• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speakers for high end 7-car garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Somehow this miraculous product has been completely missed by everyone on the planet when it comes to home audio except some people on ASR. That does not pass the smell test.

Since I brought up Meyer Sound — you’re right they aren’t intended for home audio. I am biased since I bought them for recreational use. I’m just a hobbyist like you. But just because the regular audio magazines don’t mention them, doesn’t mean they are fly by night operation.

If you want clean and high SPLs, and you like having made in the USA, Meyer Sound has to be on your short list. Sidney Harman and Dan Agostino are no longer with Harman or Krell. The Meyer family still runs Meyer Sound.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Please keep this thread alive

giphy.gif

jeffme

Forum Donor
If this is a car showcase, why have any freestanding speakers cluttering the floorplan.

Maybe some nice in-ceiling speakers, like these: Ashby. ; )

CHenry

I want some advice for two or four speakers mounted off the walls on mounts I will have custom made for my garage. I assume I need four if you think a pair will work better yet. The garage is and odd shape so I am thinking (4) Revel 126be's and maybe two small subs but really do not want anything on the floor since I want to use my blowers and even power washer to keep is super clean.
While it seems your "garage" will actually be used as such, and not mainly a showroom, with you taking your cars in and out, and performing at least some maintenance on them there (you mention washing them there with a power washer) and having a urea or epoxy floor coating, I have to think you would be better off with an all-weather outdoor sound system, whatever brand of speakers you choose. Water spraying will certainly raise the humidity if not expose your speakers to outright wetting.

Last edited:

quattro98

Forum Donor
Have you considered the new in-walls from Revel? I’d just mount 3 pair flanking each TV. There’s no need for Krell amps and that can keep it cost effective.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Forget the speakers, just rev the 458.

CHenry

Revel's XC environmental speakers might work for you. Based on your floorplan, it looks as if you have a 2500sf or larger space and irregularly-spaced. 2-channel listening is for all practical purposes not an option, unless you have plans for a lounge area where it may be possible. This space is really requiring a PA-type plan, and in-ceiling speakers might be your better choice, assuming the ceilings are capable of accepting those. If you expect to be able to listen in background while working in or near your various parking bays, the distances really are mid-field and more likely far-field from any available walls for in-wall or on-wall siting.

OP
T

Terry Stahly

Two pair of Revel 126Be will sound fine, I do not know where everyone came up with the idea I want high SPL's because I don't, I do not wash cars, or work on cars in my garage either. It is a very nice place to have my cars and motorcycles with 35' of custom Vault cabinets and a place to have a F1, Indy, Nascar or MotoGP race on the TV's when I am tinkering around and to show off my home and vehicles. A big part of owning classic and exotic automobiles is seeing/looking at them and driving them while not having them in an off site garage someplace. I can wipe them down so they look their best when I drive them or see them in my garage. The listening is more background music same with the TV's I do not even need speakers with the clarity and soundstage of the 126be's but happen to like them. They sound excellent in our patio pool area and will sound as good probably better in an enclosed room. I should have known better to post something like this which just brings out smartarse's who don't have a pot to piss in who have nothing better to do that play games and make fun of people who have worked hard and smart enough to enjoy things that they want. I am not setting out to build the perfect or near perfect garage just a very nice one that I am proud of that goes well with the rest of our wonderful home. This garage might not be in my top ten concerns as I have many other interests, activities, properties as well as travel and running my companies. I like the Revels because they are fairly small, wall mounted and come in white which I want for the decor and they sound excellent, not perfect but plenty good enough and nicer than 99% of the speakers in most garages. I find it funny as usual with forums that there are plenty of critics who while they do not have or cannot afford the products they read about and think they have become experts on from reading or reading graphs who are keyboard assassins when anyone actually does do something rather than talk about hypotheticals. Good day all, continue to run your mouths about nothing if that's what floats your boat. I think out of three full pages of bs about three people actually said something constructive which is about par today for forums. I have better things to do I thought I would revisit this thread to see some of the clowns especially the ones with over a thousand messages who clearly have nothing better to do than play with their screens and spew more dribble. If my life ever boiled down to posting a thousand or two thousand or more comments I hope someone would take me out back and put me down like a lame horse.

