• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any experience or reviews for "Tivoli Audio Cube"?

Hausmeister

Hi,

I am interested in the Tivoli Audio "cube" loudspeakers. See for example https://tivoliaudio.eu/pages/experience-cube-wireless-speaker
I know these are quite small lifestyle speakers, but I would be interested to use these in a similar fashion to the auratones/avantone cubes, i.e. as a mixing reference for "bad" speakers. "Bad" for me does not necessarily include a nonlinear frequency response, I am aware however that there is a significant bandwidth limitation with only one 3 inch driver when comparing to full range speakers. I would be fine with a limited bandwidth from say 100Hz to 12kHz, but not with strong nonlinearities inside the available range. It could not find any frequency response for these speakers, and they don't cite the available range.

Any direct experience from a forum member?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
No experience with that particular item but I can only sing the praises of tivoli items I own/use such as the model 1 radio and Pal radio (portable), excellent sounding and very well built

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi,

I am interested in the Tivoli Audio "cube" loudspeakers. See for example https://tivoliaudio.eu/pages/experience-cube-wireless-speaker
I know these are quite small lifestyle speakers, but I would be interested to use these in a similar fashion to the auratones/avantone cubes, i.e. as a mixing reference for "bad" speakers. "Bad" for me does not necessarily include a nonlinear frequency response, I am aware however that there is a significant bandwidth limitation with only one 3 inch driver when comparing to full range speakers. I would be fine with a limited bandwidth from say 100Hz to 12kHz, but not with strong nonlinearities inside the available range. It could not find any frequency response for these speakers, and they don't cite the available range.

Any direct experience from a forum member?
The model 1 and 3 radios were very highly regarded by magazines in the 90s. They were the alt for the audiophile Bose haters. My wifes parents have a Tivoli 3. It sounds like a busted Sonos to me, but I have no measurements to back it up. They have a fun retro vibe for sure.

Edit: In fairness I never really pushed my in laws radio very hard. It was background music and played Van Morrison just fine. And it seemed to pick up most radio frequencies pretty good.

Last edited:

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The girls love model 1, and sound is decent for size :cool:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My parents and I both have Tivoli Model 1s. My overall feeling on them is they're very pleasant sounding "bad" speakers. I think they work within their limitations well.

I guess my opinion depends on what you want to do in terms of mixing. If you just want flat in the middle with no highs or lows, you can do that with EQ in your DAW. If you want to check mixes on something like your audience might use, then the cube might be a good bet, but then again, any mono lifestyle speaker you find on Craigslist is probably just as good for that task.

IMO the best thing to do is check the mix on any and every system you have access to. Headphones, TV speakers, car speakers, etc. I think having one 'bad' speaker reference is only a little better than not having one at all.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Tivoli, of course, was Henry Kloss's last commercial venture (after Cambridge SoundWorks, which, if memory serves, was purchased by Creative).
Kloss had a very longstanding interest in good quality FM table radios, and the Tivoli had much in common, at least in terms of aesthetics and operating "logic" (i.e., the vernier tuning dial) with his classic KLH 8 (vacuum tube) and 21 (solid state) table radios.

1711405092449.jpeg

(random internet photo from an eBAY auction of one - dust and all)

I never acquired one, but we gave our daughter a PAL (a blue one) when she matriculated into college (2002) and she still has and uses it. The battery pack's been replaced once.

I ahem do have a KLH 21 here, which needs new P/S filter electrolytic(s). Someday...
1711405561080.jpeg

Random photo of a KLH 21 in pretty good cosmetic condition.

Kloss also made a very similar radio, in two pieces, at Advent -- the Advent 400. I have part of one of those ;) -- not the matching loudspeaker, tho'.

I also ahem happen to have a gorgeous KLH 18 tuner here -- pretty much a 21 sans amp and speaker, which I mention only because it is the prettier of the two KLH FM radio/tuner pieces here, so I'm gonna show a photo of it instead of the 21. :facepalm:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tivoli, of course, was Henry Kloss's last commercial venture (after Cambridge SoundWorks, which, if memory serves, was purchased by Creative).
Kloss had a very longstanding interest in good quality FM table radios, and the Tivoli had much in common, at least in terms of aesthetics and operating "logic" (i.e., the vernier tuning dial) with his classic KLH 8 (vacuum tube) and 21 (solid state) table radios.

View attachment 359144
(random internet photo from an eBAY auction of one - dust and all)

I never acquired one, but we gave our daughter a PAL (a blue one) when she matriculated into college (2002) and she still has and uses it. The battery pack's been replaced once.

I ahem do have a KLH 21 here, which needs new P/S filter electrolytic(s). Someday...
View attachment 359148
Random photo of a KLH 21 in pretty good cosmetic condition.

Kloss also made a very similar radio, in two pieces, at Advent -- the Advent 400. I have part of one of those ;) -- not the matching loudspeaker, tho'.

