with such ugliness.

Kevinfc

So the nice thing about these amps (both the Hypex and Purifi) is that if a part fails, it can be field replaced very easily. So if a Purifi module failed, I'd send a new one out to the customer. Same with input board, LED board, SMPS, etc.

If it had to be returned to be fixed (say the customer doesn't want to or isn't comfortable opening it up) I would obviously cover shipping costs.
I’ve seen you around here often and you seem like a real stand-up guy. I’d have no qualms buying from you.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Looking at the industry wide open, I'd rather buy this amp vs almost all other amps made. Specifically in terms of the mass market this is superior to just about every option at BestBuy or Crutchfield or Music Direct. Even with the issues, which I'd wager will be fixed, this is a solid amp from a small US based business. While it is a bummer it can't yet be rated at an A+, I think that is tolerable.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This was not expected and was not an attempt to have a known/flawed product pushed through review.

While we did robust testing during development and prototyping, I cannot account for why this issue was not identified or observed early on. But I do take full responsibility.

As Amir briefly acknowledged, now that we are aware of and able to reproduce the issue on our end, we have been testing furiously to identify the exact cause so we can produce a fix.

Transparency and communication with the community has been one of the "pillars" I've tried to build my business upon. As soon as we identify the exact issue and the appropriate fix, it will be implemented ASAP, including for current customers as needed.
Awesome stuff. Not sure what more a customer should as for. Maybe I'll be switching to passive speakers soon

Mkaram

Any future plans to test the latest Hypex design?
I've already arranged with Dylan and Amir to test one of the new 8 channel 592 hypex amps.

Edit: I've also suggested to Amir a teardown of my amp, but I don't know whether his time will permit it. I think it would be excellent to see how feedback from the previous teardown was implemented (or not).

Last edited:

Anthony T

It’s interesting how you explain a case like this to “ring like a bell” or looks like a “banana.”

View attachment 252113
Note the differences between the thickness of the casework of the earlier and later chrome bumper cases…
37025619-3979-4F91-9FF7-44B8BEA786CC.jpeg

squared80

Anytime we've had an issue with a service or product, what bothers you more: the issue at hand, or how the company/individual handles said issue. I think for most, and certainly for me, it's the latter.

Yeah, stuff happens, and nobody is happy about it. In any business. But it's how they respond that can have the biggest impact on both the customer and the business itself. Looks like Dylan is on the right track with all this; we just need him to execute.

Looking forward to a timely fix, whatever that looks like.

DSJR

Major Contributor
It’s interesting how you explain a case like this to “ring like a bell” or looks like a “banana.”

View attachment 252113
Oh they did, believe me (I handled enough of the bloody things at the time). I doubt your pal JV ever let you put a straight edge on the top front of these cases let alone look along - the CB ones showed it more though as you'd expect? My gawd were we brainwashed back then...

DSJR

Major Contributor
Note the differences between the thickness of the casework of the earlier and later chrome bumper cases…View attachment 252165
That's the 'Bolt Up' era and these didn't have the issue. the bolt up NAP 250 sounded (and probably measured) like a good valve amp, all lucid and sweet. This changed totally with the new boards in the CB version where the 'sound' hardened up and had more of an 'edge' to it when pushed (I did a direct A-B at the Naim factory conducted by JV himself, the 135's and original Nait had a 'nicer' tone in comparison - such was the level of IMD in these which I'd put at borderline audible and worse than current product from them)

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Reactions: EdW

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Are these buffee boards your own design, or from a third party?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Note the differences between the thickness of the casework of the earlier and later chrome bumper cases…View attachment 252165
And the banana is where? Or what part of the power amp case is flimsy, or thin, or bended? Have you noticed the flush screw heads that was possible because the aluminium top cover was thick?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh they did, believe me (I handled enough of the bloody things at the time). I doubt your pal JV ever let you put a straight edge on the top front of these cases let alone look along - the CB ones showed it more though as you'd expect?
Maybe you can find a pixture of what you are telling us, on the Internet or from your archives, and show us what you are telling. I owned NAP250s and as you said had been in the NAIM factory many, many times wondering around as I wish as a friend of Julian. I have no recollection of a case issue as you describe.

My gawd were we brainwashed back then...
That the case was ringing and you didn't notice but now you woke up from that stupor and remembered the ringing???

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's the 'Bolt Up' era and these didn't have the issue. the bolt up NAP 250 sounded (and probably measured) like a good valve amp, all lucid and sweet. This changed totally with the new boards in the CB version where the 'sound' hardened up and had more of an 'edge' to it when pushed (I did a direct A-B at the Naim factory conducted by JV himself, the 135's and original Nait had a 'nicer' tone in comparison - such was the level of IMD in these which I'd put at borderline audible and worse than current product from them)
Oh dear, the banana case issue has escalated to distortion and the subjective sound quality.

Top Bottom