• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
F22B9E39-2377-4B4D-8714-70AB1DBA57E7.jpeg
98CFD72E-8338-45D2-90D2-612FE8B7E72A.jpeg

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Impressive stack! Love to try a couple of their amps, or even one, just not in the budget right now. Also lusted after one of those Earthworks mic pres, or even a GR design, but just can't justify it for the little use I'd make of it these days.

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
It don’t sound bad for a couple of home theater amps and a pro audio converter.

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Impressive stack! Love to try a couple of their amps, or even one, just not in the budget right now. Also lusted after one of those Earthworks mic pres, or even a GR design, but just can't justify it for the little use I'd make of it these days.
Thanks. I’m selling my other earthworks mic pre on eBay.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hmmm... Might have to take a peek. Also a 1021?

Any heat issues with amps and DAC stacked like that? I tend to put low-level stuff on the bottom so it is on the cooler side of a stack, but generally do not stack stuff without spacers.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm glad the rack is there to dissipate stray resonances.

In all seriousness, it looks very nice and probably was a bargain compared to conventional, non-professional audiophile gear. It probably sounds better than the audiophile stuff, too.

Last edited:
OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Congrats! Looks really nice.
Thanks. I’m working on a weekend I want to travel with my wife to visit the northwest late June/early July. I’ll bring the the DAC 3 with me for your examination. I’ll let you know.

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Hmmm... Might have to take a peek. Also a 1021?

Any heat issues with amps and DAC stacked like that? I tend to put low-level stuff on the bottom so it is on the cooler side of a stack, but generally do not stack stuff without spacers.
I asked Benchmark about stacking the gear. They said there shouldn’t be a problem.

Yes, it’s a 1021. The only reason I had 2 was because I was streaming vinyl through my computer and back out my DAC. It was a cool rig. I didn’t have to save any of the vinyl recordings in digital but I got to use digital RIAA and all my EQ/crossovers. It was fun until I realized that I didn’t like the bass vinyl gave me. I got over it pretty quick. I’m glad the TT is out of my life. But I hung on to both 1021 pres because I thought maybe I’d try recording my niece playing the piano or something with a stereo pair of earthworks mics. But I don’t think I’ll do that now.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/282813353972

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Looks great dallas, bet it sounds even better. ;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an Earthworks SR20 microphone. Not one of their top models. It is still a terrific microphone. Wish I could make myself spring for one of their preamps.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I've had an M30 "forever" but for audio stuff these days I use my CSL-calibrated UMIK-1 and REW. Gives essentially identical results for a lot less hassle (and an order of magnitude plus less money).

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
@dallasjustice,

Don’t hesitate to tell us about sound (vs. old gear) and features!

A couple of questions, if I may:

Do you know which filter(s) Dac3 applies?

What is the whole of your chain now, including software?

Did you ever consider one Benchmark amplifier per driver for a total of 6 in a 3-way stereo setup?

:)

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They are good, the AHB2 replaced Mola-Mola here, and the Dac3 has been faultless.

Keith

D

Deleted member 65

Really nice setup! However don't underestimate the detrimental effect of stacking the amps, see Stereophiles recent discovery on the subject below ... ;-)
Amir, something to put on your ToDo list! :D

" Whoa! Everything came into more precise focus, with more detailed, more extended bass, cleaner highs, and greater dynamic ease. Going back and forth between stacked and unstacked while listening to other familiar recordings confirmed those initial impressions: The Stellar M700s sounded better when sitting side by side on individual stands than when stacked atop one another."

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content...monoblock-power-amplifier#ieAqCPZ2JF3vzQEd.99

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Really nice setup! However don't underestimate the detrimental effect of stacking the amps, see Stereophiles recent discovery on the subject below ... ;-)
Amir, something to put on your ToDo list! :D

" Whoa! Everything came into more precise focus, with more detailed, more extended bass, cleaner highs, and greater dynamic ease. Going back and forth between stacked and unstacked while listening to other familiar recordings confirmed those initial impressions: The Stellar M700s sounded better when sitting side by side on individual stands than when stacked atop one another."

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content...monoblock-power-amplifier#ieAqCPZ2JF3vzQEd.99
How could I question that conclusion? I think I need to send that Stereophile research to Benchmark so they can update their manuals with these new measurements.

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Did you ever consider one Benchmark amplifier per driver for a total of 6 in a 3-way stereo setup?
Yes. I’ve thought a lot about it. I just need to know a reasonable way to take apart my JBL 4367 speaker so I can disconnect the crossover. I don’t want to destroy my speakers. I’m also not sure whether there would be a benefit to doing it. The step response already looks very good.

Top Bottom