• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics DA-S250NC DAC & Power Amp Review

Rate this Amplifier and DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 7.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 169 64.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 67 25.6%

• Total voters

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
for that money is about as good as you're going to get IF you need that set of features

to me that fact that its digital only kind of kneecaps it

what if i want an MQA dac? (like if you were completely brain damaged)

who is to say that those digital inputs will forever be all you need... with an rca input you at least have an out (so to speak)

Eldus

Thanks for the review.
The DAC level was intentionally limited because as a digital amplifier, we felt it was comfortable knowing that with maximum signal (0dB), and maximum volume, you reach the max power (or almost), without distortion .
I would love to see a product like this but with crossover capability at the DAC level for the Pre Out to allow for subwoofer integration.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think for basic something like Topping MX3s would suffice
These are not the same class of product - this unit is a clear cut above the MX3s in both measurements and aesthetics/build quality while maintaining a very reasonable price.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really looks nice, doesn't it? And it provides plenty of clean power and a quality DAC in a compact economical package. Certainly would work well with something like R3's or LS 50 Metas or even Revel 208's. Can even use a sub if you don't mind that it has no high pass filter.

Just a compact, high value, attractive, performant product. If you can live half a step back from edge of the art, definitely a good way to go.

Ajax

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review Amir.

My personal preference is to keep the DAC and amp separate, and add more features to the DAC such as DSP and increase the number of inputs so it becomes a true preamp.

Amir has constantly advocated the critical importance of DSP in his speaker reviews, no more so than in his recent "Example of Speaker Measurements" video, wherein he applies DSP to a poor measuring Klipsch RP 600M speaker with stunning results.... 13.50 mins into the video.

The mini DSP Flex ($550 balanced) combined with a Hypex 252 ($570) amp, although more expensive offers much better value IMO from an overall system perspective, as DSP allows you to spend less money on your speakers

e.g. a pair of Revel M105 book shelf speakers integrated properly with a pair of high quality second hand 10" subs (you don't need to spend much) can get you very close to SOTA for a system total of less than $3k.

I purchased the 252 from Buckeye and the clarity is stunning. With 250W into 4ohms there is plenty of power. Archimago carried out an in-depth review of the 252 declaring it to be "all you need" in an amplifier..... his attitude being that you can get better measuring amps with more power but it's simply not required and the 252 will provide true fidelity.

"this amplifier is a nice example of high-fidelity in the real world of the 21st Century - potentially unassuming devices that can provide beautifully clean, empty, sonic canvases upon which the "colours", noise, "grunge", and harmonics of your music arises from with ease."

Crazy for that sort of money when compared to the cost of audio jewellery.

ocinn

Seems like a great product with great value. The only thing that leaves me scratching my head is the lack of an analog input. There is no way it would have increased the BOM more than $10, and I think everyone, even people who use exclusively digital sources would be happy to pay $30-50 more for just having the flexibility of an analog input.

Unless I'm missing something, not really sure why you'd choose this over the $150 cheaper Sabaj A30a, which actually has real subwoofer management (hi-pass), which would beat this product in SINAD, and outputs the same power with flawless linearity and frequency independence (assuming, worst case, it matches the SMSL V2 sister product)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
not really sure why you'd choose this over the $150 cheaper Sabaj A30a, which actually has real subwoofer management (hi-pass), which would beat this product in SINAD, and outputs the same power with flawless linearity and frequency independence (assuming, worst case, it matches the SMSL V2 sister product)
Can you link me to a like model test review?

ocinn

Can you link me to a like model test review?
Sister Product (SMSL V2)

Sabaj A30a Release Thread

Lots of good reading there, I went through half of it the other day. Chronicles technical specs and firmware progress (adding hi-pass, fixing bugs etc...). There is heavy speculation that Sabaj fixed the analog ADC input issues the V2 has. But we won't know until someone reputable measures it.

Edit: I also firmly believe that these "Power DAC" style amplifiers are the future, for everything from standalone units to exotic active speakers. So on principle, if I hadn't taken the active speaker pill ages ago, I'd like to buy into the market to help encourage development.

Last edited:

Fontie

Thanks for the review.
The DAC level was intentionally limited because as a digital amplifier, we felt it was comfortable knowing that with maximum signal (0dB), and maximum volume, you reach the max power (or almost), without distortion .
any plans to do streamer/dac/hypex all in one?

Fontie

To be honest, I think we don't deserve Audiophonics.

Countless cool and top performing home made DIY gadgets for a fair price with instructions and honest specs.
Is the go-to adress in EU for super high performing ChiFi if you don't want to go through Shenzhenaudio.

Incredibly fast shipping in Europe and has a super nice loyalty points policy that can be transformed into direct price reductions for new orders.

They are a godsend for ASR-folks in Europe.
agreed i have already bought 2 of their amps, customer service is amazing aswell

ocinn

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
This preout (or variable line out) can be used as a subwoofer out (using a Y-cable if the sub has a mono input). Any subwoofer should have a low pass filter.
Not sure you can use Y-cable to sum L and R output to mono. Maybe I am mistaken but that might damage the unit.

Bleib

Major Contributor
These are not the same class of product - this unit is a clear cut above the MX3s in both measurements and aesthetics/build quality while maintaining a very reasonable price.
It's a more powerful one for sure, but do we know it's audibly better? For secondary systems this seems way overkill

Multicore

Major Contributor
So there is none engineering from audiophonics. How can this be compared with dCS ( or Nagra, or Merging, or Cambridge Audio....)which relies on it`s own designs and patents. Do you see the difference?
Most so-called innovation is exactly like this including, these days, most patents. Truly surprising new design are, when you look carefully, the exception, not the rule.

ocinn

Yes exactly - like if you want to connect a headphone amp.
RCA Splitter should work just fine. Or a switch box. There have been a few tested on here that would be transparent to this DAC's performance. Splitter is the best option, assuming a component doesn't throw a fit due to some impedance issue (doubt it).

respice finem

Major Contributor
RCA Splitter should work just fine. Or a switch box. There have been a few tested on here that would be transparent to this DAC's performance. Splitter is the best option, assuming a component doesn't throw a fit due to some impedance issue (doubt it).
But then you have two volume controls: one in the amp and another one in the HPA. First world problem, sure...

Top Bottom