• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Avantone Pro MixCube Monitor Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 169 83.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 7.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 15 7.4%

• Total voters

dasdoing

Major Contributor
about group delay. you guys have to realize that it contains the FR. excess group delay is better.
but I think the best way to look at transient response per frequency is the black line on the spectogram graph

nahuel

IMHO-IME:

I believe that cube speakers are useful, it's not like just having an EQ on your bus emulating the cube, it sounds very different, more agressive and detailed (all other frequencies above and below are gone). I have a Mixcube also for mono check, and it has a different perpective on the mix, so once you hear the music trough that magnifying glass, and taking into account that it will sound a bit harsh than things actually are, it gives you information to continue working on your "flat" speakers.

I also think that learning how to mix is learning how to hear. That process, just like it is when you go to music school, can be a bit complex, and some days you'll hear things in a way, and another day you'll hear them different. Some days you will be able to focus more, and some other you won't. So it's a process of learning how to work not only with the gear, but with oneself. And there's no chance you'll escape that, it's a fact. One thing i've learned here is that our hearing perception is subject to a lot more than we realise.

So, to some people it is a useful thing to use a mixcube FOR MIXING, and other's may not like to use it, and both are fine. Or maybe they'll use it for some time, learn something on them, and then sell them, it all also depends how many hours a week you'll be working and learning that craft. Every person's life is different. There is a lot to be said about learning how to hear, a lot. Non musicians/mix engineers also have diferent interests and uses of speaker technology, and that's fine too.

Me, having the mixcube for two years almost, i still check on them. As i get better and realise how to get sounds sounding "good" (balanced), i use it less, but still use it. It's a mono check also. Like someone said, it's a "confidence" check, and that is a good thing to have. Other "confidence check" gear I use are Audeze's LCD-X and Sennheiser HD650. I know I won't be spending more money con "confidence" check gear, that's for sure. I feel confident enough to continue to work like this till i've got the cash to get three-way 6-8k speakers, I CAN TELL YOU THAT. Not worried about my work not translating, just trying to get better at it.

Hexspa

To be completely honest, I’m far more confused about this speaker now than before I sent it. While I appreciate those who’ve shared their time to help me understand, I’m going to have to sit down and deliberately study speakers in a bit more depth.

There seems to be contention about the ‘transient response’ and I’ll just say this: my experience was that the cube was sharper than the Yamaha HS50. What I’m not sure about is if I compared one HS50 to the cube instead of two Yammies in stereo. I think it was the latter and, in that case there was a definite difference. Again, once my room is ready, I’ll do a single-to-single level-matched comparison with the speakers close together. When I did my original subjective comparison, it was not as controlled and I’d yet to hear of the Harman research.

Thanks.

markanini

Major Contributor
Maybe consider the reduced frequency masking relative to the critical mids as having some explaining power to your subjective impressions.

Hexspa

Maybe consider the reduced frequency masking relative to the critical mids as having some explaining power to your subjective impressions.
Right: filter the bass. I’ll be sure to try and match the frequency responses. Thanks for the reminder.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see why all the shade is being thrown at this speaker. It is clearly being sold as a "monitor speaker." A monitor is a kind of large lizard. I suspect that they would really like these speakers.

I think you are right. From the Smithsonian about monitor lizard hearing:
They have a much smaller hearing range than humans and, as a result, cannot hear sounds like low-pitched voices or high-pitched screams.

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
maybe it make these speaker worser in the 4-6 khz range because there is the amp in the box. original is passive. here is a explain of it and also better FR

Maybe i should really buy this thing in passive and hear myself what happen if they are better as that what i have. there need keep in mind when put speaker on desktop also on ear height stative the boom bass range around 80-90 hz is boost alot. reduce with eq bring much transient problems that can see in tone burst measure. maybe they can use with full range in a modular system. on desktop the focal 65 evo upto 70 hz then avantonbe and after 3 khz the ribbon tweeter i have. only problem is my DSP support only 4 outputs

FR seem not so important because headphones mostly have not such good FR as speakers and i think all sound much better in compare to speakers in the low bass range . EQ in high freq range i hear no problem. but EQ in low bass sound worse for me and get bad felling in ear after longer hear.

I have the AKG K1000 this is more simular to speaker. so can even more better compare. My K1000 is near broken it still have some strange noise in the bass sometimes. so i safe his life and want use speaker. My K 1000 is over 28 years old . but when look on phase it look good. I use minidsp ear to measure. you can see FR is worse . you can see that on all headphones on this page too.

the bass weak is because i rotate the K1000 systems around 30 degree outsite. this give better stereo image less in head sound less bass but i like that more. i am happy if there come for a good price such a headphone or speaker with that FR and phase

akg k1000.jpg

group delay below 50 hz seem noise of the minidsp ear measure system. i notice it have more noise as a measure microphone connect with XLR. thats the reason wy i need measure over 90 db.

akg k1000 group delay.jpg

Last edited:

fineMen

Major Contributor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ozonepaul

... Streaky is kind of a joke as MEs go, but most mastering houses that do good work that I've found tend to be using soffited ATC SCM110s or similar.

I haven't seen many of Streaky's youtube reviews, but most of the ones I've seen were average at best; most of his youtube mixing/mastering tips though are pretty much in line with my experience/practice + it's presented in short, on to the point format... I think it's pure "youtube gold", I wish I had freely available info like these when I was 15.

