• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark AHB2 Review (Updated Measurements)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 47 15.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 248 80.8%

• Total voters

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The fact is, in the world of SOTA class AB amps it's quite a bargain.

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
I am indeed from the Balkans, although I no longer live there. Which means spending way above my means for something I don't really need is very much in my DNA.

My argument here is not about income inequality, but about putting things into perspective. Power amps do not make audible improvements on the sound after a certain point.

Would I hate on someone with 6 subwoofers in a room? No way - all power to you. I am not counting anyone's money, I am just looking for more consumer oriented no non-sense approach.
Well here's my thinking on amps such as the AHB2, which I realize is a bit more expensive. Long time ago, I got sick and tired of buying what "seemed" to be lower cost amps (and other electronics). Turned out that in many cases the lower cost meant addtional replacement costs down the road, and paying a bit more up front was cheaper in the long run. Warranty service, repairability, and overall quality really meant something in terms of dollars spent.

Does that strategy apply to these Hypex based amps? Honestly I don't know as these parts haven't been around for long enough time period to know. Also, the future parts supply for these amps, as in years down the road, is not well defined (at least for me). So, at least for now, I decided to mostly stick with my approach of spending a bit more up-front.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My only criticism of the amplifier is ergonomic. If you elect to use binding posts you insert bare wire from the bottom of the terminal. This makes insertion awkward as you have to lift up the amplifier, turning it upside down in order to locate the insertion point. The amp is quite lightweight, so it can be done easily. Of course, for most people wire insertion is "one and done' as long as the amplifier stays put.

Speakon connectors are convenient, however Benchmark cables are rather thick and inflexible, so it's not as easy to run them under rugs and in corners like generic Monster-type speaker wire. I understand that the Benchmark Speakon cables have better S/N than generic wire into a biding post, but in my living room it is not anything I've noticed. YMMV

Finally, with relatively sensitive loudspeakers (101dB/watt/meter) and at moderate to loud SPL the amplifier becomes only slightly warm after hours of use.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you elect to use binding posts you insert bare wire from the bottom of the terminal
With some binding posts, the nut part is removeable. In that case I use a ring terminal crimped and soldered. I also use a copper crush washer to keep the junction air tight.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With some binding posts, the nut part is removeable. In that case I use a ring terminal crimped and soldered. I also use a copper crush washer to keep the junction air tight.
I just checked, and the Benchmark nut is fixed into the clear plastic housing, so that is not possible. But it is a good idea. My guess is that the AHB2 was designed with a professional audience in mind, so those of us living in regular consumer hi-fi space have to adapt to these little inconveniences. :)

dfuller

Major Contributor
If one is referring to older Hypex boards, perhaps so but I don't believe the newer Hypex or Purifi boards have a tendency to "blow up".
The UcDs are for sure the worst, but there are still issues with the NCores. Purifis aren't used much vs Hypex. But I'll put it this way - there's a reason most active speakers use Pascal or ICEPower, despite Hypex performing better.

So 10 pages so far of people claiming exemplary reliability from these amps. Yet not 1 shred of evidence to support this claim. Other than perceived value based on the thickness of the faceplate, mystique surrounding the brand name due to extensive advertising campaigns, and emotional responses from fanboys who overpaid and don’t want to admit they've been had.
Provide some data on failures if you're this hopped up about it.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My only criticism of the amplifier is ergonomic. If you elect to use binding posts you insert bare wire from the bottom of the terminal. This makes insertion awkward as you have to lift up the amplifier, turning it upside down in order to locate the insertion point. The amp is quite lightweight, so it can be done easily. Of course, for most people wire insertion is "one and done' as long as the amplifier stays put.

Speakon connectors are convenient, however Benchmark cables are rather thick and inflexible, so it's not as easy to run them under rugs and in corners like generic Monster-type speaker wire. I understand that the Benchmark Speakon cables have better S/N than generic wire into a biding post, but in my living room it is not anything I've noticed. YMMV
I DIY'd some cables for a new Purify amp. I bought a pair of reasonable cables with spade terminations, cut off one end and screwed on a Neutrik speak-on terminal. It was very easy to do. Benchmark's cable may be overly rigid (I don't know how true this is, as I have not seen them in person), but if you DIY you have full control over the cable thickness and rigidity.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would I hate on someone with 6 subwoofers in a room? No way - all power to you. I am not counting anyone's money, I am just looking for more consumer oriented no non-sense approach.
Look at the Soncoz. And there are plenty of Hypex and Purifi integrators that make "entry" level amps for about $1k.

For those who can afford $3,500, we all should be clapping our hands for them. Like you said, all power to them. Never hate, always congratulate and appreciate. Shoot, I wish I can afford an AP and NFS like Amir :D

Reactions: MKR

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Many of the resident AHB owners here are of an age where they want an end game, 100% reliable, quality built amplifier of superlative performance that doesn’t cost telephone numbers and isn’t the size of a bar fridge which will likely ‘see them out’.
Well stated. I embraced them when they came along in no small part (!) because I could no longer easily manage or lift the traditional power amps I had been using. We are now renovating our apartment and the small size of the Benchmarks has been quite advantageous.

