• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BEST Tablet Size for Tidal Interface (used at listening chair)

PortableMusic

Dear All:

i'm a long time audiophile who just got a new system and a dedicated listening chair.

as such, i'd like to use a larger interface than my phone to be used exclusively at my listening chair and exclusively with Tidal. i don't stream from any other music streaming service.

i don't have any Apple devices so i'd like to limit this tablet search to Android-based tablets, please.

Samsung is coming out with their latest high end tablet, the Tab 9/9+/9 Ultra, at 11"/12.4"/14.6".

i realize that screen real estate is one thing, but ergonomics and comfort/ease of holding the tablet is a key parameter as well. i visited the local Apple store (for convenience) and tried out their 11" and 12.9" tablets. while 12.4" isn't exactly the same as 12.9", they are sufficiently similar, i thought, to make this exercise productive. the 12.4" feels a bit unwieldy to hold and handle, especially over a period of time.

this visit kind of made me conclude that 11" might be a good sweet spot, while the 12.4"is a bit too heavy/large/unwieldy.

again, this is mostly for the Tidal interface use at my listening chair position only. sure, such a high end tablet might well turn out to be handy to bring around the home with as well - we shall see. but my main use is aimed for the BEST Tidal interface on a tablet and what tablet size is ideal for Tidal's interface please.

any experienced comments would be most welcome.

thank you gentlemen for your thoughtful help.

HoweSound

I'm interested in your question, having been on a similar quest. I bought an Eversolo DMP A6, which is an Android based streamer/server/dac. I've been using my android phone as a remote - a heavy lump of a waterproof phone. It works, to change settings, play files and stream music from Qobuz, but I wanted something bigger, lighter and cheap. I bought a Lenovo M8 tablet for $99 cdn. It's thinner and lighter than my phone; it does the job as well as the android phone and I would not want anything bigger than 8". I see some inexpensive Samsung tablets in the same size and price range at Bestbuy.

Last edited:
OP
PortableMusic

PortableMusic

anyone with additional comments please?

@HoweSound: thank you for your reply. i private messaged you. thanks.

ChrisG

I use iPads for mixing live shows, and when it comes to having one in your hand for any length of time (in my case, walking around the venue and making adjustments), I find the iPad Mini to be the right size. They haven't changed much over the years, apart from the 6th gen which added USB-C, and lost the Home button and headphones socket.

Chris

Graham849

Forum Donor
IPad mini, samsung or lenovo 7" or 8" for factors would be my recommendation.

I use a Lenovo 8" as a jriver remote.

CapMan

Major Contributor
i'm a long time audiophile who just got a new system and a dedicated listening chair.
Like this one ?

IMG_4462.jpeg

Top Bottom