• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Atoll DAC200 Signature - Review & Measurements (DAC)

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What could have happened here? So far, I would set up three hypotheses. 1) The DAC200 Signature performs exactly as it should. Atoll designed and tweaked it only by ears and finds that it sounds accordingly to what they wanted to. Then, I wonder why they are publishing any performance specs at all. By the way, all of them are plain wrong. THD+N, SNR and DR certainly are. In fact, even output voltage is: they say "2.25Vrms", while we get 4.66V with XLR and 2.34V through RCA. 2) They wanted to design a device, performing as advertised, but they simply have no clue about how to engineer it. Pity, then, not to mention at that price... 3) This particular unit I have my hands on is faulty. Honestly, I do not buy it, but... Then, I wonder how such a thing would have happened. How a 1800€ DAC would be able to leave the factory without any care for quality control? I do see in their published Manufacturing Process that they seem to check the quality control by... listening? I have no issue with that, but, would you guys at Atoll care to also measure? Definitely you should1​

1) Probably just threw in the parts, prayed that it worked, sound actually came out on all I/Os and done was rev 1.0 for shipping. The specs were extracted from the main DSP and/or in the hopes that no one will check measure their stuff - and if someone did they could photoshop a measurement image. At least that's what I would do if I didn't give a damn.
2) That ... would be kind of cute considering it's an older company with a name. They should have at least one person being able to read IC documentations and make measurements.
3) I doubt it, either there would be no sound coming out on some I/Os or it is as working as designed. Can't imagine the 9028 PRO being NOT picky about it's inputs and control cirtcuitry.

My recommendation would be that those companies get at least one QA measurement device and everything would be fine. Maybe not just for QA but for the whole factory.
Btw, super cool review.

Edit: Dunno if I made a wrong connection in my mind, but when I see big resistors like those being used for DIY projects on breaboard I also usually see bad performance in some or all sections. Is that right or can those be also very clean?

Last edited:

JRG

What a mess :facepalm:
It is difficult to make it worse. I would almost say they have put a lot of effort into get that mess.

Jochen

Still looks and measures much better than the Totaldac-d1-six ! But comparing to the $80 SMSL SU-1, it's already getting very embarrasing.

threni

Major Contributor
To paraphrase Spinal Tap:
'What day did the Lord create the Atoll DAC200, and couldn't he have rested on that day too?'"

alekksander

okay okay… but they still win for the best looking logotype in hi–fi world!

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Great Review @VintageFlanker. I especially love your Summary Table at the front of the Review. Upping your game Sir! :cool:

jam

Time for my two cents: This is the worst DAC I ever measured, regardless of the price and class. Period. The DAC200 Signature is acting way off its own specifications, and I find no excuse whatsoever that could explain it. In a perfect world, local manufacturing, if paired with competent design, should be an assurance of an actually good product to buy. In that case, it is not, since it seems like the second requirement is lacking. What a bummer.​

Flanker rating: Failing Grade
Remarkable detective work and review VintageFlanker. Congratulations! Too bad, I always kind of had a soft spot for Atoll gear over the years. I don't recall having personally seen any of their gear been measured. Quite disappointing... Quel dommage!

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So on the one hand we have companies with very good technical skills that seem to ignore any hints regarding the case, number of inputs, on the other hand companies that produce great looking products, full of useful functions and inputs but which are technically absolute rubbish.
But why not do a collaboration?

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still looks and measures much better than the Totaldac-d1-six
Hum, nope. The D1-Six is actually measuring better. ;)
Totaldac D1-six DAC and Streamer Audio Measurements.png
Totaldac D1-six DAC and Streamer Multitone Audio Measurements (1).png

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:eek::eek::eek:
What a waste of technology and money.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks for another great review, @VintageFlanker . Regarding the DAC….. beautiful outside, horribly broken inside!! c'est la vie…

Bleib

Major Contributor

devopsprodude

Thanks for posting that. I can't believe there are trim pots in there. Those are going to get noisy over time and at any rate, are a crude way to design things in this day and age. I am also puzzled about the IC with DIP socket! Did they reach in a bag of parts from 40 years ago??? The output stages are discrete transistors so maybe don't have good feedback.
Yeah, this seems like a product designed for the way things were 20 years ago. Sure, some people still need a lot of legacy (toslink, etc) inputs, but most people would be better served by at least one HDMI input (or 5 at this price point). Shameful that any company produces products in this day and age with no apparent awareness that sites like this WILL check their equipment against published specs. Especially so at this price point. Absolute garbage.

Graham849

Forum Donor
Thanks @VintageFlanker. Makes me very happy and even more content with my SMSL DO100 purchase. Too many inputs and confusing component choices. Interestingly I run the DO100 RCA output across the room to an Atoll Pr100 preamp that I use as a headphone amp

Top Bottom