• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why Audiophonics HPA-S400ET over Benchmark AHB2 or vice-versa?

Bob101

My question is this: considering how the Audiophonics HPA-S400ET (which I own) measures, specificallY against the benchmark AHB2; is there an objective reason to choose one over another for someone who wants transparent amplification @ power of, say, 100 Watts or more?
Do these amps still have a 'sound'? And if so: is one sounding better (or less good) for certain (domestic) applications?
Why or when should someone go for the Benchmark instead of the HPA-S400ET?

I hope the questions are formulated clearly enough. This is my first Post, so correct me if I'm in the wrong place or redirect me to an older thread about this topic if it already exists.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My question is this: considering how the Audiophonics HPA-S400ET (which I own) measures, specificallY against the benchmark AHB2; is there an objective reason to choose one over another for someone who wants transparent amplification @ power of, say, 100 Watts or more?
Do these amps still have a 'sound'? And if so: is one sounding better (or less good) for certain (domestic) applications?
Why or when should someone go for the Benchmark instead of the HPA-S400ET?

I hope the questions are formulated clearly enough. This is my first Post, so correct me if I'm in the wrong place or redirect me to an older thread about this topic if it already exists.
Hello. You have 34 more posts before this - maybe you have forgotten?

1700819675597.png

Does this topic exist question depends on what exactly your question is. How much measurement matters do exists, almost in every thread, but more specifically in this one here. If the question is how does HPA-s400ET compares to AHB2, that might be a new question.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can think of 2 real life reasons as opposed to measurements for choosing one over the other. I'm sure there are more but I'll stick to the 2.

1. Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Over Benchmark.
Cost. You can afford the S400ET but not the AHB2 which is about 2.5 times more.
You should go for the S400ET.
2. Benchmark over Audiophonics HPA-S400ET.
Size constraints. If you have a small space and the HPA-S400ET just won't fit The Benchmark is more compact and will and price isn't an issue.
You should go for the Benchmark.
Driven within their parameters neither of these amps should have a "sound" so not really anything to worry about.

Hope this helps.

OP
Bob101

Bob101

Hello. You have 34 more posts before this - maybe you have forgotten?

View attachment 328980

Does this topic exist question depends on what exactly your question is. How much measurement matters do exists, almost in every thread, but more specifically in this one here. If the question is how does HPA-s400ET compares to AHB2, that might be a new question.
I meant: this is the first thread I start. Please spare me your semantics.

OP
Bob101

Bob101

I can think of 2 real life reasons as opposed to measurements for choosing one over the other. I'm sure there are more but I'll stick to the 2.

1. Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Over Benchmark.
Cost. You can afford the S400ET but not the AHB2 which is about 2.5 times more.
You should go for the S400ET.
2. Benchmark over Audiophonics HPA-S400ET.
Size constraints. If you have a small space and the HPA-S400ET just won't fit The Benchmark is more compact and will and price isn't an issue.
You should go for the Benchmark.
Driven within their parameters neither of these amps should have a "sound" so not really anything to worry about.

Hope this helps.
So except for space constraints there is no good reason, at all when cost is not the issue? Then why would anyone not living in a cupboard buy the Benchmark? That is my question.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So except for space constraints there is no good reason, at all when cost is not the issue? Then why would anyone with ample funds not living in a cupboard buy the Benchmark?
Here are some things I can think of.

Have a bias against class D.
Aesthetics.
Brand reputation.
Matching preamp.
Bragging rights.

Etc.

OP
Bob101

Bob101

Here are some things I can think of.

Have a bias against class D.
Aesthetics.
Brand reputation.
Matching preamp.
Bragging rights.
Thank you for replying, but:
Warning: Sarcasm ahead.

Preamps (for domestic hifi) can be combined with virtually any poweramp without issue. So: not a real issue...
Bias against Class D is so 2005. But is unfortunately still a thing somehow.
Aesthetics I agree on, but making a class D look like a milled-from-a-solid-block of unobtanium with VU-meters high-end AB would just jack up the price, not Sound Quality. I love AB, BTW.
Brand Reputation: ok. For now. Won't last for much longer as more and more brands will go 'D'.
Which leaves bragging rights. Well: If you need to brag, your equipment isn't convincing the audience.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sarcasm aside... :cool:
Preamps (for domestic hifi) can be combined with virtually any poweramp without issue. So: not a real issue...
That then becomes aesthetics and branding again - plus the perception that one manufacturers kit will be optimised to work together.

Bias against Class D is so 2005. But is unfortunately still a thing somehow.
Yep

Aesthetics I agree on, but making a class D look like a milled-from-a-solid-block of unobtanium with VU-meters high-end AB would just jack up the price, not Sound Quality.
Many people will pay quite a bit for something that looks nice. And I don't think your "unobtanium" etc description applies particularly to the benchmark.

I love AB, BTW.

Why? :p

Brand Reputation: ok. For now. Won't last for much longer as more and more brands will go 'D'.
I thought we were comparing audiophonics with benchmark - not AB with Class D. :p

Which leaves bragging rights. Well: If you need to brag, your equipment isn't convincing the audience.
People love to show off. Often it is a case of "look how much money I have" - rather than the equipment per se.

Finally - you asked for reasons "why would anyone....."

I think that is what I provided.

OP
Bob101

Bob101

I wish you much success with your righteousness. May it bring you happiness.

Last edited:

Matt_Holland

Have you thought about trying the following:
Buy the one your heart tells you to and then regret it 3 months later and buy the one your head tells you to?

If I could afford either I think that’s the path I’d end up down :D

OP
Bob101

Bob101

If they cost the same I'd choose the Benchmark without a doubt. It will likely outlast me. Not so sure the Audiophonics would..
Finally a real, but unfounded, reply. Why would one be more prone to failure? Data? Proof?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I meant: this is the first thread I start. Please spare me your semantics.
I suspect you are doing it again Bob, I think you mean "spare me your pedantics", because semantics means the meaning of words and we don't have much of a forum (or a language) if we don't pay attention to meaning of words.

And most people would say, "oh right, I meant my first thread". But you did not. Maybe if you had the AHB2, you would not have "performance anxiety" and would be a bit humbler. Proof is in the Post.

D

Deleted member 48726

Finally a real, but unfounded, reply. Why would one be more prone to failure? Data? Proof?
Most class D amps are dumped in sealed boxes without any way for the heat to escape. This particular amp though (Audiophonics S400ET) seems to be built quite alright so I guess only time will tell. Benchmark on the other hand is a proven "classical" design.

Soundwise there should be no reason to choose one over the other.

D

Deleted member 48726

I suspect you are doing it again, Bob, I think you mean "spare me your pedantics", because semantics means the meaning of words and we don't have much of a forum (or a language) if we don't pay attention to meaning of words.

And most people would say, "oh right, I meant my first thread". But you did not. Maybe if you had the AHB2, you would not have "performance anxiety" and would be a bit humbler. Proof is in the Post.

Oh my, IAtaman, you missed a comma. I've put it in for you. :p

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh my, IAtaman, you missed a comma. I've put it in for you. :p
Click 1 for "Oh, right - thanks for that." Click 2 for "Spare me your antics". This conversation might be recorded for training purposes.

OP
Bob101

Bob101

And blocked. No time for that nonsense
You have all been so helpful. I'm moved. I learned that
for my next posts, I may only use words that will hold up in scientific audio-court.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Both of those amps are excellent examples of measurement led design, now if you had said should I get the Benchmark or a 4w single ended triode..
Keith

Top Bottom