• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioquest GO-4 Speaker Cable Review

Rate this cable:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 276 97.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters

DonR

Major Contributor
As much as we like to think we are impartial judges of what we hear, we can never escape our own biases except through rigorously controlled testing. It's not easy or straightforward to compare devices that may have nearly imperceptible sonic differences.

egellings

Major Contributor
...and as soon as the music starts playing, those differences become inaudible.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think any differences in "soundstage" are likely the result of one amp playing louder than the other through the specific speakers.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
yes i understand it comes from the recordings
however in my exprience some amplifiers will help to produce better imaging and soundsatge
Of course some will, because it depends on the overall quality of the output. The current the amp is able to drive (for current heavy headphones/speakers), frequency response, impedance response, etc
There are lots of factors (but not as many as some think) that determine the quality of the overall output.

LugsyTL47

I wish high end cable/interconnect companies made garden hoses, then when I turn on outdoor water tap I would get “warmer” water out of the nozzle….

Last edited:

Mozi

I wish high end cable/interconnect companies made garden hoses, then when I turn on outdoor water tap I would “warmer” water out of the nozzle….
"After raising the hose above the ground using the new magnetically diffuse silver-laced carbon stands, I was stunned by the increased transparency of the water."

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish high end cable/interconnect companies made garden hoses, then when I turn on outdoor water tap I would “warmer” water out of the nozzle….
Heck, you might not even need a tap!

nebunebu

I recall visiting a Hifi store 2-3 years ago. The owner told me about a super high end speaker cable that was aimed for Hong Kong Hi-fi market (20 000$ something was the unit price). The feedback they received was: "The cable works well and it sounds great, no problem at all. But the price is a bit to cheap."

Hearing this I understood that to some it's about luxury and showing wealth.

Barry_Sound

One way to test cables and put all doubts to rest would be an A/B recording in an anechoic chamber trough very good speakers and a high end measurement mic. It should tell us something that manufacturers dont provide such tests though...

kota1

A pair of old cables Audioquest cables, no longer in production get a bad review and is anyone really really surprised? If you want performance you need to get NEW cables on loan from a DEALER who has a return policy. Then, after around 100 hours of brek in, go for it. Cables are easily tested with a ABX Comparator from Van Alstine audio. Cables are system dependent and I could care less how they "measure" in a test lab if they sound bad in my listening room. If you want to try an audioquest speaker cable start at the top with the Dragon or Firebird line, let it breakin for 100 hours and then LISTEN for a few weeks. Take it out and see if you miss it, if not return for a refund and repaet until you are happy. I could care less if it measure perfect in a lab and doesn't cut the mustard in the only test that matters, my listening experience. Is that too difficult a task?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One way to test cables and put all doubts to rest would be an A/B recording in an anechoic chamber trough very good speakers and a high end measurement mic. It should tell us something that manufacturers dont provide such tests though...
You don’t need such elaborate tests. The tests Amir does tell you all there is. And the speaker no matter how good it is will always affect the sound by several orders of magnitude more than any electronics, let alone a few feet of cable.

Besides. No matter what test you do, there will always be people defending their unfounded beliefs and manufacturers trying to protect their profits.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Then, after around 100 hours of brek in, go for it.
If it needs 100 hours of break in, how come it doesn't come with a counter for that? Or at least change color or something like PH meter strips do.

Is this a time thing alone? What if I play rock and you play classical? They still break in "around 100 hours?" If so, how does that make any sense?

What if the cable sounds really bad and your brain gets tired of the distortions around 100 hours and tunes them out?

What if I just use them as lamp cord and power my amp with it? Would it break in sooner? You would think so, no?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you want performance you need to get NEW cables on loan from a DEALER who has a return policy.
My ethics are higher than that turn brand new cables into used ones at the expense of the dealer. You are welcome to do that to them and send them in for testing and then return. But don't ask me to do it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A pair of old cables Audioquest cables, no longer in production get a bad review and is anyone really really surprised?
We are not surprised. Strange that you think a cable has a fixed lifetime though. How many hours is that?

kota1

My ethics are higher than that turn brand new cables into used ones at the expense of the dealer. You are welcome to do that to them and send them in for testing and then return. But don't ask me to do it.
How is reviewing equipment no one can buy new any more, that has been used used under who knows what conditions, a good use of your time? I don't get it, plenty of new stuff is available. I am not asking you to do anything, just noting the obvious here.

kota1

We are not surprised. Strange that you think a cable has a fixed lifetime though. How many hours is that?
Its not that the cable has a lifetime, it has been surpassed by new tech. It is the same with any piece of electronics and if someone prefers vintage gear, that is a different topic altogether.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Its not that the cable has a lifetime, it has been surpassed by new tech.
So people who bought these cables and thought it improved their sound was imagining it?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How is reviewing equipment no one can buy new any more, that has been used used under who knows what conditions, a good use of your time? I don't get it, plenty of new stuff is available. I am not asking you to do anything, just noting the obvious here.

Just to see how stuff performs, what other reason do you need? Who cares if it's new stuff (which isn't likely to be any different anyways)?
Its not that the cable has a lifetime, it has been surpassed by new tech. It is the same with any piece of electronics and if someone prefers vintage gear, that is a different topic altogether.
What new tech? Cables aren't electronics.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is the same with any piece of electronics and if someone prefers vintage gear, that is a different topic altogether.
Vintage? This cable was being sold 6 to 7 years ago. Do you all rebuy cables that new?

kota1

So people who bought these cables and thought it improved their sound was imaginingthi
The people who bought these cables and got a benefit are 100% correct. Audioquest makes great stuff. It is just like anything else, Moores law applies to audio gear as well. That is why Audioquest (and just about all audio companies) come up with new tech, they need to keep up or be left behind. I have Audioquest power cords on the amps I use for my surround speakers, you are reminding me it is time for an upgradThey are old, but for my surrounds I have just let it be.

Top Bottom