Anyway, I worked with Streaky on a project around 2005. At that time he was still working in Metropolis Studios in Chiswick. If you've met anyone with "bat like hearing", someone who was driven, who was helpful, knowledgeable and professional in every sense of the word... he came across as anything but a "joke". I don't have a clue who are you, what kind of an experience you've got as far as mixing/mastering goes.... but after reading your "Streaky is kind of a joke as MEs go" comment my first thought was that I'm not really convinced your résumé and your quality of work would favorably compete against his. Perhaps you just can't stand his "youtube sales pitch personality"... fair enough. But he's (or at least he was) a quality ME.

Last edited:

Geert

Major Contributor
maybe it make these speaker worser in the 4-6 khz range because there is the amp in the box. original is passive. here is a explain of it and also better FR
There is no better FR in that article. It says "Simplified Avantone Frequency Response". There's also no reason to believe a build in amp causes resonances.

FR seem not so important because headphones mostly have not such good FR as speakers and i think all sound much better in compare to speakers in the low bass range .
Low end frequency response of different headphones is all over the place, from very weak to overwhelming high. So doesn't make sense to claim it's always better than that of speakers. The main difference is that the sound of headphones is not influenced by room acoustics.

I have the AKG K1000 this is more simular to speaker.....
Maybe create a separate topic about your Hifi journey because this is all too far of topic and your transient and group delay arguments are not as factual as you suggest. There already are different threads dedicated to this topic.

bennybbbx

There is no better FR in that article. It says "Simplified Avantone Frequency Response". There's also no reason to believe a build in amp causes resonances.

yes it is simplified. and even if he look at it simplified this text he write does not fit with the active mixcubes test here. or do you think it is right for the active mix cubes ?

The frequency response between 3kHz and 6kHz is almost flat except for a small spike at 4.5kHz.

when descripe simplified the active mix cubes then can say . "The frequency response between 3kHz and 6kHz have big spikes"

bennybbbx

Mix…phones? Not the first time, apparently, either.

And the obligatory SoS.

oh mix phone is bad. 130 db output. not that they think when people use the mix phone then they get hearing loss and need no treble over 3 khz

• Frequency Response: 18Hz-25kHz
  • Driver Size: Large format 50mm drivers
  • Rated Power: 15mW
  • Maximum Power: 30mW
  • Noise Floor: 113dB IEC-318@1mW, 1kHz
  • SPL: 130dB (0.5% THD @ 1000Hz) 146dB with pad engaged
  • Impedance: 16ohm +/-2.4 (15%)
  • Weight: .55kg

how fast can get unrepairable hearing loss is in this table.

NIOSH dB exposure and time table

Hexspa

I haven't seen many of Streaky's youtube reviews, but most of the ones I've seen were average at best. But I worked with Streaky on a project around 2005. At that time he was still working in Metropolis Studios in Chiswick. If you've met anyone with "bat like hearing", someone who was driven, who was helpful, knowledgeable and professional in every sense of the word... he came across as anything but a "joke". I don't have a clue who are you, what kind of an experience you've got as far as mixing/mastering goes.... but after reading your "Streaky is kind of a joke as MEs go" comment my first thought was that I'm not really convinced your résumé and your quality of work would favorably compete against his. Perhaps you just can't stand his "youtube sales pitch personality"... fair enough. But he's (or at least he was) quality ME.
Cool to hear from someone who’s worked with him. I’m glad he’s legit but I understand the first impressions of him. All I can say from my end is that he suddenly appeared in my feed a couple years ago. An apparently self-proclaimed mastering engineer who looks like a grown man but has the youtube thumbnail style of an adolescent gamer. I’m not judging, it’s just a SUPER HYPED youtube CHANNEL with lots of CAPS. Good on him but, you know, mastering until now has presented itself as more staid. But, hey, he gets views and here we are talking about him so it worked! I thought he had a video on how he could hear the difference in cables so that immediately turned me off but I can’t find it now.

Rahan

I just know that people who make the high quality music we love check it with this kind of device. So, no matters how crapy those are. It works fine for what there are made to do.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
When the speaker is not good or left and right speaker have not same distance to ear and precise it can not hear so good. if a speaker have larger group dellay in the bass transients are fit not so good. (see my group delay posts) and if remove the bass of music help to get better precision on worse speaker. if you have a speaker or headphone that have also in low bass not more group delay as 0.1 ms then bass should not matter .

There can also do sine tone at 100 hz and delay left channel 0.3 ms . then can hear clear it is not on mid . maybe to examine this more can do tests with sine tone of diffrent frequency 60 hz 80 hz 100 hz 120 hz 160 hz 200 hz and delay 1 channel 0.3 ms . then it should clear hearable out of mid

How about this?

DSJR

Major Contributor
I'm sure I remember reading (could be the Roy Allison pages as regards his speaker designs) that a 'cube' is not a good shape for a speaker box, as internal standing waves and so on put ripples into the upper mid response (this may be for a larger cube shape, I don't know). Even with my ears the way they are now, I still dislike a shrill squeaky presentation (starting with LS3/5A's despite the one note bass thump - yech!), so maybe if the rest of the range is bad, any disadvantage in the cuboid shape is irrelevant?

Top Bottom