• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Mixing" ported monitors with sealed subs...Pros/Cons...??...

Synergist

To Whom it May Interest:

Primarily an audiophile here...

I have a pair of "Rythmik Audio" "G22" subwoofers...(Dual, opposed/bipolar, Servo-monitored/controlled, 12" drivers, sealed cabinet design...)...(From MY experience, the "quickest", most "musical" pair of subwoofers I have ever possessed/enjoyed). I am currently mating them with a pair of "Audience Audio", "ClairAudient 1 + 1, V3" monitors...(passive, dual, opposed/bipolar, full range 3.?" drivers, with side firing, 4" passive radiators, P.R. cabinet design), (1+ 1's subjectively VERY fast and reasoably "spacious" in a relatively small room), crossed over at approx. 80Hz. 24 dB./oct. ...(and yes, I realize that currently my subs are overkill for my monitors...lol...)

I plan on moving my stereo system into a signficianly larger room, and am considering active monitors to mate with the pair of "G22's"... I am considering a pair of either the Genelec 8341's, OR a pair of the Genelec 8351's...

Other than the decision regarding WHICH Genelec(?) to potentially select/meet my wants/needs...Noting that these "Genelec" active monitors are ported, (as are most active monitors that I have researched thus far), I am wondering if I "should" select a sealed monitor to "better" mate with my sealed cabinet design subwoofers...?...(I realize that my current 1+1's are essentially a "ported" cabinet design without the potential for portnoise...)...Or, depending on how high I crossover the monitors with the subwoofers, it genuinely does not matter, (inaudible differences thereof...?...).

I have read elsewhere that regardless of where a ported cabinet/speaker is crossed over, (how far above the port tuning...), the woofer's are going to "behave" as "ported"...

So, should I match cabinet designs, (i.e. sealed), or, if crossed over high enough, would a "G22"-"Genelec" pairing be a perfect marriage...??...and IF the "Genelec" is the best choice, which one might pair best with the "G22"'s...

Thank you in advance for your responses, (advice/suggestions/recommendations).

Sincerely,
T.A.K.

Top Bottom