• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Big news coming from Sound United in 2023!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is a false statement. It obviously doesn't control 100% of the bass management

You can’t have it both ways. My statement was clearly true as written by your above admission.

Unless the software keeps each channel together (I.e. the target curve for each channel encompasses the whole channel, not just a limited bandwidth of it with the rest of it stuck elsewhere.

BTW one could add highpass and low pass filters to channel curve components as early as Dirac 1.

That's nice, but I hate to tell you, without any experience with MQX, much less extensive experience with it, those reviews are largely now obsolete for any high end user of Audyssey.

They remain accurate to the core functionality, which hasn’t changed. To the extent they were obsoleted, it was by the iOS app that allow one to use the core good parts of Audyssey and ditch the terrible default target curves.

While it's still not as easy as I'd like (I wish they'd allow the import of a frequency response curve) creating the target curve is dramatically easier and more accurate than the app.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but MultEQ X doesn’t even allow you to shape the target curve directly. You have to use the dumbass abstraction of faux PEQ bands. Therefore, it’s actually a step backwards from the $20 iOS app, which admittedly does need a “copy curve” button.

Speaking of PEQ's, people were rightly excited when the HTP-1 came out and allowed 16 PEQs along with Dirac.

For different reasons though. The utility of PEQ on HTP-1 (along with Storm, Datasat, etc) is to “precondition” prior to running room correction. One use case is in place of a separate DSP for assisted speakers. Another use case is to take down a a big peak that’s throwing off level/volume calibration before EQ.

Note that I’m writing about actual utility, not what excites people on the internet.

32 possible mic positions. This provides a substantially better spatial average which will result in better and more repeatable corrections.

Does it? Per the Geddes and Blind AES paper 5 points generally suffice. If you want to take 32 different measurements of 15 different speakers for one calibration good for you I guess.

I don’t have time or inclination to address the rest point by point. Someone may find them useful and even worth the bizzaroworld consumer-hating license terms. Every product likely finds some fans. However, to me the story of MultEQ X is one of obvious omissions, far too little too late functionality, with unacceptable license terms being the nail in the coffin.

Newman

Major Contributor
Shootouts are fun get-togethers, but often that's about it. I was unable to find any info on test procedures on the above site. If one wants to use such a shootout as any sort of evidence, actual procedures must be fully documented and available. Getting the most out of Audyssey requires some knowledge (which is a legit criticism of it). Without detailed descriptions of how it was set up, such anecdotal results are no more meaningful than dlaloum's above. Useless.
I remember a shootout some time ago where Audy came in well behind Dirac, but IIRC these shootouts tend to be running each RC on Full Auto, Full Range. As Toole has explained in some detail, that’s a sure-fire way to end up with mid-fi at best, no matter which product we discuss, and talking about relative ‘pop’ to the sound etc is only of interest to those who are not interested enough in really great sound to move beyond Full Auto, Full Range.

And anyone who thinks that ‘tuning’ the target curve to map the sound power of the speakers is ideal, has lost the plot.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
You can’t have it both ways. My statement was clearly true as written by your above admission.

Unless the software keeps each channel together (I.e. the target curve for each channel encompasses the whole channel, not just a limited bandwidth of it with the rest of it stuck elsewhere.

BTW one could add highpass and low pass filters to channel curve components as early as Dirac 1.

They remain accurate to the core functionality, which hasn’t changed. To the extent they were obsoleted, it was by the iOS app that allow one to use the core good parts of Audyssey and ditch the terrible default target curves.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but MultEQ X doesn’t even allow you to shape the target curve directly. You have to use the dumbass abstraction of faux PEQ bands. Therefore, it’s actually a step backwards from the $20 iOS app, which admittedly does need a “copy curve” button.

For different reasons though. The utility of PEQ on HTP-1 (along with Storm, Datasat, etc) is to “precondition” prior to running room correction. One use case is in place of a separate DSP for assisted speakers. Another use case is to take down a a big peak that’s throwing off level/volume calibration before EQ.