Not even the NAD Purifi-based amps I bought at the same time are as suitable.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I have not use bare-wires in decades but I have used locking-banana plugs with the Benchmark and not observed any audible differences between them and SpeakOn connections with the same type Canare wire/cable in both.

Chagall

Forum Donor
One of the biggest lessons from my father: "never worry about, how other people spend their money"
Big thing for mental health and well-being.

This should be pinned in every review thread! Yes, even on M Scaler :)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Benchmark's cable may be overly rigid...

I'm not sure about the 'overly' thing. Thicker than generic speaker wire, for sure. That said, they are high quality and appear reasonably priced. Homemade is good if you have the inclination. For most loudspeakers--at least those that are not 'pro' oriented, speaker terminal ends will likely not be speakON (to use their spelling).

I ordered mine with locking banana plugs. Along with Benchamrk XLR interconnectors between the amp and DAC HGC. The latter being very user flexible featuring multiple digital ins and sufficient RCA analog inputs/outputs. The second analog out is great for a sub...

Really, the only thing I was not happy about was the remote. It works fine, and is sturdier than the usual plastic sticks you expect (being aluminum). But the form factor has no 'tactile' or visual way to distinguish front end from back end in the dark, so it's always pointing the 'wrong way' whenever I pick it up. And it is black. They all are. Why remotes are never white, or brushed aluminum with a LED so you can find it when you forgot where you put it down, or when it slips under the cushions is something I don't understand. Do Mac remotes come with a green LED and a tube?

The best way would be to have another remote with a button you could push that would cause the remote you lost to emit a sound, so you could track it down. But then you'd need a third one...

All my criticisms are petty, in the scheme of things. As @restorer-john wrote, I bought it because I was looking for an 'end game'. FWIW, my interactions with the company over the phone have always been pleasant and professional. And I know that if I have a problem I can obtain a fair resolution at a fair price from them.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thick or not, Canare 4S11 is a pretty common speaker wire in the pro world. IIRC it is about 11-AWG equivalent. Benchmark's roots are in pro sound, not the audiophile market, AFAIK so that may explain some of their aesthetic and operational choices.

I have the AHB2 on my list for replacement amps when my Emotiva's die, but also have a four-channel Buckeye amp that is working well for my overheads. I suppose some folk would have apoplexy over my SDP-75 (JBL Trinnov Altitude 32), but in comparison to the cost of the last few AVR/AVPs I purchased, it is a reasonable product for the channel count, features, and upgradeability. Like the AHB2, an end-game component, bought for a good price as a dealer return. After 40+ years working as an engineer I could afford it, and though I cannot afford a $100k amplifier, $3500 is not unreasonable to me.

My sons could not begin to afford my audio system, but have benefitted from my upgrades over the years, and in 30 or 40 years when they retire hopefully they will also be able to afford gear that seems a reasonable value to them even if it makes other heads explode.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am also in the end-game amp mode.
Here is my journey:
Outlaw 7200 -> ATI3000 -> Parasound A21 -> ATI6000 -> Benchmark AHB2.

The other amps are more powerful, but I have discovered that I don’t need the power. The AHB2s have excellent clipping indicators and I don’t come close to their limit with music and movies. I can clip them, for sure if, I try. Preserving my hearing is a concern and making my ears ring is not rewarding.

The AHB2 are small, light, have low idle power, are mechanically silent, silent at the speakers, and of course, provide SOA performance.
The protection features are also valuable since the Salon2s are now EOL. They check all the boxes for me.

Still, every once and while I contemplate buying one more AHB2, combining it with the Office AHB2 to bridge and bi-amp the Salon2s.
Totally unnecessary, but… ;)

If I were to replace the Office AHB2, I’d probably buy a purify amp.

- Rich

Last edited:

Chester

I think the problem with the pricing is what you’re getting for the price, rather than simply the price. People are using words like “end-game” and other superlatives to describe this amplifier as being superior to other amps costing 10x less per watt. Yet refuse to offer any evidence of the superiority. We already seen the measurements. So are you guys referring to the faceplate? The feet? Some are saying it’s made in the USA. So the PCB’s are populated in the USA? I highly doubt it. More like assembled in the USA just like the US based class D guys assembling class D amps in the USA from foreign populated PCB’s.

It’s been said multiple times by multiple people, yet you seem to not want to hear it. Build quality, level of support, robust protection for your speakers. These are all things people care about alongside the audio performance.

You don’t rate it compared to class D offerings, we get it. Please can we leave it there.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the problem with the pricing is what you’re getting for the price, rather than simply the price. People are using words like “end-game” and other superlatives to describe this amplifier as being superior to other amps costing 10x less per watt. Yet refuse to offer any evidence of the superiority. We already seen the measurements. So are you guys referring to the faceplate? The feet? Some are saying it’s made in the USA. So the PCB’s are populated in the USA? I highly doubt it. More like assembled in the USA just like the US based class D guys assembling class D amps in the USA from foreign populated PCB’s.
If you don’t like what you are getting for the price, don’t buy it.

Others feel differently. Certainly the protection mechanism is well engineered in the AHB2 with both voltage and current clipping indicators and a design to shutdown before an accident could fry your tweeters. My tweeter cost about $1000 each to replace.

- Rich

Top Bottom