CHenry

TStahly: you posted here claiming you wanted some ideas on how you could equip your oversize garage for sound. You posted a list of some of the things you expected to do in your garage, including mechanical service and power washing. When some posters ribbed you about the excess, you became humorless and defensive. You did get some constructive and thoughtful advice, which you then disparaged as being excessive, which honestly is risible given your posting of the floor plan with the conspicuously labeled car bays indicating your collection. An $8k professional monitor might not be what you want, and no one said you had to buy that, but to call that advice inappropriate when the people who are giving it make their business installing that kind of equipment in clubs and other public venues with similar space and requirements suggests you are not really being honest about your reasons for posting. If you like your Revel speakers and already have them for this installation, and have used them to your satisfaction, why do you ask what other options there might be and then defensively disparage those suggestions? You seem to be at once seeking validation (why?) and then looking to make straw man and ad hominem arguments when you hear something contrary to your expectations. This strange thread appeared to die a somewhat natural death on October 3, but you are not content without playing the internet resurrectionist, wanting that last word with a corpse.

MAB

Major Contributor
Two pair of Revel 126Be will sound fine, I do not know where everyone came up with the idea I want high SPL's because I don't, I do not wash cars, or work on cars in my garage either. It is a very nice place to have my cars and motorcycles with 35' of custom Vault cabinets and a place to have a F1, Indy, Nascar or MotoGP race on the TV's when I am tinkering around and to show off my home and vehicles. A big part of owning classic and exotic automobiles is seeing/looking at them and driving them while not having them in an off site garage someplace. I can wipe them down so they look their best when I drive them or see them in my garage. The listening is more background music same with the TV's I do not even need speakers with the clarity and soundstage of the 126be's but happen to like them. They sound excellent in our patio pool area and will sound as good probably better in an enclosed room. I should have known better to post something like this which just brings out smartarse's who don't have a pot to piss in who have nothing better to do that play games and make fun of people who have worked hard and smart enough to enjoy things that they want. I am not setting out to build the perfect or near perfect garage just a very nice one that I am proud of that goes well with the rest of our wonderful home. This garage might not be in my top ten concerns as I have many other interests, activities, properties as well as travel and running my companies. I like the Revels because they are fairly small, wall mounted and come in white which I want for the decor and they sound excellent, not perfect but plenty good enough and nicer than 99% of the speakers in most garages. I find it funny as usual with forums that there are plenty of critics who while they do not have or cannot afford the products they read about and think they have become experts on from reading or reading graphs who are keyboard assassins when anyone actually does do something rather than talk about hypotheticals. Good day all, continue to run your mouths about nothing if that's what floats your boat. I think out of three full pages of bs about three people actually said something constructive which is about par today for forums. I have better things to do I thought I would revisit this thread to see some of the clowns especially the ones with over a thousand messages who clearly have nothing better to do than play with their screens and spew more dribble. If my life ever boiled down to posting a thousand or two thousand or more comments I hope someone would take me out back and put me down like a lame horse.
I respect that you aren't getting what you need. You should probably take the same approach to your garage system as you are for your car collection. Otherwise you will get a mishmash of ideas, it is after all the internet.;) I used to do home install and I wanted to chime in to your thread, but I honestly can't answer your question from my computer keyboard!
If you did get a good consultant/installer, you would likely end up going in a much different direction compared to what you laid out in your original post (your pre-existing Revel and Krell gear would not be a factor for instance, they are great but should be set aside even if they share connectivity in your home). Depending on the business you work with, you might end up with a system similar to some of the ones suggested here, especially the prosound (not for the SPL but for the clarity, a challenge in your space). There are so many speakers and styles. Many ideas here are super valid (maybe not those Meyer Sound nearfields, even though they are awesome... you should consider a pair and the matching sub for your personal desktop system!!!:p) Most importantly, you would get your garage space measured, speakers set up in a place where they have a credible chance of performing, and DSP applied to control things. And of course, take into account your aesthetic concerns. There are so many great speakers from hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars that will sound horrible in your space for lack of setup and control of the acoustics.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Personal Insults are not permitted here. Several posts were deleted and Warnings issued. To treat a fellow member like this for no apparent reason is unacceptable. If this is your idea of being a valuable contributing member of our community. Think again. Treat others as you would like to be treated and remember that there is a real person with feelings and emotions behind each avatar. The piling on was completely uncalled for and the judgement statements even more so. Be advised that repeat offenses of this type will be your last here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom