• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt A10 Active Speakers

YSC

Major Contributor
directivity and extension in a sealed box is amazing TBH, I would really want one personally (just to be clear, I owned a 8030+7040 2.1 and am very happy with that), but this plus the very good looking box and kind of exotic looking purifi driver makes me lust for one. It's expensive, but not out of reach expensive. the only thing holding me is the hard wood thing, it just don't make sense for that to be working well in long term... with the warranty I will definitely give it a shot if I am living in EU, but in Asia the shipping back and forth can be condamned (mainly in the time required, audiophile having a pair of speakers out there under repair for say, 1month back and forth is pretty painful)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mark Audio did a review too:

Not sure one can take any benefit from these kind of "reviews". As usual, it is full of buzzwords ("game changer") and superlatives from influencers that praise just about anything they test. Not very helpful, IMHO...

YSC

Major Contributor
for this my only concern personally is the real wood tight fit enclosure... not a small sum to swallow if wood size change takes out the cabinet seal in a few years

DearSX

I like the review for fun and excitement and to know if anything odd is happening .:) looking forward to getting mine! Too bad its delayed :(

I really like the real wood and hope it lasts at least 10 years!

Zaiden

Not sure one can take any benefit from these kind of "reviews". As usual, it is full of buzzwords ("game changer") and superlatives from influencers that praise just about anything they test. Not very helpful, IMHO...

Problem is there's nowhere to go and audition Buchardt speakers. So for these speakers, reading online and watching YouTube videos are the best way to get an idea of things.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So for these speakers, reading online and watching YouTube videos are the best way to get an idea of things.
How exactly subjectivist reviewers are "the best way" to get an idea of anything? They just aren't. Doesn't mean that the speakers are good or bad, and usually, Buchardt are good... ;)

Objective data will give you much more informations than any word salad from these reviewers.
Problem is there's nowhere to go and audition Buchardt speakers.
The best way is to listening at your home by taking advantage of the 45 days trial that Buchardt has. Pretty much what I did.

YSC

Major Contributor
Problem is there's nowhere to go and audition Buchardt speakers. So for these speakers, reading online and watching YouTube videos are the best way to get an idea of things.
I believe from their measurements they will be very good.

dublinthedog777

How exactly subjectivist reviewers are "the best way" to get an idea of anything? They just aren't. Doesn't mean that the speakers are good or bad, and usually, Buchardt are good... ;)

Objective data will give you much more informations than any word salad from these reviewers.

The best way is to listening at your home by taking advantage of the 45 days trial that Buchardt has. Pretty much what I did.
He says he is worried about the reliability of "audiophile active speakers" along with sound quality. Didn't you have to replace the amplification on the Buchardts.....twice?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't you have to replace the amplification on the Buchardts.....twice?
I did. Got issues with both my A500 and 500SE. The Platin Hub also gave me a serious headache (I still don't recommend it by today). Last amp module I replaced is 15 months old now. Hope it will last as long as possible... Clearly some batches of the Platin amp module were unreliable (the WISA card in particular).

KEF LS50 Wireless and LSX are also known for a pretty high failing rate.

Regarding the active Buchardt, they sound so good that I wouldn't consider other speakers anyway (or I would have to pay three times as much for something like D&D 8C or Kii Three, which I can't).

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
any gobs smacked? jaws dropped? anything literally used to wipe the floor by the device under test?
I mean, game changer would have me checking my buzzword bingo card for disruptive innovation, generative AI, and... well, you get the picture.
Bottom line: we can take this offline and circle back later. You can ping me.
:cool:

Qba3d

It is my first day with a10… and it is a significant displacement from my previous Buchard speaker experience… a10 sound like my focal clear headphones and I am in total shock to be honest. Listening from Roon. It is a first day so far.

They are way lighter clearer and brighter that 400 mk2

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Not really, you use measurements of the Buchardt speakers and the measurements of speakers you already know. That way you can identify things you like or dislike in loudspeakers.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Not really, you use measurements of the Buchardt speakers and the measurements of speakers you already know. That way you can identify things you like or dislike in loudspeakers.
Sometimes is not so easy or romantic as to see if you like them.For example I have to listen as I have a condition (?) that some speakers cause me a round headache almost instantly.
Is not about brands,type,price,some do and some don't.

I have it narrowed somehow to know that elevated 1-5Khz area can be the cause sometimes but I have got the same with weak-thin mid-bass which seem perfectly fine on measurements.
Just an example.

YSC

Major Contributor
It is my first day with a10… and it is a significant displacement from my previous Buchard speaker experience… a10 sound like my focal clear headphones and I am in total shock to be honest. Listening from Roon. It is a first day so far.

They are way lighter clearer and brighter that 400 mk2
If considering the S400 is pretty neutral that doesn’t sound too positive as an impression

Qba3d

To my ears in my room and with my amps s400 mk2 was rolled off at the top end.

A10 is way more detailed across the board with bass that is insanely detailed and a bit more forward presentation. Will let them play for few days and try other tunings
If considering the S400 is pretty neutral that doesn’t sound too positive as an impression

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone heard, are they intending to bring a cardioid master tuning to the A10? I don't see one as of yet

Penelinfi

A10 is way more detailed across the board with bass that is insanely detailed and a bit more forward presentation. Will let them play for few days and try other tunings
Perhaps the dispersion is better in the new tweeter?

YSC

Major Contributor

Would be interesting to see the old vs new in room measurements for such impressions, always curious on what I hear vs the data and re visit that after a few days to see how much psychoacoustic have been playing a role, I myself more often than not “hear some dramatic difference” once new gear placing in old spot, but usually after a while and re try side by side shows minimal differences compared to what I thought it was

Qba3d

Here I would say it’s a massive difference. Not sure it will be to everyone taste but it’s a more detailed presentation with incredible sub base but I do miss a bit of warmth in the mids. They’re still warming up though and EQ/Matertunings are available.

Top Bottom