• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Audibility thresholds of amp and DAC measurements

luft262

Where could I find a brief and simple guide that explains each of the tests and what they mean? Thanks.

OP
F

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning

wwenze

I should try recording the output from a China TDA1543 DAC that measures around 0.3% IIRC. Any nomination for the music?

S34MH1

In 'Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms' Floyd Toole says the following: "The simplest deviation from flat is probably a spectral tilt. There is some evidence that we can detect slopes of about 0.1 dB/octave, which translates into a 1 dB tilt from 20 Hz to 20 kHz — not much."

"If the FR rises by 0.05 dB in one area and drops by 0.05 dB in another, the total discrepancy will be 0.1 dB."

Frequency response: ±0.05dB
Channel balance: 0.1dB

Am i right?

Robbo99999

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In 'Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms' Floyd Toole says the following: "The simplest deviation from flat is probably a spectral tilt. There is some evidence that we can detect slopes of about 0.1 dB/octave, which translates into a 1 dB tilt from 20 Hz to 20 kHz — not much."

"If the FR rises by 0.05 dB in one area and drops by 0.05 dB in another, the total discrepancy will be 0.1 dB."

Frequency response: ±0.05dB
Channel balance: 0.1dB

Am i right?
(Is that anything to do with this thread? Not read back through the pages)

But he's talking about a 1dB tilt all the way from 20Hz to 20kHz being audible, not a 0.1dB tilt across that same range. And you're only going to hear those differences if it's a consistent tilt, not just some random +/-1dB variation across the whole range.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
(Is that anything to do with this thread? Not read back through the pages)

But he's talking about a 1dB tilt all the way from 20Hz to 20kHz being audible, not a 0.1dB tilt across that same range. And you're only going to hear those differences if it's a consistent tilt, not just some random +/-1dB variation across the whole range.

He said "0,1dB/octave" and that's not same as 0,1dB tilt across that same range :) 0,1dB/octave arrive at a 1dB difference @20Hz/20kHz..

Robbo99999.png

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He said "0,1dB/octave" and that's not same as 0,1dB tilt across that same range :) 0,1dB/octave arrive at a 1dB difference @20/20kHz..

View attachment 143140
Yeah, that's cool, I understand that (already). But I don't see how it relates to amp specs for the other points I highlighted in my previous post, ie +/-0.05dB in an amp spec is gonna mean random variation across the whole spectrum from 20Hz-20000Hz - so that's not a "tilt" phenomenon (and certainly not in reference to over an octave). So @S34MH1 is comparing apples to oranges.

Top Bottom