Note that I’m writing about actual utility, not what excites people on the internet.

Does it? Per the Geddes and Blind AES paper 5 points generally suffice. If you want to take 32 different measurements of 15 different speakers for one calibration good for you I guess.

I don’t have time or inclination to address the rest point by point. Someone may find them useful and even worth the bizzaroworld consumer-hating license terms. Every product likely finds some fans. However, to me the story of MultEQ X is one of obvious omissions, far too little too late functionality, with unacceptable license terms being the nail in the coffin.
Correct.

Just to add info for MultiEQX. Yes it has that indirect (dumbass) target curve editor but since about two months approximately allows to import filters generated by REW.

Daniel0

Correct.

Just to add info for MultiEQX. Yes it has that indirect (dumbass) target curve editor but since about two months approximately allows to import filters generated by REW.
Can you take a screenshot of this feature?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That, and what little Audyssey does for two subs can be done manually in just a few minutes, with REW and the Audyssey mic if you don’t have a different one.
Oh sure. All those thousands of owners need to get REW and learn it's steep operation curve :facepalm:
Your just plain wrong. The Audyssey method of tuning dual subs may not be perfect, specially in your "not so" humble opinion, but does work very well all by it self. It sounds excellent to me and post measurements with REW look fine.
Maybe, maybe not. It depends. I agree that someone who doesn’t measure will likely imagine an improvement whether or not one exists just because the product says it will.
Nice strawman there.
Jay, your totally over the top Dirac fanboy approach here is getting to the point of being sic. (past it IMHO)
As a reviewer for hometheaterhifi I would expect a more balanced approach but maybe that's part of the problem? No matter what D-M/Audyssey does with the software you always find ways to call it schitt next to your beloved Dirac. I'm honestly beginning to question your objectivity. :mad:
Audyssey is an excellent piece of semi-automated DRC software, not the worlds best but then neither is Dirac, there are much better approaches if you chose to go down those hands-on manual modes. Or call my friend Mitch at Accurate Sound for something really excellent.

In closing this post I would like to remind our members and guests what Amir's opinion on Audyssey using the $20 Editor app was a little over 2 years ago. The bolding is his, not mine.
"Anyway, I told it to upload the data to the AVR which took a bit. Once there, the results were superb! The sound out of my system was now reference quality, pinning me down to my seat listening to track after track from my "audiophile" playlist. Room modes were gone and the deep, floor shaking bass that I expect from my Salon 2 speakers were back with the new target curve. Detail was to die for. Bass was clean. On and on."

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Jhaider has mentioned the license part and I think that is a fair point. Restrictions aside, it is cheaper than DLBC multisub. However, how does a DLBC multisub license work? Per AVR? Per user (and thus, on several devices)? By month?

Last edited:
Jhaider has mentioned the license part and I think that is a fair point. Restrictions aside, it is cheaper than DLBC multisub. However, how does a DLBC multisub license work? Per AVR? Per user (and thus, on several devices)? By month?
It is a one time payment and it is per AVR

Jon AA

Forum Donor
No, you need a math lesson. <100%≠0%. Your statement was 0%. That is false.

The end result is the same after a level adjustment. Yes, it annoys me they set the levels based on a frequencies other than the crossover frequency. This has been known ever since the app came out and the various guides and tip sheets (many using my contributions) point out that if a bass boost is used for the sub, the level needs to be increased after calibration.

GenericTarget.png

For a target curve using a 5 dB bass boost--the same curve (at least at low frequencies) for sub and main channels should be used--you need to increase the trim on the sub 5 dB afterward. Any high end user of the app has known this for years. Afterward, the end result is no different than doing the whole channel as you describe.

Again, if you had actually ever used it, you'd know how laughable the "step backward" from the app is. You can make a target in REW in about 10 minutes. Here's a generic 5 dB target that uses 5 PEQs:

Generic 5 dB Target.jpg

Once you have that done, you can import it and apply it to all the speakers you want to use it for in about 10 seconds. Changing the level of boost on the bottom end requires only adjusting the value of one of the PEQs.

