• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bowers & Wilkins 607 S2 Anniversary Edition Review

windwolf447

"BBC dip" ? And then the treble shelving for the "senior citizens", maybe.

It could be the "BBC dip". a few of the engineers I know in this industry support this theory. While some suggest this should only apply to nearfield listening conditions.

Later on, I listened to some recent B&W models and I don't like them personally.

Last edited:

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think such successful company makes these design choices 100% intentionally.
According to their UM, these speakers need to be used free-standing on dedicated stands.
So, all the reason I can imagine is that their target audience are primarily old (asian) consumers with HF hearing loss, off-axis LP and low SPL.
Distortion of drivers themselves is very nice, so it's not just engineering fault, sensitivity is what one'd expect from 5" woofer, low order crossover with mid-highs' dip is "acceptable solution" if it will not induce screaming distortion at normal levels. Also, it's cheaper due to low components count.
So, i'd say this is just small overpriced satellite, good for HT duties. On-wall gain will remove some strain from woofer and room correction will equalise anything higher...

beagleman

Major Contributor
"BBC dip" ? And then the treble shelving for the "senior citizens", maybe. For the aged B&W fan with an oldschool "linear - analog" amp, this may be the right sales formula.

Some in this forum will say, that listeners hearing does not factor in, but over the last 10 years or so I have noticed my high frequency hearing decline some. And that is using the same pair of speakers, that initially were VERY hot treble wise, now only seem somewhat elevated in the treble.

Maybe part is getting used to the sound, but in my brain I feel they sound a bit different after 10 years.

respice finem

Major Contributor
...So, i'd say this is just small overpriced satellite, good for HT duties. On-wall gain will remove some strain from woofer and room correction will equalise anything higher...
Yes, but then, you might buy many other speakers not inferior for this task, and 30-50% cheaper.

respice finem

Major Contributor
...Maybe part is getting used to the sound, but in my brain I feel they sound a bit different after 10 years.
While treble hearing is declining for everyone with age, I doubt anyone has an "audio memory" that long. Last time I've heard my B&Ws losing treble, they were indeed - due to the dreaded ferrofluid issue, resulting in a new pair of tweeters. And here comes the good part for B&W - I got a new pair of tweeters, for speakers from 1997.

respice finem

Major Contributor
the sold a million? that's only 500.000 pair.That's not that much or am i wrong?
What's your source? Somehow I can't find this info on the Net. Maybe it's in one year? Unless I'm living in a bubble, everybody and his poodle has their speakers :D

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's not that much or am i wrong?
You can approximate their market share. I'd say it's a lot. Few percent maybe.
Speakers are long-term use goods, mostly one set per family, and B&W are more or less premium price range.

windwolf447

Also, you could notice that they put the tweeter more forward than the mid-woofer, traditionally if you do off-set drivers for time alignment one would move the tweeter backward, not forward. I thought it's just for an aesthetic reason (covering mid-woofer frame/screws), but they said this has some sort of sonic benefit. Again, a puzzling system design theory to me.

uwotm8

Such blasphemy! Surely the audiophile gods will soon send a bolt of lightning to prevent the...
View attachment 119419
While I totally agree that B&W sound is disgusting, the "sacred cow killing" meta feels same disgusting to me.
As already mentioned, in early 2000s 600 series had realtively flat FR (while I still didn't like it).
And also there's a mention that B&W desing such speakers purposefully to produce special in-house sound.
It's pretty naive to believe in engineering fault; I think it's a gently crafted "showroom star" as Amir called it :)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aww sh*t! I'm typing this on an iMac with my iPhone and iPad close by, I have a 1 series BMW and B&W floor standers :facepalm: I haven't succumbed to an Apple watch though as I like my mechanicals :)

Ha! I have and use all three(Windows, MAC, Linux). Couple windows machines(1 for roon core, 1 for gaming), macbook pro for general websurfing, netflix, and general software development, linux for more niche development and IT stuff. I try to be nice to everyone :).

Last edited:

welsh

They look really similar to the klipsch 600m reviewed. I had the displeasure to demo them at a best buy and i gotta say. If someone offers me these for free i probably would just say no out of the kindness to my ears. 700 for this? Seriously a pair of Revel M16 can be had for around that price after negotiating with your dealer. This is absolutely crazy.
My Revel M16s are the first speakers I have ever owned that don’t make me worried about my speakers! I just listen to the music now.

Top Bottom