• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioquest GO-4 Speaker Cable Review

Rate this cable:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 276 97.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazon has a great return policy, it is a legit way to shop and test out new gear, NP. Reviews from people that paid cash, cashtried a product, liked a product, and then even posted about it are about the best source of info out there. You don't think they would post if they felt they were gypped?
What fool wastes time "trying" cables? Seems you got suckered into the whole cable nonsense.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Amazon has a great return policy, it is a legit way to shop and test out new gear, NP. Reviews from people that paid cash, cashtried a product, liked a product, and then even posted about it are about the best source of info out there. You don't think they would post if they felt they were gypped?
Oh people post nonsense for all kinds of reason. None of it is scientifically correct unless they conducted for example this kind of tests.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't think they would post if they felt they were gypped?
Again the feelings. People are happy to believe all kinds of things, that doesn’t make it true. Besides, many, many reviews are fake. I really only trust the negative ones. Check out 8k HDMI cable reviews on Amazon. They are generally total nonsense. More than half of the cables are not capable of the claimed bandwidth, but you would not get that from reading the mostly positive reviews. You really have to find the few negative ones that point this out clearly.

kota1

PTA are you kidding. I asked for facts not dreamed up anecdotes.

There is plenty of info here on the forum, but I don’t get the feeling you are even remotely open to it and rather like to stick to your misguided beliefs. Fair enough, but just stop making those ridiculous claims without any proof whatsoever.
OK, I don't feel you are open to change either, that doesn't mean we can't disuss and be respectful.

kota1

Oh people post nonsense for all kinds of reason. None of it is scientifically correct unless they conducted for example this kind of tests.

I purchase stuff thet I like, I don't need any study to tell if it doesn't cut it in my room. You know when I heard high end speakers for the first time I couldn't go back to radio. If I had never had that experiece blind testing studies wouldn't have made me buy those speakers, I had to experience it myself.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I purchase stuff thet I like, I don't need any study to tell if it doesn't cut it in my room. You know when I heard high end speakers for the first time I couldn't go back to radio. If I had never had that experiece blind testing studies wouldn't have made me buy those speakers, I had to experience it myself.
Oh you can buy stuff all you like. Your choice to waste your money. Just don’t spread the anecdotes here and possibly enticing other people to waste their money too.

kota1

I am open to evidence, of which you haven’t provided any, nor ever will if I were to bet.
Don't ever spend your cash on anyone elses evidence, just form your own evidence though auditioning gear and by using retrun polices, NP.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Don't ever spend your cash on anyone elses evidence, just form your own evidence though auditioning gear and by using retrun polices, NP.
Did you watch the video I posted above on blind testing? I guess not.

You aren’t even providing evidence to your self either. You are simply fooling yourself with your biases. Every human has them. Your choice to be fooled by them though.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yet another example on the pathological behaviour of just signing up and jumping in on a tread and start bashing everyone and everything without any clue about this forum or the topic at hand urgh :(

We should have a signup procedure with lot of info and a test ?

Unground

We've all been there. At some point in time I knew with absolute certainty that my ears told the truth. Then I started realising how easily all my senses could be duped, either by external inputs (e.g. no end of optical illusions) or the internal operation of the brain (think of when you've been concentrating on a task and suddenly realise someone's been talking to you for a few minutes).

It is a big chasm to leap to accept that our brains are easily capable of dramatically changing the perception of stuff that comes in through any of our sensory organs. But it's true, and none of us are capable of defeating that. Doesn't matter what we want to believe, the facts are the facts and are well-documented.

As an example, look at how TVs or professional monitors are calibrated. Never by eye. Nobody, not reviewers, professional calibrators, installers or TV/film colourists calibrate their equipment by eye. Why? Surely they are expert. Surely they have the best vision, they have seen endless screens and they know what colours should look like. Surely they and they alone are the best judge of how they want things to look. Nope. Not a single person in this field trusts their own vision, because it is well-known that human vision and colour perception is so easy to fool. We would all swear blind that a piece of grey card against a brick wall was grey, then we'd put it against a white wall and find that the card had a clear tint. So professionals test and calibrate using measurement devices.

So if professionals think that vision (our primary sense) can be fooled, why does anyone think that their ears reliably tell them the truth in anything but a controlled test? Sounds a bit suspect right? And I didn't even mention the most powerful thing, perception bias, what we want to believe. As sad as it is to say, the posters above are right. We're all experts at deluding ourselves.

