• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best sub-$100 4-inch car speakers for arcade cabinet (amp recommendation also requested)

Nathan Raymond

So while the Dayton Audio GS2.1 subwoofer could be convenient with it's built-in stereo amplifier, it was really short on specifications, and the small driver size I'm sure places limits on how much "sub" there is in the subwoofer. It has a fixed crossover that sends everything above 150Hz to stereo speakers hooked up to it, which isn't very flexible. A better bet for about the same money I think would be this Monoprice SSW-8 slim subwoofer:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33829

For me, having to use a separate amp for the left and right speakers is a good thing since I can use whatever I want for that. I'm planning on having a dedicated headphone amplifier in the cabinet and run the output of that to some headphone jacks and a potentiometer, and I found and ordered something mounted to a nice metal plate that should be able to get fixed to a cabinet pretty easily. I'll also want to control speaker volume, so I'll need another pot but from what I've read with the rigtht Forstner bit I should be able to mount that to the cabinet pretty easily. Anyone have any recommendations on pots?

Reading up on bass shakers, they are best when you limit them to 5-50Hz, since those are the frequencies that would typically be tactile, above that can feel unnatural. I don't know how many games have significant sound in the 5-50Hz region, so I think I'll leave the tactile transducers as a potential future project.

Another related question - when mounting 4" stereo drivers directly to MDF cabinets, does having just slats cut in the MDF for letting the sound through negatively impact the sound a lot or a little? And if direct mounting to MDF, do I need to watch out for the x-max on the driver in case at loud volumes full excursion could mean the cone hitting the MDF? Is it safer to just put some spacers between the MDF and the driver?

Top Bottom