I also ahem happen to have a gorgeous KLH 18 tuner here -- pretty much a 21 sans amp and speaker, which I mention only because it is the prettier of the two KLH FM radio/tuner pieces here, so I'm gonna show a photo of it instead of the 21. :facepalm:

Have one of the Tivoli Model One radios on my kitchen counter. Was out for a walk one day and next street over was a yard sale. Guy was selling stuff for his grandparents. His grandfather was a retired coal miner. There sits a Tivoli for $2. They also had a box of very nice wine glasses for $5. I ask about it, and guy says "yeah, supposed to be really good. Cost a lot I think." Said the same about the wine glasses. End of the day and he was packing up so nobody had bought the glasses or the radio in two days. I paid for them and toted them home. Both get regular use by me.

PS-don't think I didn't spy your Allison One speaker. :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Have one of the Tivoli Model One radios on my kitchen counter. Was out for a walk one day and next street over was a yard sale. Guy was selling stuff for his grandparents. His grandfather was a retired coal miner. There sits a Tivoli for $2. They also had a box of very nice wine glasses for $5. I ask about it, and guy says "yeah, supposed to be really good. Cost a lot I think." Said the same about the wine glasses. End of the day and he was packing up so nobody had bought the glasses or the radio in two days. I paid for them and toted them home. Both get regular use by me.

PS-don't think I didn't spy your Allison One speaker. :)
It wasn't trying to hide ;)
That said -- I probably should've cropped that photo. :facepalm:

Oh, I just noticed this nice comparison photo that google turned up, but which I managed to overlook completely. :confused:

1711410360774.jpeg

source: https://antiqueradio.org/KLHModelTwentyOne21FMRadio.htm

recycle

Yes, you better forget Tivoli junk: this is my opinion and it is exactly as valid as yours. If you like listening to music with a radio found as a gadget in Doritos bags, go ahead

riker1384

I have to dissent. I've had the Tivoli radios before. They look really cool and I wanted to like them, but the sound is not that great. It tries too hard with EQing the little 3-inch speaker. You end up with "impressive" but very boomy bass and rough treble. It sounds impressive but it's fatiguing to listen to. It works for some things, like classical at real low volume sounds kinda nice. Also the plastic front and back are flimsy and color the sound. You can hear midrange radiating out of the back but not as much out of the wood sides.

The Tivoli PAL portable radio sounds better. Not as much extension in the bass and treble, but smoother and less fatiguing. Reasonably pleasant sounding. The iSongbook has good clarity in the mids/highs and is good for talk radio but has zero bass so is no good for music.

Honestly the Bose Wave systems sound better. They're overly warm but not fatiguing like the Tivoli.

I haven't heard this new Tivoli "cube". But modern mainstream lifestyle speakers like Sonos and even some Bose are vastly better than any of the older Tivoli radios I've owned.

Penelinfi

I had a Tivoli model 3. Was ok for sound, on the warm side and as much as one can expect from a 3" off axis.

You can still love music while listening to it on lifestyle or premium radios

Somafunk

Major Contributor
If you like listening to music with a radio found as a gadget in Doritos bags, go ahead

Considering it came out 20+ years ago and is a design classic whilst sounding decent enough for a kitchen I’d say it’s pretty much perfect for its duties as a warm sounding occasional radio. ;)

recycle

@Putter I had a Tivoli speaker (now I gave it away), I know what I'm talking about. I don't understand why you have to take it personally if I say it has poor performance, in fact you should be grateful to me for sharing the experience. If you don't believe what I say, just read the reviews on Amazon and see for yourself
Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 3.05.54 AM.png

Somafunk

Major Contributor
@Putter I had a Tivoli speaker (now I gave it away), I know what I'm talking about. I don't understand why you have to take it personally if I say it has poor performance, in fact you should be grateful to me for sharing the experience. If you don't believe what I say, just read the reviews on Amazon and see for yourself
View attachment 359231

Perhaps you should link to the reviews of the different Tivoli product you have highlighted above which turns out to be a discontinued bluetooth speaker with a lamp, granted it is not a good product but this is why I imagine it is discontinued.

Link to amazon review of above unit

There are reviews for the Tivoli Audio Cube on Amazon UK here that complain that it uses 2.4GHz wifi and cannot connect to their 5GHz router so it is rubbish, perhaps these people do not understand that their 5GHz router can also use 2.4GHz, user error rears its ugly head yet again.

OP
H

Hausmeister

The unit @recycle links seems to be the same as the Cube, just with an added charger and lamp. The reviews talk bad about the bluetooth implementation and the charger, but the sound is mentioned as "pretty good", whatever that means. I don't need wifi or bluetooth, I would connect the Cube directly to the Aux In.

The general consensus seems to be that the Tivoli products sound ok (at least Model 1), but there is no one with direct experience with the Cube.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sorry no Trivoli but many others reviewed to get background or alternative. FYI

Top Bottom