• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ER4SR + Benchmark DAC3 B + Schiit Mjolnir 3

JJFUSA

So I am thinking to merge those monsters together to benefit my ER4SR dead flat IEMs:

Benchmark DAC3 B:

Schiit Mjolnir 3

Class A amp with reference DAC.

Anyone has an experience with both, I want to be sure the price is worth my investments.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So I am thinking to merge those monsters together to benefit my ER4SR dead flat IEMs:

Benchmark DAC3 B:

Schiit Mjolnir 3

Class A amp with reference DAC.

Anyone has an experience with both, I want to be sure the price is worth my investments.
Why would you need a big desktop amp and dac for a pair of iem?

No, the price is not worth your investment.

OP
J

JJFUSA

Let me explain what's my intentions are, ER4SR is the only dead flat IEM's, as I know, no headphones match the level of the flat sound of ER4SR, so I want to get Class A amp and the most transparent DAC to get the most of the neutral sound, as far as I see only those amp and dac could manage to do so.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Let me explain what's my intentions are, ER4SR is the only dead flat IEM's, as I know, no headphones match the level of the flat sound of ER4SR
I disagree. I think the ER4SR sounds far from flat. The XR is a bit better, and it is the IEM that I use most. But only because of its noise isolation. The tuning is pretty bad.

so I want to get Class A amp and the most transparent DAC to get the most of the neutral sound, as far as I see only those amp and dac could manage to do so.
Please read a bit more about audibility thresholds.

I can all but guarantee that using an ER4SR, the Benchmark DAC3 B + Mjolnir 3 will sound identical to a $9 Apple headphone dongle.

Such is the nature of human hearing.

If you actually want to improve sound quality, then learn how to use EQ, Crossfeed, HRTF.

But don't spend thousands on stuff that doesn't matter. You deserve better.

Last edited:
OP
J

JJFUSA

I disagree. I think the ER4SR sounds far from flat. The XR is a bit better, and it is the IEM that I use most. But only because of its noise isolation. The tuning is pretty bad.

Please read a bit more about audibility thresholds.

I can all but guarantee that using an ER4SR, the Benchmark DAC3 B + Mjolnir 3 will sound identical to a $9 Apple headphone dongle.

Such is the nature of human hearing.

If you actually want to improve sound quality, then learn how to use EQ, Crossfeed, HRTF.

But don't spend thousands on stuff that doesn't matter. You deserve better.
I do prefer the DF neutral signature over the artificial bass XR provide, both IEMs are wonderful, I think, depends on the taste, yet, neutrality of the sound has to be considered, EQ brings unnecessary harmonic distractions as I know, I feel the difference of the sound between MoonDrop MoonRiver 2 vs my G7 ES9218P, more clarity, more details, so I guess it is matter of the taste.

drewdawg999

I have the old ER4P with a P to S adapter, so it's an ER4S. My bedroom headphone stack is a DO100 with a THX 789. Then I run with lots of EQ including a large bass boost. Awesome sound quality with shimmery treble and outstanding micro details, and plenty of bass impact as well. Audibly transparent, achieved on a tight budget. If you can afford it, your choices will do fine, but you don't have to spend that much for equivalent performance.

Top Bottom