• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioquest GO-4 Speaker Cable Review

Rate this cable:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 276 97.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters

kota1

Yet another example on the pathological behaviour of just signing up and jumping in on a tread and start bashing everyone and everything without any clue about this forum or the topic at hand urgh :(

We should have a signup procedure with lot of info and a test ?
I am not bashing, you can't buy the product that is the subject of this review, Audioquest has replaced it with newer tech.

kota1

Have you called for your miracle spring water yet?

It's not about right and wrong, it's about understanding what has meaning and what doesn't. Without evidence to support claims, they aren't worth much.
Whose or what evidence? I posted a review from the PTA who lived with a product for months, treied many different HDMI cables to find what worked best for his equipment. Then I posted a link to amazon customers (hundreds of customers) that liked audioquest.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Whose or what evidence? I posted a review from the PTA who lived with a product for months, treied many different HDMI cables to find what worked best for his equipment. Then I posted a link to amazon customers (hundreds of customers) that liked audioquest.
Those are stories, not evidence.

That many HDMI cables don't work is no surprise, a great many don't work with the specified bandwidth, yet get rave reviews at Amazon nevertheless.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Right. Any with basic sight and level controls?

Did you see the video posted earlier?

As Gordon Holt himself said:

"Audio as a hobby is dying, largely by its own hand. As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. [This refusal] is a source of endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual embarrassment for me, because I am associated by so many people with the mess my disciples made of spreading my gospel."
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...36254/#:~:text=Audio as a,spreading my gospel.

Unground

I can't agree that we have ALL been there, my senses are fine, I actually get them tested. If they were faulty I would deal with it appropriately. There is no chasm in audio, there is a remote so I don't have to walk the chasm between my chair and my stereo. If you feel nobody is different I can't help you how YOU feel. I am different than you, would you agree?
Nope. You are no different than me or anyone else. Your senses are fine I am sure, as are mine. So is your brain, and it's your brain that tells you what you sense, not the sensory organs. I'm not saying anything to the detriment of your senses, rather that we all are very easily duped by our very clever pattern-recognising brains and we need to take care to remove many confounding factors if we want to make sure that what we think we are seeing or hearing is actually what is there. Face value does not work, no matter how sure we are.

As an easy experiment, look at a Vivid setting on a TV. You will swear that the white you are seeing is accurate white. It isn't. It has a heavy blue tint because our eyes see that as brighter. Flip to Filmmaker mode or similar and whites will look yellow (because Filmmaker mode conforms to industry standards that define video white as a piece of white paper on a sunny day). Give it a few minutes and the whites will again look white, and you will swear they are white. The two 'whites' are totally different, but your brain sees them as the same after a few minutes of acclimatisation.

If anyone says 'I know what I heard', what they really mean is 'I know what I think I heard'. If someone claims other than that, well, they must leap tall buildings in a single bound because no other human is capable of it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How are the hundreds of people that bought a product, tried a product, and liked it enough to post a good review wrong and the person that never tried the product (unless you care to share) right?
Because they were easily fooled? Happens not only in audio....it was what well over a hundred years ago the phrase "one's born every minute" was coined to describe such....altho with the higher populations now its probably more like one every second?

fyton2v

I really hate imaginary tech. A long time ago I used A BUNCH of monster cable products. High end speaker wire, sub woofer cable, digital coax, etc. I had this stuff because a buddy of mine sent me a big box of it for free. It had to be around $1000 dollars in Monster product, which he also got for free. It worked fine, fwiw. To this day, I still display my favorite Monster Cable item in my office at work. It was far and away the best thing in that box. Still in its original package, I have a Monster Cable "High Speed Modem Cable". Not a cable modem coax connection ... it's a cable for an old school MODEM. That's a telephone wire, people. They were charging $20 for short length of RJ11 telephone wire. To me, that thing is absolutely hilarious and an exemplar for this whole magical wire segment of the hi-fi industry.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Don't ever spend your cash on anyone elses evidence, just form your own evidence though auditioning gear and by using retrun polices, NP.
I really feel sorry for folks like you. Instead of sitting back and enjoying music, you keep worrying about the most mundane things like how your wires sound! Learn to take some things for granted. You know, like how you don't worry about the bolts that are holding your engine together while driving. Base your audio decisions on science and engineering and you become free of such anguish.

