• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics DA-S250NC DAC & Power Amp Review

Rate this Amplifier and DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 7.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 169 64.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 67 25.6%

• Total voters

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The DAC level was intentionally limited because as a digital amplifier, we felt it was comfortable knowing that with maximum signal (0dB), and maximum volume, you reach the max power (or almost), without distortion .
If that's the goal, why not to output 2V at 0dB attenuator and set the attenuator to reach only 0.8V by default (-7.8dB) ?
Then the customer may choose.
Or integrate an internal jumper for the same purpose.

Last edited:

Oldasdrt

Thanks for the review.
The DAC level was intentionally limited because as a digital amplifier, we felt it was comfortable knowing that with maximum signal (0dB), and maximum volume, you reach the max power (or almost), without distortion .
Looks like a really great product
good to see high quality at a reasonable cost

kopczas

Not that of a mystery.
Is it just me but in many cases european audio products look like assembled DIY project? Is there anything beside enclosure design that was engineered by audiophonics? DAC board is something I`d probably seen on aliexpress...

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it just me but in many cases european audio products look like assembled DIY project?
Ok... Yes, it absolutely is just you. :rolleyes:

This specific product is effectively made by a dealer (more an "assembler" of existing modules, than a regular manufacturer) to offer the best bargain possible.

For the rest of (plenty of) EU Audio brands, you really need to learn... Like a lot. ;)

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
A modern amp for a good price. I like it.

Adding a headphone out. And have 2V on the preouts would be cool.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it just me but in many cases european audio products look like assembled DIY project?
It is you :)

• Linn
  • Naim
  • Audio Note
  • Quad
  • Arcam
  • Cyrus
  • Audiolab
  • Cambridge Audio
  • Storm Audio
  • Roksan
  • dCS
  • Bang & Olufsen
  • Vincent
  • Nagra
  • AVM
  • German Physiks
  • Trinnov
  • Etc., etc.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To be honest, I think we don't deserve Audiophonics.

Countless cool and top performing home made DIY gadgets for a fair price with instructions and honest specs.
Is the go-to adress in EU for super high performing ChiFi if you don't want to go through Shenzhenaudio.

Incredibly fast shipping in Europe and has a super nice loyalty points policy that can be transformed into direct price reductions for new orders.

They are a godsend for ASR-folks in Europe.

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is you :)

• Linn
  • Naim
  • Audio Note
  • Quad
  • Arcam
  • Cyrus
  • Audiolab
  • Cambridge Audio
  • Storm Audio
  • Roksan
  • dCS
  • Bang & Olufsen
  • Vincent
  • Nagra
  • AVM
  • German Physiks
  • Trinnov
  • Etc., etc.
Focal
Dynaudio
Cabasse
Genelec
Kii
Sonus Faber
KEF
Neumann
Monitor Audio
Bowers & Wilkins
Triangle
DALI
Canton
Burmester
Dutch & Dutch

Lots of "DIY" European speakers...

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Focal
Dynaudio
Cabasse
Genelec
Kii
Sonus Faber
KEF
Neumann
Monitor Audio
Bowers & Wilkins
Triangle
Canton
Burmester
Dutch & Dutch

Lots of "DIY" European speakers...
As the question was aimed at an amplifier in review I specifically omitted the speaker only manufacturers.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Is it just me but in many cases european audio products look like assembled DIY project? Is there anything beside enclosure design that was engineered by audiophonics? DAC board is something I`d probably seen on aliexpress...
I must be you cause these (example) doesn't look very diy to me:

Products.jpg

inside.jpg

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Audiophonics DA-S250NC class D amplifier (hypex NC252MP) and stereo DAC/Bluetooth. It was requested by a member and supplied by the company. It costs 582,50 € (tax excluded) (US$641).
View attachment 283175

A version of this with higher performance DAC and amplifier would be just dandy! :)

Or just stay in their own lane! Let people choose their own DACs, since there are so many choices nowadays at affordable prices and with different sizes down to dongle size. There isn't much reason(s) to have one build in any more. Integrated amp is still, and should just be amps, albeit with preamp build in to fit the name/term.:D

Multicore

Major Contributor
Let's switch the load now from 8 to 2 ohm while also changing the phase angle as to represent capacitive and inductive loads:
Audiophonics DA-S250NC Stereo Amplifier Complex Power Testing Measurements.png

Would be good to have some text on this image stating the horizontal scale: maximum output power per channel in Watts, I guess.

I'm still unsure how to interpret this complex load data. I can guess that all bars being the same length would be ideal but I've no idea if variations, for example those in this graph, represent a deficiency real-world operation and if so, what it would be like for users.

BarryTone

New member here and I’d like to start by saying thank you Amir for all that you do.

As impressive as this product is, it does not seem to be a SONOS killer. Although I don’t own the SONOS Amp, I’d be hard-pressed to give up HDMI ARC, a streamer with a wealth of options, TruePlay room correction, the SONOS ecosystem with the ability to add WiFi speakers, and the ability to synch multiple amps together for whole house audio with the app. If you are streaming only or using the digital input, the SINAD is identical to the SONOS amp and the power is similar as is the price. I’m no audiophile so forgive me if I’m missing something.

DTTOM37

@amirm
Great work, thank you !I
Would it possible to have measurements for the Coax input?
From my listening experience with the "DAW" unit, I would assume this could be the "cleanest" of the 4 digital inputs.
The Qualcomm QCC5125 on the DAC board seems to be not too bad neither, for a Bluetooth input.
Best, Tom

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
Good to have it verified that it offers solid performance

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
If this had a headphone jack, it would be a perfect replacement for all the gear in my home office. It would look hilariously small on the equipment rack by itself, though.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Layman here. Glad to see this manufacturer/ assembler in Europe.
However, as it lands near RN803D in the comparison chart and I do just fine with 2x100w, I am happy with the Yamaha, got it at same price (around eur 700,tax inuded) plus the goodies.

Top Bottom