• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why Audiophonics HPA-S400ET over Benchmark AHB2 or vice-versa?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
There may be a difference in gain, which might make have a practical impact. ISTR, that the Benchmark is relatively low gain, whereas most 1ET400A amps ship with a buffer which allow different gain settings (mine do). If this is the case someone with a preamplifier with relatively low output would find the Audiophonics more practical.

ehabheikal

Another point, i have deal this audiophonics, they are terrific. I had a defective part, but was in another country, they sent me the replacement without needing to send in the defective part, it was 50euro or so.
I also have the same insides as the audiophinics amp but from another vendor, and i think from mesurements both these amps are totally transparent. They both are above the ability of humans to hear. I will get a lot of heat for my comment.

ehabheikal

My question is this: considering how the Audiophonics HPA-S400ET (which I own) measures, specificallY against the benchmark AHB2; is there an objective reason to choose one over another for someone who wants transparent amplification @ power of, say, 100 Watts or more?
Do these amps still have a 'sound'? And if so: is one sounding better (or less good) for certain (domestic) applications?
Why or when should someone go for the Benchmark instead of the HPA-S400ET?

I hope the questions are formulated clearly enough. This is my first Post, so correct me if I'm in the wrong place or redirect me to an older thread about this topic if it already exists.
Save your amp upgrade money for something like better speakers, since both these amps are close to perfect sonically and i think the one you have has more power too the the ahb2.

Top Bottom