For different reasons though. The utility of PEQ on HTP-1 (along with Storm, Datasat, etc) is to “precondition” prior to running room correction. One use case is in place of a separate DSP for assisted speakers.
I agree that's a fantastically useful feature. But it's a feature of the HTP-1--not Dirac. There are a lot of processors out there with Dirac that don't have it. You can get to the same end results with Audyssey (even on a machine with no PEQs), but it is more work.

Another use case is to take down a a big peak that’s throwing off level/volume calibration before EQ.
Not an issue with Audyssey. It sets the levels based upon the predicted response after correction.

The snark isn't helping your case. The idea that adding PEQs after calibration has no actual utility is quite laughable. This capability of MQX even allow the user not to bother with making a target curve at all. People very comfortable with REW may prefer to do all their corrections in REW with their preferred mic and simply import them into MQX. Just a few short years ago, the idea of a generic EQ system that gives you an infinite number of PEQs on 16 channels for $200 would have been considered fantasy.

Well, ask all those people with Auydssey or Dirac who do multiple calibrations and get different answers each time. There are plenty of comparisons in the various MMM and spatial average threads. In my experience, MMM is by far the most consistent and repeatable way to do it for anybody who doesn't have permanent mic fixtures all around his listening chair. MQX gets much closer to this than the 8 measurement of the app.

If you want to take 32 different measurements of 15 different speakers for one calibration good for you I guess.
Even I don't do all 32. You don't have to, but the capability to do so is a feature that can't be dismissed. I do about 28. The measuring procedure for MQX is much better than the app (you'd know that if you had tried it) so it's not bad at all. Especially when you refer to my earlier point--for most of your speakers you're only going to do that once. Make a change to a speaker and you can remeasure that speaker only. That goes really fast.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, you need a math lesson. <100%≠0%. Your statement was 0%. That is false.

The end result is the same after a level adjustment. Yes, it annoys me they set the levels based on a frequencies other than the crossover frequency. This has been known ever since the app came out and the various guides and tip sheets (many using my contributions) point out that if a bass boost is used for the sub, the level needs to be increased after calibration.

View attachment 230430

For a target curve using a 5 dB bass boost--the same curve (at least at low frequencies) for sub and main channels should be used--you need to increase the trim on the sub 5 dB afterward. Any high end user of the app has known this for years. Afterward, the end result is no different than doing the whole channel as you describe.

Hello Jon, I am sure you know according to Audyssey MultEQ X (I don't have it but have watched the video a couple times) doesn't technically do PEQ but it would use the information from the "PEQ" imported and then implement the FIR filters. The effects may be very similar, or better than the real PEQ that is IIR type, or may be practically a moot point. I thought I should mention it, so you can correct me if I misunderstood something..

Last edited:

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Yes, that's correct. I thought it everybody knew that so I didn't specifically mention it. ;)

Daniel0

For a target curve using a 5 dB bass boost--the same curve (at least at low frequencies) for sub and main channels should be used--you need to increase the trim on the sub 5 dB afterward. Any high end user of the app has known this for years.
Can you explain this part?
I don't understand the pictures either.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Midrange Compensation is not the BBC dip nor is it a debacle - it's still recommended for many speakers that have a dip in that range to prevent the EQ from boosting it when there's a directivity mismatch. The fact that Dirac pays no attention to this makes it flawed.
The BBC dip... not to be confused with the Bunny Dip.

Bunny-Dip.gif

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some major TLDR; going on here but I will say Audyssey still has nothing competitive with DLBC, apps or not. It just doesn't.

The PC app allowing PEQ entry would theoretically allow you to use MSO at least, but IIRC there is a hardware limitation that prevents different PEQs from applying to different subs. I am hopeful the new models won't have these limitations, even if they don't include DLBC, 4 sub channels with independent PEQs would still make a good solution.

I'm honestly not sure which is better between MSO and DLBC, as to my knowledge an in-depth comparison has never been done, but in theory at least DLBC's ability to independently optimize every speaker's crossover does put it ahead. It's not really practical to do that with MSO/REW unless you want to run every channel you have through miniDSPs, which is a cable mess and not exactly cheap either.

