• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any experience or reviews for "Tivoli Audio Cube"?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

recycle

The unit @recycle links seems to be the same as the Cube, just with an added charger and lamp. The reviews talk bad about the bluetooth implementation and the charger, but the sound is mentioned as "pretty good", whatever that means. I don't need wifi or bluetooth, I would connect the Cube directly to the Aux In.

The general consensus seems to be that the Tivoli products sound ok (at least Model 1), but there is no one with direct experience with the Cube.
You're probably in the mood for a compulsive purchase, so nothing will change your mind. Good luck

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Putter I had a Tivoli speaker (now I gave it away), I know what I'm talking about. I don't understand why you have to take it personally if I say it has poor performance, in fact you should be grateful to me for sharing the experience. If you don't believe what I say, just read the reviews on Amazon and see for yourself
View attachment 359231
Yeah, they do look nice, but the size and weight of these things, it's pretty clear that they are very pretty but extremely cheaply made.

As for the OP's intention though, I'm guessing if you get a pair that function they could be good for testing mixes to see what they sound like on a cheap and limited device. They will certainly look nice wherever they are placed.

OP
H

Hausmeister

You're probably in the mood for a compulsive purchase, so nothing will change your mind. Good luck
I came here for facts and experiences from other user and not for psychological interpretations. I got it, you don't like Tivoli. Thanks for your "constructive" replies to this thread.

ta240

Major Contributor
Why do people find it so hard to understand that one of these replies is very useful and one is of no use:
I have to dissent. I've had the Tivoli radios before. They look really cool and I wanted to like them, but the sound is not that great. It tries too hard with EQing the little 3-inch speaker. You end up with "impressive" but very boomy bass and rough treble. It sounds impressive but it's fatiguing to listen to. It works for some things, like classical at real low volume sounds kinda nice. Also the plastic front and back are flimsy and color the sound. You can hear midrange radiating out of the back but not as much out of the wood sides.

The Tivoli PAL portable radio sounds better. Not as much extension in the bass and treble, but smoother and less fatiguing. Reasonably pleasant sounding. The iSongbook has good clarity in the mids/highs and is good for talk radio but has zero bass so is no good for music.

Honestly the Bose Wave systems sound better. They're overly warm but not fatiguing like the Tivoli.

I haven't heard this new Tivoli "cube". But modern mainstream lifestyle speakers like Sonos and even some Bose are vastly better than any of the older Tivoli radios I've owned.
If you are a music lover forget Tivoli junk

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO, the standard for "bad" sound has changed a lot, and today, even a 13 USD novelty bluetooth speaker can have class D amplification and DSP, offering much less audible distortion than cheap products in the past. The frequency response is a deliberate choice, aimed at maximizing the sense of clarity, particularly with spoken word. And for a driver measuring less than 40 mm in diameter, it works remarkably well. There's obviously no real bass or treble, but it actually sounds pretty good for what it is, and intelligibility of spoken word is great. I imagine that smartphone speakers employ similar tricks. Rather than purchase a rather obscure and discontinued Tivoli product as Cube, have you considered using smartphones and popular portable speakers as your lo-fi reference?

I owned an early Tivoli Model One radio, and I imagine that despite unchanged model designation and external appearance, there have been a few changes made internally over the years, with addition of DSP being an obvious possibility. At the time, I did not know how to perform a frequency sweep, but recalled the on-axis sound at modest listening volumes and ~1 meter being pleasant. But off-axis and at greater distances, or off-axis, intelligibility of spoken word was not so good, and it didn't get very loud. But whether the 2024 version sounds the same as the one I purchased nearly a quarter-century ago, I couldn't say.

_DSC2203.jpg
RP Minis Mini SubWOOFer.jpg

Putter

Forum Donor
As the keeper of 2 mini dachshunds, I got to get this! Don't really care how it sounds although reviews indicate it's tolerable for casual use.

OP
H

Hausmeister

@JeffS7444, you bring a very valid argument to the table! I'll check out recent bluetooth speakers as an alternative. I do have a Sony SRS XB 20, but it is "uncomfortable" to listen to, this is why I did not think about this direction. But there should be other speakers with a more pleasing sound. Thanks for the suggestion!

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@JeffS7444, you bring a very valid argument to the table! I'll check out recent bluetooth speakers as an alternative. I do have a Sony SRS XB 20, but it is "uncomfortable" to listen to, this is why I did not think about this direction. But there should be other speakers with a more pleasing sound. Thanks for the suggestion!
If it's typical of what a lot of people are listening to these days, maybe "uncomfortable" is what you want for this application.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly enough this is probably true
IMO you don't need to use bad speakers as a mixing "target"... to me the purpose of doing that is to make sure the mix doesn't lose its overall character or instruments don't fall out of the mix on worse systems. It's not really bad news that people mostly buy cheap speakers... just something one needs to be aware of when creating a mix.

Top Bottom