I suspect it won't be long until folks like you worry about your sock color impacting the sound you hear.....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply, OK, here is an example of a reviewer breaking in a component, the Mcintosh MX100 processor for a few months and then testing some new Audioquest Dragon 48 HDMI cables:
The only thing he breaks is wind. (the sound coming out his rectum) LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I go by numbers, 1 or 2 reviews, meh. 100 or 200, legit.
Millions of folk watched David Copperfield make a Boeing 747 disappear off the runway both in person and on TV.
Every single one can tell you they seen it with their own eyes.
But did it really happen ??????????????????
Don't ever spend your cash on anyone elses evidence, just form your own evidence though auditioning gear and by using retrun polices
You really don't need to get burned by touching something to see if it's hot, there are a number of dependable tools to measure that with.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really feel sorry for folks like you. Instead of sitting back and enjoying music, you keep worrying about the most mundane things like how your wires sound! Learn to take some things for granted. You know, like how you don't worry about the bolts that are holding your engine together while driving. Base your audio decisions on science and engineering and you become free of such anguish.

I suspect it won't be long until folks like you worry about your sock color impacting the sound you hear.....
These folks will never change. Too much invested both financially and emotionally.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Worse: touching a very cold object can also appear to feel hot.
And burn you too!
These folks will never change. Too much invested both financially and emotionally.
We are winning hearts and minds every day.
I keep an eye on both sides and have seen a large shift in the numbers of folks to the objective side, along with the paranoia I read in the subjective media both print and web based. Also having some major manufactures like D-M working with ASR to improve their products shows we (the objective crew) matter more every day.
Almost to a man, our members here started out as believers but some event in their journey caused them to question the audiophool religion.
No one can see in the dark till someone turns on the lights.
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades. ;)

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A pair of old cables Audioquest cables, no longer in production get a bad review and is anyone really really surprised? If you want performance you need to get NEW cables on loan from a DEALER who has a return policy. Then, after around 100 hours of brek in, go for it. Cables are easily tested with a ABX Comparator from Van Alstine audio. Cables are system dependent and I could care less how they "measure" in a test lab if they sound bad in my listening room. If you want to try an audioquest speaker cable start at the top with the Dragon or Firebird line, let it breakin for 100 hours and then LISTEN for a few weeks. Take it out and see if you miss it, if not return for a refund and repaet until you are happy. I could care less if it measure perfect in a lab and doesn't cut the mustard in the only test that matters, my listening experience. Is that too difficult a task?

Nice. I break in my cables too. I mean, who wouldn't?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you mean the amplifier tests, I tried it both ways with a real speaker and dummy load. Results were the same. I post the dummy one. Without the amp, it is very hard to get a working setup due to termination.
Hi @amirm, maybe I'm not following. A real speaker (or reactive dummy load), should present the amplifier output with a reactive load that can be characterized by LCR parameters. When there's a speaker cable in between the amp and the speaker (or dummy load), it adds additional LCR properties to that amplifier output.

The expected electrical measurement result of a sine sweep, in the setting of a cable + speaker, should be that of a flat line with minor deviations in the measured FR that correspond to variations in the speaker's (or dummy load's) impedance curve. The deviations (particularly in the last octave) are often +/-0.5dB or less for ~12 gauge cable and shorter runs, such as those reported in Davis, JAES 1991;39:461-468, figure 12 below.

I think others on ASR have modeled the FR of a cable+speaker "circuit" using typical LCR values using simulation software, and achieved similar results.
1664838694108.png

This is why I'm confused as to why you're not also seeing these small FR deviations, when measuring the output of an audio amplifier with an actual loudspeaker load (with the cable of interest in between), because even in the case of a perfect cable (0 ohms, 0 uF, 0 mH), you should still see some deviation just from a loudspeaker load.

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
It’s not about experience, it’s about cold hard facts. And these say that break-in of cables doesn’t exist.
If a cable did break in, what about the cable is it that changes during the break in period?

Top Bottom