But in any case just MSO with no miniDSPs in the middle would be plenty good enough for >90% of setups I think.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But in any case just MSO with no miniDSPs in the middle would be plenty good enough for >90% of setups I think.
Agreed. But I wonder at what point it all becomes too complicated for Joe Sixpack to wrap his head around?
IMO I think we may need to go back to the drawing board and put together something a bit more point and shoot.
We here as enthusiasts get all caught up in the smallest of details that may not make a bit of audible difference
for the Best Buy customer?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The BBC dip... not to be confused with the Bunny Dip.
Oh my, she's much too chubby/heavy to be a Playboy Bunny
UK standards must be slippin. LOL
Damn, If only I had known I could have waited a few weeks and got a significant "end of model year" discount on the 4700H model I just purchased. :eek:

TheAVInsider

Oh my, she's much too chubby/heavy to be a Playboy Bunny
UK standards must be slippin. LOL

Damn, If only I had known I could have waited a few weeks and got a significant "end of model year" discount on the 4700H model I just purchased. :eek:
Yeah. No.
Sal,
I doubt anyone is finding discounts, let alone substantial stock quantity in the coming weeks, months, etc.
I'm sorry you didn't get the message sooner. The one I sent out almost 2 weeks ago now.
Congratulations on your recent purchase. I'll be looking forward to your reports.
Best wishes.

Last edited:

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
Yeah. No.

Doubt anyone is finding discounts, let alone substantial stock quantity in the coming weeks, months, etc.
I'm sorry you didn't get the message sooner. The one I sent out almost 2 weeks ago now.
Congratulations on your recent purchase. I'll be looking forward to your reports.
Best wishes.
Seems like we're going to see a big price increase in the Denon product line. I have found Audessy to be manageable for room correction after doing a lot of learning. I think Denon is a well made mid level consumer avr and worth the money. I tried some of the new Pioneer/Onkyo products and the Dirac sounds a bit clearer in my room but the Pioneer avrs are very cheaply made and I returned them. For an average user I feel like investing in a Denon product that allows you to upgrade to Dirac is probably worthwhile but not a bargain anymore. The Denon amp I am running is 4400 and it seems very cheap to me now. I hope it lasts. I think my next upgrade is going to be my analog capacity.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Seems like we're going to see a big price increase in the Denon product line. I have found Audessy to be manageable for room correction after doing a lot of learning. I think Denon is a well made mid level consumer avr and worth the money. I tried some of the new Pioneer/Onkyo products and the Dirac sounds a bit clearer in my room but the Pioneer avrs are very cheaply made and I returned them. For an average user I feel like investing in a Denon product that allows you to upgrade to Dirac is probably worthwhile but not a bargain anymore. The Denon amp I am running is 4400 and it seems very cheap to me now. I hope it lasts. I think my next upgrade is going to be my analog capacity.
The last couple of Onkyo / Integra AVR's I owned (prior to the current one), were flagship models... they were very well built, and had heaps of power (and even current) - sadly, their HDMI and DSP circuits tended to overheat and die prematurely.

I currently have the much more basic, mid market Integra DRX 3.4 - this looks decent, is lightweight, and has mass market construction quality... no complaints, but it is not the same as the flagship models.

Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer have yet to release the flagship models, the RZ70/RZ90, LX705/905, etc... Typically the market positioning of Onkyo's models has been a touch below Denon (and price has matched that placement) - similarly the Flagships were a notch below the Denon Flagship models - but traditionally performance has been on a par, and build quality has been good.

The SU and Onkyo stables were both on my short list - I chose the Integra, because it meets my needs (channels, pre-outs, RoomEQ) and was circa 30% cheaper than the nearest House of SU equivalent (X3700).

The market maneuvering will be interesting.

If SU raise their prices 20 to 30% - and Onkyo stays were they currently are, Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer may well capture a sizeable market segment.

Top Bottom