The simple 'pull on your big boy pants' facts are that nobody is different, nobody is special, nobody can defeat their brains and none of us can trust our senses to be anything more than an abstracted, post-processed impression of the external world.

And setting all that aside, a really simple question (as many others have pointed out) is why recording studios don't use any of these fancy cables? Because they engineer and measure.

So as hard as it is to accept, if a dispassionate piece of equipment shows zero difference between two pieces of kit, then there is no difference. Doesn't t matter how many people say otherwise as a result of their opinion. And of course this is why all these amazing differences drop away under controlled test conditions.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I go by numbers, 1 or 2 reviews, meh. 100 or 200, legit.

I can get lots of testimonials for miracle spring water. Do you have any skepticism?

Eq2PQRoyzqkLfgpqqAJcG0ksZFYCxhf-0f7hGtn9Z14.jpg

Does medical imaging equipment or military radar or anything else that uses signal cables need regular upgrading too? Do they wear out? Do they need burn-in?

The alternative to all this nonsense is to learn how these elements interact so you aren't subject to being taken advantage of with a story. Ignorance can be cured. This is basic physics.

Without actual evidence to back your claims, you are just repeating marketing propaganda.

kota1

We've all been there. At some point in time I knew with absolute certainty that my ears told the truth. Then I started realising how easily all my senses could be duped, either by external inputs (e.g. no end of optical illusions) or the internal operation of the brain (think of when you've been concentrating on a task and suddenly realise someone's been talking to you for a few minutes).

It is a big chasm to leap to accept that our brains are easily capable of dramatically changing the perception of stuff that comes in through any of our sensory organs. But it's true, and none of us are capable of defeating that. Doesn't matter what we want to believe, the facts are the facts and are well-documented.

As an example, look at how TVs or professional monitors are calibrated. Never by eye. Nobody, not reviewers, professional calibrators, installers or TV/film colourists calibrate their equipment by eye. Why? Surely they are expert. Surely they have the best vision, they have seen endless screens and they know what colours should look like. Surely they and they alone are the best judge of how they want things to look. Nope. Not a single person in this field trusts their own vision, because it is well-known that human vision and colour perception is so easy to fool. We would all swear blind that a piece of grey card against a brick wall was grey, then we'd put it against a white wall and find that the card had a clear tint. So professionals test and calibrate using measurement devices.

So if professionals think that vision (our primary sense) can be fooled, why does anyone think that their ears reliably tell them the truth in anything but a controlled test? Sounds a bit suspect right? And I didn't even mention the most powerful thing, perception bias, what we want to believe. As sad as it is to say, the posters above are right. We're all experts at deluding ourselves.

The simple 'pull on your big boy pants' facts are that nobody is different, nobody is special, nobody can defeat their brains and none of us can trust our senses to be anything more than an abstracted, post-processed impression of the external world.

And setting all that aside, a really simple question (as many others have pointed out) is why recording studios don't use any of these fancy cables? Because they engineer and measure.

So as hard as it is to accept, if a dispassionate piece of equipment shows zero difference between two pieces of kit, then there is no difference. Doesn't t matter how many people say otherwise as a result of their opinion. And of course this is why all these amazing differences drop away under controlled test conditions.
I can't agree that we have ALL been there, my senses are fine, I actually get them tested. If they were faulty I would deal with it appropriately. There is no chasm in audio, there is a remote so I don't have to walk the chasm between my chair and my stereo. If you feel nobody is different I can't help you how YOU feel. I am different than you, would you agree?

kota1

I can get lots of testimonials for miracle spring water. Do you have any skepticism?

View attachment 234269

Does medical imaging equipment or military radar or anything else that uses signal cables need regular upgrading too? Do they wear out? Do they need burn-in?

The alternative to all this nonsense is to learn how these elements interact so you aren't subject to being taken advantage of with a story. Ignorance can be cured. This is basic physics.

Without actual evidence to back your claims, you are just repeating marketing propaganda.

uh huh.... I'm done. No saving this one.
How are the hundreds of people that bought a product, tried a product, and liked it enough to post a good review wrong and the person that never tried the product (unless you care to share) right?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
How are the hundreds of people that bought a product, tried a product, and liked it enough to post a good review wrong...

Have you called for your miracle spring water yet?

...and the person that never tried the product (unless you care to share) right?

It's not about right and wrong, it's about understanding what has meaning and what doesn't. Without evidence to support claims, they aren't worth much.

Top Bottom