• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Atmos finally decoded in PC/Mac

himey

Now you made me unsure.....you can select a file and click start without DRP. However; no file is created. So think DRP is still required...
It is. It never asked me for the drp location, so I didn't realize that is what it was using.

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Note that this relies on having the Dolby reference player installed, and it's using gstreamer.

192kbps

Note that this relies on having the Dolby reference player installed, and it's using gstreamer.
Thank you for letting me know. However, I already have DRP. I've never heard of GStreamer before, What is that, and what role did it play in this?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Thought it was worth mentioning for those that don't have DRP or are using a platform it doesn't support.

Gstreamer is an open source, cross platform multimedia framework, and used internally by a number of media players (among other things). The wikipedia page probably has a better overview than their home page. Having the codec implemented as a gstreamer plugin may open up its use to other gstreamer-based applications. It also makes me wonder if it could be used on linux with wine, similar to many vst plugins. Assuming the license doesn't have any terms limiting usage in these ways (in which case the linked script if probably problematic too)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A tip of the hat to the author Jonathan Cornell for all the time and work he put into this article-project.
I do have to add that his reasoning on,
"Considerably lower cost than a 7.1.4-compatible AVR"
is highly debatable. When you add together the software and hardware cost of this approach, I'm sure you
can come within a hair using a smartly purchased AVR.
This is much more a project for the dedicated DIY guy than a way to save a bunch of money.

Zajac

I don't use that method. You can loopback too for archiving. I don't care about video. I use DRP. I have compared DRP/Tidal vs Loopbacked Mac/Apple decoding and they sounded identical. Blu-ray Atmos music mixes are scarce, unlike streaming. It's a tradeoff but I am very happy with it.
What is the process for playing atmos music from Tidal through DRP?

Zajac

Oh, sorry, I thought DPR/Tidal meant some kind of a solution. So for now atmos streaming is only achieveable using loopbacked Mac and Apple Music app? I'm building an atmos system on PC and I was wondering if there is a simpler way to playback music from streaming platforms than to use another machine

192kbps

Oh, sorry, I thought DPR/Tidal meant some kind of a solution. So for now atmos streaming is only achieveable using loopbacked Mac and Apple Music app? I'm building an atmos system on PC and I was wondering if there is a simpler way to playback music from streaming platforms than to use another machine
Even for macOS, I remember it only works for Apple Music. Maybe I am wrong.

himey

There isn't a "simple" solution. DRP can't play any stream, only local files. If you simply want to stream Atmos, then an Apple TV 4K and an Apple Music subscription makes the most sense.

Zajac

drp.jpg

I saw this 'open network stream' option in DRP and thought it could manage streaming platforms. So Apple TV + AVR is still the easiest and most reliable way to do this, thanks.

himey

View attachment 275228

I saw this 'open network stream' option in DRP and thought it could manage streaming platforms. So Apple TV + AVR is still the easiest and most reliable way to do this, thanks.
Yes ATV+AM is certainly the easiest. Also, it will get you a "bed" audio experience with just a standard hdmi receiver that doesn't do Atmos.

Davide

The MacOS-based solution is very interesting. Do you think it works with the Dirac processor in multi-channel version?

OCA

Forum Donor
I am not sure how relevant that is under this topic but a while ago I have created 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos sine sweeps complete with acoustic timing reference signals which can be played with WMP and each Atmos speaker can be measured by REW (Room EQ wizard) in a PC for free. I used AWS Mediaconvert to create them and didn't cost me a penny although the process is quite cumbersome. If you ever need, you can download 256K length, 0-24kHz sweeps along with the reference wave file from the link below:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think if that $400 Dolby Atmos player would accept streamed Atmos Audio from Netflix, Amazon Prime and Tidal, it would be the key. Apparently, you can use a Mac to create an aggregate audio device which can have its master audio clock tied to one device, with any other device as the "slave", so no need for a 10 or more channel DAC. Lots of cheap speakers that could be used a height channels out there as well. Atmos on a budget really only needs one further, final barrier removed.

eSTeeM

Hey there, new here. Just reading up on this thread. When doing some tests I can see that all methods described lose the spatial data in the decoding, so the resulting data is essentially just channel data but you lose any dynamic movement. Using something like Canva to put the decoded files back together can show this fairly well.
I guess there's not currently a way to decode that metadata properly? At least, from an encoded atmos source (like eac3 joc or thd atmos etc).

himey

Hey there, new here. Just reading up on this thread. When doing some tests I can see that all methods described lose the spatial data in the decoding, so the resulting data is essentially just channel data but you lose any dynamic movement. Using something like Canva to put the decoded files back together can show this fairly well.
I guess there's not currently a way to decode that metadata properly? At least, from an encoded atmos source (like eac3 joc or thd atmos etc).
There is no "dynamic movement". Atmos is decoded based on the channel settings. 5.1.2, 7.1.4, ect.

Atmoslover78

There is no "dynamic movement". Atmos is decoded based on the channel settings. 5.1.2, 7.1.4, ect.

no one has yet created a correct parser atmos tool that retrieve ALL the configuration (bed + objects metadata) from the atmos master.

DRP + gstreamer just renders a static atmos
MMH does the same thing
Cavern is the only guy that tried something near pefect but it only works with DDP JOC and its implementation is also not correct as it gives you way less objects than in the source + wrong atmos metadata

so as of today Atmos is not yet decoded in a software way on pc. You guys are just playing 7.1.2 to 9.1.6 renders wav which is basically static atmos. Fine for you if you're satisfied with that but it's wrong.

Top Bottom